★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Freemium - what do you love & what do you hate?

12-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Freemium - what do you love & what do you hate?

Freemium games are probably the most controversial group of games in the App store. Some people clearly love them and they pay huge $$ to the developers. Others hate them because some games make you pay through the nose to so much as fart every 5 minutes.

I like the idea of being able to (in theory) download the game for free and never pay a dime to complete it. But for most freemium games, that seems virtually impossible, unless you have incredible patience.

So. What are the best freemium iOS games? And justify that with an explanation of what features make it good.
12-08-2011, 09:31 PM
I don't think anyone has done it better than Nimblebit as of yet. I also have a gut feeling that even the people who spend a load of money on freemium games kinda hate them too, after looking back and realising it probably wasn't worth it.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

12-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Dislikes: Often poorly done, annoying, and rarely fun to play.

My personal favorite is Slam Dunk King by PikPok. It has fun gameplay, a lot of unlockables, admittedly with hefty prices but still reachable with grinding (and boy is it fun to grind in this game!) unobtrusive ads (non-gameplay, so it's easy to ignore them if you have to), and multiple modes. I also love Temple Run, but I paid money to buy it (now freemium) so it's debatable whether you can call it freemium to me.

I don't want a signature.
12-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
I don't think anyone has done it better than Nimblebit as of yet.
Agreed. The thing with freemium games is that the iAPs should be unobtrusive, meaning you can have a great/full experience without buying any, and should you want to purchase some, the store isn't overwhelming. Pocket Frogs and Tiny Towers do both perfectly. For someone who hates Farmville clones, I've spent quite some time with Nimblebit's titles in the past. Tiny Towers is Apple's GOTY for a reason, after all.

Twitter: @back2this
12-08-2011, 10:42 PM
I liked Pocket Frogs a lot more than I have Tiny Tower...

Anyway, Freemium. Anything that doesn't restrict gameplay - that's really the gist of it. If I get to play a game that's well-made, even better. I'll even make sure to throw a buck or two the developer's way.

Need professional proofreading, editing or writing that won't break your budget?
Contact me at youarelowonhealth.com or via PM.
12-08-2011, 10:48 PM
I love:

>Leveling up and XP

>The free pricetag

I hate:

>Taking too long to unlock content

>Grinding
12-09-2011, 08:44 AM
When it comes to freemium games, if I'm enjoying the game enough, I'll shell out for bag/inventory space upgrades if they are available (those are usually only $0.99 anyways). I'll also unlock extra levels or areas or whatever...Like, if Let's Golf! 3 allowed you to pay to unlock a course for free play, I'd pay for that.

I never pay for extra in game currency, extra "energy", or anything cosmetic.

Device: iPhone 6S+, iPad Mini 4
Game Center: nicoga3000
12-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Freemium games I like:

Tiny Tower - never thought I'd be spending so much time with this sort of a game
Cordy - not really a freemium as 1 payment unlocks the full game, but still
Bullet Time

Freemium games I hate:

ANY Gameloft freemium
Any game that needs IAPs to even play it properly.

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
12-09-2011, 12:15 PM
With most freemium games the only good point I can find is the fact that they are free. Everything else about them makes me want to delete them and install them again, just so I can have the pleasure of deleting them again :P

Bullet Time HD and Nightworld are the only freemium games I've enjoyed. Well Nightworld was only free for a the first few days, but it has IAP like a freemium game.

I tried Tiny Tower, and hated it, with passion. Nothing to do with the freemium model, I just couldn't stand the look of the game (normally I don't mind arcade style graphics) and the gameplay. I don't like cities either so that's probably part of the reason I didn't like it.

Pretty much all the other freemium games I ignore and wish they would die a quick death (not likely ).

Hakuna Matata
12-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Likes: When a game is free, and you can unlock the entire game as a one time IAP. Also when there are no annoying ads, and instead the IAP is an option on the home screen like an "Unlock full version now" button.

Dislikes: Pay to play, consumables, and any other freemium where you must continuously pay. Here's lookin' at you, Lameloft.

Game Center ID: Quazonk
Twitter: @GomeraMosking