★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Iphone games in November 2009

11-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Iphone games in November 2009

What are people's impressions/expectations by then? Will we have true PSP and DS quality games by then; will those games cost more than $9.99; what kinds of games can we expect; will multiplayer take off; will the iphone effectively replace other game consoles; will mobile phones effectively replace all game consoles;

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are where we'll be next year
11-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vende View Post
What are people's impressions/expectations by then? Will we have true PSP and DS quality games by then; will those games cost more than $9.99; what kinds of games can we expect; will multiplayer take off; will the iphone effectively replace other game consoles; will mobile phones effectively replace all game consoles;

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are where we'll be next year
I'm hoping it expands in all directions... there is enough room for it all, so why not? No way will it replace all consoles... it targets a more casual gamer, generally, and hard core gamers are always going to be playing consoles. I wonder if it could take a bite out of the DS market though, which does also target casual gamers(unlike the psp).

11-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Send a message via AIM to fpugirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaswills View Post
I'm hoping it expands in all directions... there is enough room for it all, so why not? No way will it replace all consoles... it targets a more casual gamer, generally, and hard core gamers are always going to be playing consoles. I wonder if it could take a bite out of the DS market though, which does also target casual gamers(unlike the psp).
I for one have not picked up my DS in like 4 months and really have no desire to play it because it is just one extra thing I have to carry around when I am out and about. So I definitely seeing it take away from some of that market. I think one huge barrier it has right now though is the battery....especially for the iphone. Maybe by nov 2009 it will be a longer lasting battery allowing for longer games.

I'm on twitter: http://twitter.com/fpugirl iTD, 7 Cities, The Creeps, geoDefense (i love TD games!!), Supermarket mania, Stone Loops...current fave games
11-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpugirl View Post
I for one have not picked up my DS in like 4 months and really have no desire to play it because it is just one extra thing I have to carry around when I am out and about.

Agreed. One of the iphone's greatest points of leverage within the gaming market is that it is a principle accessory–people will always carry it with them. There is an inherent activation energy to port around n +1 accessories, such as a separate gaming console, which only the serious gamers buy anyway. Furthermore, these serious gamers are a relatively small fraction of the potential gaming market as a whole–the much larger market being those who have cell phones (iphones specifically) and need to pass time during random periods of the day/night.
11-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Send a message via AIM to superbad
i have 3 ipods, a psp, a ds original, a ds lite and all i carry now is my iphone.

why?

portability and fairly great games almost at par with console games.
11-13-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm hoping November will be huge for iphone games.

I'm still waiting for this Tiger Woods '09 to come out, can't wait to see what EA can come up with as far as accelerometer controls and what not. Hopefully they don't screw it up with a bunch of extra crap.

As far as the future of iphone gaming within a years time?

I think the online gaming scene is where its at personally. Yea yea, this is gonna be a huge battery hog. Were starting to see some more games transfer over to the online multiplayer compatibility and I hope it catches on like wildfire.

I love online gaming in general and I think having this power in your pocket whenever, wherever you are besides sitting at home on your 360 or at your pc (I know complete different platforms) would be just fantastic.
11-13-2008, 02:01 PM
If they keep improving the battery, and maybe the GPU (Graphics Processor) Yea I think Iphone will destroy the mobile gaming market... Keep in mind Iphone has a leg up on all the competition in regards to the games and apps it gets. The G1 Android Google phone has thier own version of the app store, but the graphics and central processor are too underpowered to deliver game quality like we have now, and I'm on a year old 2G Iphone... I think if Apple continues in the direction they are headed and can continually improve on the hardware we will be set WAY ahead of the rest...
11-13-2008, 02:47 PM
I think we'll be seeing a lot more online multiplayer games.
11-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337brian View Post
If they keep improving the battery, and maybe the GPU (Graphics Processor) Yea I think Iphone will destroy the mobile gaming market... .
It will never be destroyed.... there is always enough room for more than one platform and Nintendo will never die because they have so many followers and some many loved franchises which they won't allow on the iPhone. It is funny though, a few years ago I read some rumors that Apple was looking to buy Nintendo but it will never happen because Nintendo will never sell itself to a foreign company.

Android also, is an OS, not the hardware.... as more come out iPhone will have some more competition... there will be better hardware for the android, heck, if someone wanted to they could put android on the iphone hardware with a lot of work. Just something to keep an eye out for.
11-13-2008, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpugirl View Post
I for one have not picked up my DS in like 4 months and really have no desire to play it because it is just one extra thing I have to carry around when I am out and about. So I definitely seeing it take away from some of that market.
I completely agree because I have done exactly the same. My DS hasn't come out of it's case since the app store launched. It's games cost so much more. You have to have a cartridge for each game that's not only more awkward having to swap every time you want to play something new, but also takes up more room as you will no doubt require a case to store them in. The games don't come with free updates. You have to order them online and wait for delivery or buy them in a shop.
Obviously Nintendo are in the process of taking steps to overcome some of these issues. But until then, we are proof that the app store is certainly having an effect on Nintendo's sales.