★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Has any game maxed out the a5 chip?

12-11-2011, 09:54 PM
#1
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 62
Has any game maxed out the a5 chip?

the PS vita launches in february and the Tegra 3 chip for android devices has some true horspower. Apple has yet to announce and Ipod touch5g and i will be really disappointed if they release an iphone 5 and ipad 3 with a6 but release ipod with a5. So i was wondering if the a5 chip has been maxed out on certain games like infinity blade 2 and real racing 2, this is just so i can see if getting ps vita is a better decision than an ipod touch5g.

Currently Playing: Shadowgun, GTA3 Anniversary, Dead Space, FIFA 12, Dungeon Hunter 3
Waiting on: Battlefield 3 Aftershock, Real Racing 3, Mass Effect 3. NOVA 3
Beta Tested: Stir Fry, Lightopus
12-11-2011, 10:38 PM
#2
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 307
Ps vita would be top end for first 6 months, then it will be obsolete in a year. With hardware, you pretty much need to upgrade every two years (performance doubled)

Console portable gaming is dying. Go mobile!

12-11-2011, 10:41 PM
#3
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Here
Posts: 1,399
In all honesty, if you keep the 4th gen itouch (as i assume you have by your profile, if not then disregard) and get a vita, you'll probly have the best of both worlds, since the 5th gen likely wouldn't bring much new to the table for you. Plus the Vita is locked in as COMING, with a day for it's release (february if I'm right). Apple has NEVER once talked about a 5th gen itouch...so expect a longer wait.

I don't want a signature.
12-11-2011, 10:43 PM
#4
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerBlue016 View Post
In all honesty, if you keep the 4th gen itouch (as i assume you have by your profile, if not then disregard) and get a vita, you'll probly have the best of both worlds, since the 5th gen likely wouldn't bring much new to the table for you. Plus the Vita is locked in as COMING, with a day for it's release (february if I'm right). Apple has NEVER once talked about a 5th gen itouch...so expect a longer wait.
Late 2012.
12-11-2011, 10:55 PM
#5
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xapped View Post
Ps vita would be top end for first 6 months, then it will be obsolete in a year. With hardware, you pretty much need to upgrade every two years (performance doubled)

Console portable gaming is dying. Go mobile!
Im not so sure about that, just as apple devices get updates every year, i read an article about the ps vita saying that once the new GPU from ARM(Series6 rogue) is released(which im sure will be before the end of 2012) the ps vita will get an update.

Currently Playing: Shadowgun, GTA3 Anniversary, Dead Space, FIFA 12, Dungeon Hunter 3
Waiting on: Battlefield 3 Aftershock, Real Racing 3, Mass Effect 3. NOVA 3
Beta Tested: Stir Fry, Lightopus

Last edited by Defiance211; 12-11-2011 at 11:05 PM.
12-11-2011, 11:01 PM
#6
If ipad3 is going to be retina, then they will need a new chip. That being said, A5 performs as well, if not better than the tegra 3 in the benchmarks so far, it remains to be seen whether that is due to the benchmarkds themselves (favorable to ios) or whether it's due to the A5 being a beast.
12-12-2011, 03:39 AM
#7
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: the stars
Posts: 491
No

I don't think so. I think like most new hardware that it will take time to optimize its performance. Even though games like mc3 and GOF 2hd run into lagging issues, it's not the power that's lacking (for these cases) but the manner in which the code was written/handled.

In time, just like the 3GS and 4, you will see a gradual increase in performance and graphics.

*** Wonder what the a6 will be like?
Dual core 2.0g
Quad core 1.2g

Pc wars from the 90's all over again. Screw recycling old stuff on a handheld. Bring holograms already. Or the Mozilla sea breeze thingy.
12-12-2011, 03:53 AM
#8
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by weehoo View Post
I don't think so. I think like most new hardware that it will take time to optimize its performance. Even though games like mc3 and GOF 2hd run into lagging issues, it's not the power that's lacking (for these cases) but the manner in which the code was written/handled.

In time, just like the 3GS and 4, you will see a gradual increase in performance and graphics.

*** Wonder what the a6 will be like?
Dual core 2.0g
Quad core 1.2g

Pc wars from the 90's all over again. Screw recycling old stuff on a handheld. Bring holograms already. Or the Mozilla sea breeze thingy.
That's absolutely correct. As a programmer myself, I don't optimize code unless I need to. it's a waste of time.
12-12-2011, 09:38 AM
#9
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: India
Posts: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by the9quad View Post
If ipad3 is going to be retina, then they will need a new chip. That being said, A5 performs as well, if not better than the tegra 3 in the benchmarks so far, it remains to be seen whether that is due to the benchmarkds themselves (favorable to ios) or whether it's due to the A5 being a beast.
I will probably be killed for this, but I hope IPAD3 is not retina. A lot of processing will go just into generating retina visuals at current graphic detailing levels. As it is, games look great on iPad. I'd rather the additional processing power of IPAD 3 gets spent on textures and polygons and effects instead of additional pixels.

And I am not even sure what will happen to game sizes with a 10 inch retina enabled game.

---------------------------
Mom Says Get Married!!
12-12-2011, 01:02 PM
#10
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerBlue016 View Post
In all honesty, if you keep the 4th gen itouch (as i assume you have by your profile, if not then disregard) and get a vita, you'll probly have the best of both worlds, since the 5th gen likely wouldn't bring much new to the table for you. Plus the Vita is locked in as COMING, with a day for it's release (february if I'm right). Apple has NEVER once talked about a 5th gen itouch...so expect a longer wait.
Yeah, if the Vita is going to be your primary device stick with the iTouch 4. If the iTouch was going to be your primary device then iTouch 5 all the way.

Also, I highly doubt the iTouch 5 doesn't have the A6. If anything, I think, Apple will try and sell the iTouch 4 as an iTouch 5 8GB. But I don't see them pulling this same trick twice (but who knows).

Personally, I wish Android had a better gaming community because then I could fully jump ship. As of now, I'm being forced to use two devices. Plus as I've stated in another thread 4.67" is the best display size IMO.


Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey View Post
I will probably be killed for this, but I hope IPAD3 is not retina. A lot of processing will go just into generating retina visuals at current graphic detailing levels. As it is, games look great on iPad. I'd rather the additional processing power of IPAD 3 gets spent on textures and polygons and effects instead of additional pixels.

And I am not even sure what will happen to game sizes with a 10 inch retina enabled game.
Yeah, from everything I've read, there won't be an iPad with retina display. Pretty much all the analysts seem skeptical because of the needed tech and battery sustainability. But who knows what Apple will surprise us with (good or bad), especially now that the Kindle Fire has come out guns a blazin' and the iPhone 4s is starting to seem quite lackluster.

Game Center: GoofyJmaster My Twitter; Weekly Game Impressions! Thread; Game Guide 2011
Playing Frederic Resurrection of Music, Jazz: Trump's Journey, Russian Dancing Men, & Cytus