★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Prediction: 2 Years Before Skyrim Level Game On iOS

12-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Prediction: 2 Years Before Skyrim Level Game On iOS

Skyrim is very playable on my Core 2 Duo with 9600GT at medium details, and this is at a much higher resolution (1680 x 1050) than say, the iPhone 4S screen. The iPhone 4S hardware is already not that far behind vs my PC, and I expect the next revision or two to improve things more.

The combat is also very simple, and if you look at games like Aralon it is not that far behind in combat mechanics and UI. Because of the general slower pace of the game it suits touch screens more than say, Modern Combat 3 (which is seriously an amazing rendition of Modern Warfare 3 for iOS, props to Gameloft for pulling this off so soon!) as it does not require a high level of precision.

PC hardware hasn't been moving forward much unless you are looking to run games at max resolution / details, while smart phone hardware is moving forward at breakneck speed. I think once smart phones reach Core 2 Duo levels, we will have all the firepower we need. Skyrim has like a gazillion pieces of little objects like cups, candles, utensils etc, a lot of this stuff can be eliminated for a mobile version. Graphics/drawing distance can also be toned down significantly and still look amazing because the screen is smaller than PC/Console.

While iPhone doesn't have the same memory of a PC, it is got flash storage, so the loading time is significantly quicker than PC. The world can be divided into smaller regions and we will be all set! Dungeons can be made smaller as well to compensate. Think Capcom's Street Fighter 4 to Street Fighter Volt on iPhone, now think Skyrim made mobile friendly, it is definitely possible! Of course, the real challenge is whether Bethesda is willing to make such a heavy investment. I think they may very well try with older games like Morrowind to test the market. They will probably also wait to see if Rockstar's GTA 3 performs well.

I am already amazed with Aralon by the way, I definitely think Skyrim is within reach! To think Aralon runs on the 3GS! In two years 4S will be baseline and things will get very interesting! Airplay to big screen TV with your phone as controller!

Last edited by hitmantb; 12-11-2011 at 04:27 PM.
12-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Nullroar
Order & Chaos really drives it home for me. It's amazing.

That said, it's all about SFIV Volt

I've placed geocached DRM-free USB copies of my newest game in various locations throughout Europe and Southeastern US. Email me if you find 'em for the free "explorer" cape.

12-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Maybe in 5 years, but I can't really see this happening in 2 years. As great as Aralon is, it's still a far cry from Skyrim.

Hakuna Matata
12-11-2011, 05:31 PM
I doubt that Skyrim would be available in 2 years, I just don't think technology is gonna progress that fast, maybe in 3-4. I also think comparing Aralon to Skyrim is a bit of a far shot, don't want to put Aralon down or anything, but its pretty far from Skyrim, that and you really can't compare the combat in the two as they are pretty different (Aralon is kinda like standard mmorpg combat except for the blocking/parrying thing, while Skyrim's combat is a lot more like a shooters combat (fps/tps) with melee thrown in).

Lightning Strike Games Development Blog
12-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Keep in mind Aralon works on 3GS and was in development in 2010.

In 2009, if I showed you Aralon and said this is what you will be playing on your phone in two years, would you believe me?

Of course I am not saying you will get a 100% port of Skyrim, but it really doesn't have to! If the minimum system requirement is 4S, not 3GS, I believe we will be very close!
12-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmantb View Post
Keep in mind Aralon works on 3GS and was in development in 2010.

In 2009, if I showed you Aralon and said this is what you will be playing on your phone in two years, would you believe me?

Of course I am not saying you will get a 100% port of Skyrim, but it really doesn't have to! If the minimum system requirement is 4S, not 3GS, I believe we will be very close!
I realize that I know your not saying a full Skyrim port of course. I'm just saying there combat is quite different, and still I don't believe we'll get it for at least the next three years, but I could be very wrong, and would be happy to be wrong about that.

Lightning Strike Games Development Blog
12-12-2011, 12:26 PM
I say two or maybe three years, mobile gaming is moving at a rapid pace, i mean seriously have you seen shadowgun on TEGRA 3 for android? Absolutely amazing, just imagine what the a6 and a7 have to offer in the years to come, and thats just CPU i believe. Wait til iOS and android devices get a GPU like the ps vita or better.

