Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Those folks who didn't read the upcoming thread are the lucky ones .
Lol glad you took that the right way, realized that it could come across wrong so I went back and added a : p, but by then you'd already seen it.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the9quad View Post
Lol glad you took that the right way, realized that it could come across wrong so I went back and added a : p, but by then you'd already seen it.
Trust me: I much prefer not to police threads for content. And even if you were 100% serious i still wouldn't be offended by questions about my "editorial" choices.

Unfortunately there are some subjects that seem to quickly lead to utter pointlessness. People come to this thread to learn about the game (both bad and good). Someone's feeling about the aesthetics of a particular system's default fonts add nothing to the discussion.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero
Man, you've got to learn to deliver your opinion as option, instead of delivering it as cold-hard fact. There are reasons to prefer the UI in the iOS version: the type is much easier to read, and the single display keeps one focuses on the action instead of the stat screen (this is true of many DS games, BTW). There are also folks for whom a console-style save system is a deal breaker on a portable game -- especially folks who like to play several games at once depending on the circumstances.

The DS version definitely looks sharper, but sharpness is not an absolute value. There's a certain hipster/nostalgic value to seeing individual pixels, but for me a bit of softness around the edges helps give solidity to the sprites and the environment. Putting the two screens side by side, Crono comes across better as a character in the OS version than in the DS one (where he looks more like a collection of pixels). To my eyes, of course -- I don't presume to speak from your perspective.

[opinion]

yeah, I can see why people (especially those without a DS) would prefer the iOS port over the DS port. unlike jeffmd, I've actually played the DS and iPhone ports and I agree that the font is clearer on the iOS version but that's about it. the change to the UI while nice isn't enough (for me) to ignore the mediocre but minor joystick controls.

The thing that gets me the most in addition to the joystick control, is the horrendous targeting on an iPhone 4S screen. the arrows are so small, I mistarget constantly unless I slow down and do it carefully, which is a major and unforgivable annoyance since I like fast paced/active battles. to reiterate, the new UI is nice but not enough to overlook the minor joystick control and major targeting issues. it was just annoying to hear some kid (WHO IS IGNORED BTW) say the new UI was enough to overshadow the poor controls and compare it to the DS version right after say that he's rarely played CT on an emu with zero progress and has owned 0 CT games. it's just irritating to see people who can lie so brazenly so I called him out on it and then some.

As for the graphics, maybe it is nostalgia, maybe not, but the iOS graphics just look blurry to me--but it's a tolerable issue when compared to the aforementioned flaws. Although, SE should have done much more in that department... 600MB of FLAC audio? come on! how many iPhone gamers carry around or even own FLAC quality headphones?

The quick-save (bookmarking?) option is definitely a plus and I can see why iOS gamers would want/need one. But saving is a non-issue for me, save points are littered everywhere in the game and with the short dungeons and the world map-- it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

[/opinion]
Old 12-10-2011, 10:03 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan88 View Post
[opinion]

yeah, I can see why people (especially those without a DS) would prefer the iOS port over the DS port. unlike jeffmd, I've actually played the DS and iPhone ports and I agree that the font is clearer on the iOS version but that's about it. the change to the UI while nice isn't enough (for me) to ignore the mediocre but minor joystick controls.

The thing that gets me the most in addition to the joystick control, is the horrendous targeting on an iPhone 4S screen. the arrows are so small, I mistarget constantly unless I slow down and do it carefully, which is a major and unforgivable annoyance since I like fast paced/active battles. to reiterate, the new UI is nice but not enough to overlook the minor joystick control and major targeting issues. it was just annoying to hear some kid (WHO IS IGNORED BTW) say the new UI was enough to overshadow the poor controls and compare it to the DS version right after say that he's rarely played CT on an emu with zero progress and has owned 0 CT games. it's just irritating to see people who can lie so brazenly so I called him out on it and then some.

As for the graphics, maybe it is nostalgia, maybe not, but the iOS graphics just look blurry to me--but it's a tolerable issue when compared to the aforementioned flaws. Although, SE should have done much more in that department... 600MB of FLAC audio? come on! how many iPhone gamers carry around or even own FLAC quality headphones?

