Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 05-14-2012, 11:51 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Oh yes, forgot to mention this but shadowgun runs a a great framerate. It runs at 2048x1536, and has 4x antialiasing.
And it looks better on android anyway.

iPad 3 was beat by the Samsung S3 in graphics benchmarks a few days ago I suspect a lot of phones will start doing the same now.

Also video ram is much more effective than shared RAM which is already being hammered by IOS running, and trying to dismiss double the CPU power is wishful thinking. Fact is the iPad 2 is a better gaming machine due to the silly resolution.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:01 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post

iPad 3 was beat by the Samsung S3 in graphics benchmarks a few days ago I suspect a lot of phones will start doing the same now.

Also video ram is much more effective than shared RAM which is already being hammered by IOS running, and trying to dismiss double the CPU power is wishful thinking. Fact is the iPad 2 is a better gaming machine due to the silly resolution.
The S3 beats on PAPER, perhaps, but what about the shitty OS? We all know android hogs system resources like crazy. I'd have to see what benchmark was used, besides. It's hard to compare android and iOS systems because they are so different.

Shadowgun was specifically designed with tegra 3. Mad finger said that they would not port over the extra effects for that reason.

The CPU is not relevant for gaming. It's the gpu, gpu, gpu and ram. And as for the iPad 2, the 3rd was twice as powerful at native resolution. Again, most games either won't be released in native res or will have a toggle like nova will and galaxy on fire does.

And, despite all you have said, resistance looks like crap compared to nova 3 mc3 on retina. And I can't get past the 8 player limit on multi...
Old 05-15-2012, 12:04 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:

But I want to get into a stupid vita vs ipad spec war. They're both powerful devices capable of pushing very sharp-looking games. Suffice it to say that at this point, iOS shooters look superior to the vita's. Wait for the vita to mature.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
The S3 beats on PAPER, perhaps, but what about the shitty OS? We all know android hogs system resources like crazy. I'd have to see what benchmark was used, besides. It's hard to compare android and iOS systems because they are so different.

Shadowgun was specifically designed with tegra 3. Mad finger said that they would not port over the extra effects for that reason.

The CPU is not relevant for gaming. It's the gpu, gpu, gpu and ram. And as for the iPad 2, the 3rd was twice as powerful at native resolution. Again, most games either won't be released in native res or will have a toggle like nova will and galaxy on fire does.

And, despite all you have said, resistance looks like crap compared to nova 3 mc3 on retina. And I can't get past the 8 player limit on multi...
I'm going to refrain from replying to your posts just so I don't help drag the thread down.

But we will see what the reviews say when Resistance Burning Skies is actually out, I'm quite confident it will be ten times the game compared to Nova 3 and the reviews will reflect it.

Quote:
But I want to get into a stupid vita vs ipad spec war. They're both powerful devices capable of pushing very sharp-looking games. Suffice it to say that at this point, iOS shooters look superior to the vita's. Wait for the vita to mature.
I don't want to bash the iPad 3 either they share almost the same GPU, so are capable of almost the same graphics not taking resolution and controls into account, the latter is very important to me when it comes to fps games.

Last edited by Teknikal; 05-15-2012 at 12:26 AM..
Old 05-15-2012, 12:49 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
I'm going to refrain from replying to your posts just so I don't help drag the thread down.

But we will see what the reviews say when Resistance Burning Skies is actually out, I'm quite confident it will be ten times the game compared to Nova 3 and the reviews will reflect it.

I don't want to bash the iPad 3 either they share almost the same GPU, so are capable of almost the same graphics not taking resolution and controls into account, the latter is very important to me when it comes to fps games.
Ok. You make good points. I'll leave you guys in peace as a drawn out debate wasn't my original intention.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Ok. You make good points. I'll leave you guys in peace as a drawn out debate wasn't my original intention.
Wouldn't worry it's at least partly my fault I find it hard not to defend the Vita when I've been playing it daily I suspect I'd feel the same way about the iPad 3 if I bought one.

On another Vita related topic there a rumour that two upcoming E3 titles have been leaked.

http://i.imgur.com/GKjgb.jpg

Whether it's true or not is 50/50 as it may have originated on 4chan which isn't exactly a reliable source of information.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:34 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Ummm... Have you ever played PC games on a computer that had a bad CPU but a good GPU and RAM? It definitely plays a role in how good a game will run.

If the CPU is too slow or inadequate, the game may look nice, but it'll either run slower than it should or possibly be unplayable- at like slideshow speeds. So yeah, the CPU doesn't matter if you're fine playing games with a lot of lag. The CPU is A LOT more important than the RAM.

The CPU is also responsible for in-game physics, AI, data calculations, etc.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:46 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygamr View Post
Ummm... Have you ever played PC games on a computer that had a bad CPU but a good GPU and RAM? It definitely plays a role in how good a game will run.

If the CPU is too slow or inadequate, the game may look nice, but it'll either run slower than it should or possibly be unplayable- at like slideshow speeds. So yeah, the CPU doesn't matter if you're fine playing games with a lot of lag. The CPU is A LOT more important than the RAM.

The CPU is also responsible for in-game physics, AI, data calculations, etc.
*sigh*

I thought I was done with this.

If you read a few posts back, I acknowledged the cpu's importance in some areas of gaming. And it doesnt take an amazing cpu to process physics and where the enemy is. The ram and gpu are far more important overall. Try playing BF with an awesome octa-core overclocked 4ghz CPU with a 256 mb video card and 512 mb of ram and report back with your findings.

@technika
Yeah me too I like to argue tech, and can get a little to snippy about things. Srry if I trolled.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:17 AM
iPad (3rd Gen)

I don't give a damn about tech specs in gaming. My all-time favorite game is X-Com UFO Defense which was released in 93 and even then it had bad graphics. I don't get all these orgasms about Retina displays or xCore processors when all you get is games with copy/paste stories and terrible ART in graphics, not to mention moronic AI and repetitive gameplay. I also think Resistance Burning Skies graphics look bad (e.g., just take a look at the Chimeran yellow tubes in the back - laughable), but I've played every single Resistance game and all of them have great story and gameplay. In the iOS front, things get much worse due to the casual playing dominance and the emergence of this freemium model which in my opinion is one of the worst things that EVER happened to gaming. I rarely play iOS anymore and when I do that is mostly because I bumped into a hidden gem; that happened a few days ago when I discovered Trump's Journey which is a wonderful game but reminds me all the time of the final and greatest iOS gaming flaw - the lack of physical buttons make A WORLD of difference, touch controls are fine for adventures and some RPGs (FF Tactics for Ipad is by far the greatest iteration of the game) but unbearable - at least for "hardcore" gamers - for platformers and shooters.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucianOrb View Post
I don't give a damn about tech specs in gaming. My all-time favorite game is X-Com UFO Defense which was released in 93 and even then it had bad graphics. I don't get all these orgasms about Retina displays or xCore processors when all you get is games with copy/paste stories and terrible ART in graphics, not to mention moronic AI and repetitive gameplay. I also think Resistance Burning Skies graphics look bad (e.g., just take a look at the Chimeran yellow tubes in the back - laughable), but I've played every single Resistance game and all of them have great story and gameplay. In the iOS front, things get much worse due to the casual playing dominance and the emergence of this freemium model which in my opinion is one of the worst things that EVER happened to gaming. I rarely play iOS anymore and when I do that is mostly because I bumped into a hidden gem; that happened a few days ago when I discovered Trump's Journey which is a wonderful game but reminds me all the time of the final and greatest iOS gaming flaw - the lack of physical buttons make A WORLD of difference, touch controls are fine for adventures and some RPGs (FF Tactics for Ipad is by far the greatest iteration of the game) but unbearable - at least for "hardcore" gamers - for platformers and shooters.
I'm also a huge fan of X Com I really did play that one to death I hope the remake later this year does it a bit of justice it almost looks like a cross between Xcom and Valkryie Chronicles to me.

I really don't think Resistance looks bad at all I'm quite excited by it and it should sell a fair few Vitas on it's own.
Should also add so far I've found every Vita game looks way better on the console than the screen shots I guess it's just the nature of the OLED screen.