Currently Playing: Shadowgun, GTA3 Anniversary, Dead Space, FIFA 12, Dungeon Hunter 3
Waiting on: Battlefield 3 Aftershock, Real Racing 3, Mass Effect 3. NOVA 3
Beta Tested: Stir Fry, Lightopus
12-12-2011, 12:56 PM
I'd say at least 3 years. Unless Apple/Samsung/Nokia/HTC or any other company do a smartphone the size of Galaxy Note, make it fast as frickin lightning and Skyrim goes available on Onlive, I don't see it happening before at least that 3 year.

Of course a smaller port of Skyrim would be possible even now!

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
12-12-2011, 03:18 PM
It's not really a problem of technology but rather the way the appstore is built around short dev cycle and low budget. I know it's not the case for every game but until someone has the guts to do a full "premium" title priced around 40$, there's no way that a game will have the same breadth of content as Skyrim for 2 or 3 bucks. When you factor in the cost , it would be a huge gamble to release it for a price like that.
We really need a change of mindset from gamers and devs but with the arrival of freemium as of late, isn't it too late? And would a premium, console like title, priced at 40$ really sell?

Follow me on Twitter for all the latest iOS news. And sometimes more.

Last edited by killercow; 12-12-2011 at 03:53 PM.
12-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLavi View Post
I'd say at least 3 years. Unless Apple/Samsung/Nokia/HTC or any other company do a smartphone the size of Galaxy Note, make it fast as frickin lightning and Skyrim goes available on Onlive, I don't see it happening before at least that 3 year.

Of course a smaller port of Skyrim would be possible even now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercow View Post
It's not really a problem of technology but rather the way the appstore is built around short dev cycle and low budget. I know it's not the case for every game but until someone has the guts to do a full "premium" title priced around 40$, there's no way that a game will have the same breadth of content as Skyrim for 2 or 3 bucks. When you factor in the cost , it would be a huge gamble to release it for a price like that.
We really need a change of mindset from gamers and devs but with the arrival of freemium as of late, isn't it too late? And would a premium, console like title, priced at 40$ really sell?
I agree with both of these posts!

For LOLavi, I agree that the technology won't be there for another 3 or so years. General users are definitely pushing technology at a higher pace than manufacturers nowadays, or at least it seems that way. For example, a lot of people think that the iPad 3 will have retina display, but analysts, reviewers, and myself lean completely in the opposite direction.

As far as killercow's post, the AppStore needs a serious revamp in premium category. Plenty of developers won't make $10-20 premium games when people express that they are happy with a freemium model. Look at Six Guns, people are overly joyed to have a mediocre game running on their device just because it didn't cost them a dime. But I bet a lot of those same people will eventually pay for an IAP; maybe, maybe not.

In addition to these posts, I guess you should just look at the evolution of gaming. The latest generation of console games have been out for 6 years and still have better graphics than mobile devices which get updated every year. Even though mobile devices are getting updated at a staggering rate, I think the next gen of consoles will still have them beat until the 4th gen consoles come out.

We may get a mobile game that looks like Skyrim in the next 4 years on, but what will a game for the PS4 and Xbox 720 look like at the same time? Polygon count and textures won't be catching up to consoles for a very long while IMO. Hell, at this moment, Naughty Dog has said that they won't/can't make an Uncharted 4 for the PS3.

To get back to PCs, computers get upgraded every year. Maybe, the specs for the average user don't change drastically, but high-end gaming computers are on a different spectrum. However, these are the computers that most people can't afford or aren't willing to pay for.

PCs also offer 60+ FPS, more customization and tweaks, up to 2500x1620 resolution, higher multiplayer count, better antialiasing due to customization. PCs will also always offer enough resources for anisotropic filtering!

In all honesty, being on TA has helped me REALLY realize that you can't compare the 3. What you can say is one will catch up to the other, but then the other will push ahead to something better.

If anything, we will just hit the point where the naked eye can't notice any of these things and none of this talk will matter. You can decide to play one of the three platforms, all three, or some sort of official gaming hub that ties them together.

Game Center: GoofyJmaster My Twitter; Weekly Game Impressions! Thread; Game Guide 2011
Playing Frederic Resurrection of Music, Jazz: Trump's Journey, Russian Dancing Men, & Cytus