The quick-save (bookmarking?) option is definitely a plus and I can see why iOS gamers would want/need one. But saving is a non-issue for me, save points are littered everywhere in the game and with the short dungeons and the world map-- it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

[/opinion]
Don't have a DS, never played CT before

I agree about targeting and joystick. Annoying. And about the audio. I don't know how the old graphics looked, nor how they looked on the DS. But to me, It looks great. I normally prefer sharp graphics, but I like the look of this on my Itouch 4g. Maybe it's my eyes. Am i completely missing something about how it looked before whatever SE did to it, or were people expecting FF3 level graphics?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
[opinion]

[/opinion]
Thanks for the change in tone -- I truly appreciate it. I agree that the biggest problem in the OS version is the interaction targeting. Setting the movement speed to walking helps a lot, but there are definitely better implementation of virtual sticks out there.

Saving in the original CT is definitely better than, say, Secret of Mana. But if you have only a set time to play (a train commute, for example) the bookmark options is still an excellent addition.

I would never argue that this version of CT is perfect or "definitive" (I would give that honor to the DS version, actually). But I think this is a reasonable version of a true classic that happens to fit very well into my lifestyle.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:55 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddToKmart View Post
If only this had Mage Gauntlet -type controls...
...It should be an instant-buy for me. MG controls are perfect.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:24 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 4.x

Quote:
[opinion]
it was just annoying to hear some kid (WHO IS IGNORED BTW) say the new UI was enough to overshadow the poor controls and compare it to the DS version right after say that he's rarely played CT on an emu with zero progress and has owned 0 CT games. it's just irritating to see people who can lie so brazenly so I called him out on it and then some.

[/opinion]
Saddly you just start off ignoring people on your own ASSumptions, but I kind of played the hell out of the snes version, uncovering about 5 of the 7 endings in it. So yea, I kind of know what i am talking about. The emu play was only for nostalgia. I can see where you are coming from on the targeting.. but its always been one of the caveats of touch screens. You just need to remember to swipe to change targets. I am sorry its now harder to play your fast pace no wait action life style because of it.

Who has flac quality headphones? I have flac quality headphones! Infact I think its a disservice to the music industry and criminal for people to run around with crappy headphones. Btw I don't think its lossless.. its still compressed audio. All of squares final fantasy releases are the same way, none of them emulated the realtime music.

As for the bookmark feature, clearly you only play at home or something. -_-
Old 12-10-2011, 12:26 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

if it matters, I also have headphones that are VERY nice... can definitely tell the difference between FLAC and mp3...
Old 12-10-2011, 02:18 PM

Default Game Impressions

This game is amazing; story-wise, gameplay-wise, soundtrack-wise, etc! Okay, enough with good and on to the not so good.

Despite my initial qualms about the joystick, I am content with the way it's working out. That said, I still occasionally run into walls, run when I want to walk, and vice versa. No big deal. However, I'm not fond of having to scroll through the item inventory during combat. An actual paging option like the one used for abilities would have been fantastic. Nevertheless, I would have much preferred a directional pad but the joystick is working just fine.

Aside from the joystick issue, I had a little trouble targeting enemies and allies. That was until I found out that you can tap the "TARGET" button instead of the tiny arrows.

I'm still not a fan of the font, whatever. As for the graphics, they most definitely could have been better but I don't really care. Maybe because I've never played this game on a DS or VC? Anyway, this is a pretty decent port of an absolutely incredible game! I'm just glad it didn't turn out like FFT or SoM.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:33 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Hmm, the game just got a critical review on Touchgen. I'm quite surprised actually. Most of iTunes reviews are positive, and majority of people in this thread is enjoying the game despite that it is the usual Square Enix port, so it is not perfect.

Iím currently in an advanced state of hovering-over-the-buy-button . Only 15 bucks on my iTunes account, seems like I will need a gift card before Christmas sales anyway. The nostalgia of playing this game as a 7-8 year old boy is too freaking strong