★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: ParkingLot or Grid Lock??

11-13-2008, 11:26 AM
ParkingLot or Grid Lock??

Ok, so I'm thinking of this style of game obviously.
Which one would you recommend and why?
11-13-2008, 11:27 AM
I don't have gridlock, but parking lot is great; great graphics, smooth play, and very challenging.

11-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Go for Parking lot...better graphics
11-13-2008, 11:36 AM
I have both and really don't have a preference. I guess i would go with whatever one has the most puzzles. And that's something i don't know off the top of my head.
11-13-2008, 11:51 AM
ParkingLot (350 levels) is the Japanese game Rush Hour. Has best graphics amongst the three. Get yellow car to exit.

Blocked (100 levels) Remembers completed levels. Must complete easy level to move on to next difficulty level and so on.

Gridlock (160 levels) and has car graphics.
11-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbass View Post
ParkingLot (350 levels) is the Japanese game Rush Hour. Has best graphics amongst the three. Get yellow car to exit.

Blocked (100 levels) Remembers completed levels. Must complete easy level to move on to next difficulty level and so on.

Gridlock (160 levels) and has car graphics.
You mention that Blocked remembers completed levels. Does this mean that ParkingLot does not? As in, every time I exit the app, I'll have to start again from scratch?
11-13-2008, 12:05 PM
A summary of them all...

Game: Parking Lot
Price: 1.19 (UK)
No. of puzzles: 350
Looks: OK, but very cluttered and busy.
Features: Minimum moves shown. Number of moves recorded.

Game: Gridlock
Price: 1.19 (UK)
No. of puzzles: 160
Looks: Bloody ugly! Just awful!
Features: Minimum moves shown. "100's more puzzles" promised in V2.

Game: Blocked
Price: 0.59 (UK)
No. of puzzles: 100
Looks: Best interface of the lot, visually and aesthetically. Gorgeous!
Features: Cheapest.

My opinion? Well, even though Blocked has the fewest levels, and the fewest features, I'd still recommend this one over the other two, because it is SO much more attractive. And it's the cheapest.
Why not email the developer and ask him if he has any plans to add any more levels or move-counters, etc.

Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox
11-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks for pointing these out, I hadn't heard of any of these. Think I'll pick up Parking Lot.

The only similar game I have is AneRouge ("Red Donkey"), that only has one level, but it's a doozy. Or else I'm stupid.
11-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettArchibald View Post
Game: Blocked
Price: 0.59 (UK)
No. of puzzles: 100
Looks: Best interface of the lot, visually and aesthetically. Gorgeous!
Features: Cheapest.

My opinion? Well, even though Blocked has the fewest levels, and the fewest features, I'd still recommend this one over the other two, because it is SO much more attractive. And it's the cheapest.
Why not email the developer and ask him if he has any plans to add any more levels or move-counters, etc.
11-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingOnThis View Post
It's a simple game (in terms of the premise of the game, not necessarily in terms of completing the levels), so the simple graphics complement it beautifully.
The hand-drawn sketch on notepaper feel adds a certain touch, which prevents it from looking TOO simple.

It's just a puzzle game, and all you want to do is slide a few blocks around. The other two games are just WAY too cluttered to be attractive, and after awhile all that extra glitz and glam just gets in the way of the gameplay. You don't need to see the seats in the cars or the handicapped signs in the parking spaces, the speedometer-themed difficulty gauge, etc.
Nice maybe, but just too much stuff crammed into such a small screen.

Sometimes less is more.

This is all just my own personal opinions, however. To each his own.

Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox