Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-13-2011, 06:13 AM

Hello everybody,

Thank you for your input.

I know it's hard to play on an iPhone, sorry for that. My first goal was to keep it as original as possible, with only the keyboard commands transferred to touchable areas.

The game isn't done for me - there are still improvements to be made. Changing the UI is one big subject, and as soon as I have decided on how to make it right, you will get it as an update.

Regards
Mario
Old 12-13-2011, 06:21 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
And this one looks an inspired way of updating the Bard's Tale formula.
That's just the thing though: it's not "updated" at all. Is it?

I understand that whoever made this probably loves these old games and just wanted to re-create that experience. A part of me sympathises with that strongly and really, really wants to like this.

But then, I think, I remember something that possibly this developer forgot: games like this one were loved for their stories, characters, the worlds they created... Not for their clunky, unfriendly interfaces that only got in the way of experiencing those worlds. We just didn't know any better back then. We do now. Furthermore, those UIs were very much limited by the technology available at the time and decisions were often dictated by necessity rather than choice. The use of [brackets], for instance, was a crude but effective way of denoting selectable text in a DOS era environment, and I think they look a bit ridiculous on our touch screen devices, rather than adding any sort of nostalgic value.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:27 AM
iPad 2, iOS 4.x

Hooray! for old school RPG goodness.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:29 AM

Default Game Impressions

HD Gameplay Trailer (iPad 2/Intro):

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

HD Gameplay Trailer (iPad 2/Gameplay of the first few Minutes):

Note:

I know that it seem like everyone wana reinvent the Wheel in that Genre and setting his Marks but instead all those Developer should do the only right thing...

..which would be simple a great to make a Copy of those Lands of Lore Games.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanuku View Post
I know that it seem like everyone wana reinvent the Wheel in that Genre and setting his Marks but instead all those Developer should do the only right thing...

..which would be simple a great to make a Copy of those Lands of Lore Games.
Hey Sanuku,

I didn't mean to reinvent the wheel, really :-) I just wanted to play a Bard's Tale like game on my iPhone + iPad. And there simply was no chance other than coding it myself. So Silversword is the result. No re-inventing here, because it's nearly completely based on the Bard's Tale Construction Set ruleset ;-) And setting the mark in the RPG genre as a single hobby developer, competing against professional game companies, is just illusory and not intended.

As for Lands of Lore - never played it. Shame on me. But looks like an interesting new project...

Regards
Mario
Old 12-23-2011, 10:00 AM

Default The missus now hates me.....

I'll write a more detailed review when I can put this game down for more than 5 minutes. This is an absolutely amazing game, only rivalled in depth, enjoyment and challenge as classics like the Quest on this platform.

Some good puzzles too - I've bern stuck a few times so far, but now well and truly stuck in Annsharbour. I've got a key from a bloodsucker, but can't find the hideout in the market district. I can't get into the Cathedral or past the armoured orcs, but am not sure where else to go. I've checked ever area 2 or 3 times. Given the "don't rest" comment from the bandit, I need to enter the hideout at night (but have tried everywhere in the Market district then) or I've failed as I took too long?
Old 12-25-2011, 10:18 AM

Thank you very much Nikademus,

as always, you will find help on our forums.
http://silversword-rpg.com/phpbb3/index.php

Regards
Mario
Old 12-30-2011, 10:26 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Hey just discovered this is out now. I've been playing the lite version for a while (still haven't hit the wall yet) and really like it. Has its quirks, but overall a well done game and tribute to bards tale, which I loved.

My main question is, will my lite version progress transfer to the full version? I don't really want to have to start over - already put a good number of hours into it.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:05 PM

Hello Artfoundry,

transferring the game is possible.
Just take a look at our website / support section and you will find the HowTo.

Regards
Mario
Old 12-31-2011, 12:35 PM
iPad

I've logged about 20 hours on this. Love it. I find the iPad version a better experience than the iPhone version due to ease of use. It's got me away from palm heroes, kodp, ravenmark, orion, wesnoth, etc,

Petrov.