Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-01-2012, 06:25 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

So with the full game going on sale recently, I thought I'd pick it up even with my reservations about the lite and give it a good, proper go. Lo and behold what do I see when I open up the page on the app store? IAP. And lots of it. So the developer was trying to re-create the authentic Bard's Tale experience even at the cost of a modern, intuitive interface? That was the vision as described above, no? So just how many players were purchasing in-game coin for real money in 1985, anyway? Unbelievable. Sickening, shameful, and hypocritical. Glad I chanced to look down the page before I hit the "buy" button.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:40 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
So with the full game going on sale recently, I thought I'd pick it up even with my reservations about the lite and give it a good, proper go. Lo and behold what do I see when I open up the page on the app store? IAP. And lots of it. So the developer was trying to re-create the authentic Bard's Tale experience even at the cost of a modern, intuitive interface? That was the vision as described above, no? So just how many players were purchasing in-game coin for real money in 1985, anyway? Unbelievable. Sickening, shameful, and hypocritical. Glad I chanced to look down the page before I hit the "buy" button.
Gabrien,the IAP is not required to play the game at any stage,what difference does it make to you if other people cheat themselves by buying gold.Happy new year to all.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:04 AM
iPad

Quote:
The iap is irrelevant in this game. It's just for gold which I've never lacked for in-game anyway. I hate games with iap generally, but this game is not impacted any way by it imho.

This is no dungeon hunter 3. Check out the game's own forums if you doubt me.

Petrov.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:06 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

You've both missed my point: a passion-driven developer goes to great lengths to faithfully re-create a beloved retro gaming experience allowing no sacrifice to its authenticity -- except where there's a chance of filling his wallet.

I couldn't care less whether the IAP is optional or not. In this particular case its presence alone stinks to high heavens.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:38 AM
iPad

Quote:
You've both missed my point: a passion-driven developer goes to great lengths to faithfully re-create a beloved retro gaming experience allowing no sacrifice to its authenticity -- except where there's a chance of filling his wallet.
Suppose someone wants to make as much money as possible, and he decides the best way to do that is to faithfully re-create a beloved retro gaming experience allowing no sacrifice to its authenticity. Is that really such a tragedy, if you get the experience you want and he gets some compensation for his work? If you buy a classic automobile that is faithfully restored, or a perfect reproduction of a classic American quilt, does it really offend you to the end of your days if the person who did that work gets paid for it?
Old 01-01-2012, 10:52 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
Suppose someone wants to make as much money as possible, and he decides the best way to do that is to faithfully re-create a beloved retro gaming experience allowing no sacrifice to its authenticity. Is that really such a tragedy, if you get the experience you want and he gets some compensation for his work? If you buy a classic automobile that is faithfully restored, or a perfect reproduction of a classic American quilt, does it really offend you to the end of your days if the person who did that work gets paid for it?
Allowing for IAP to enter the gameplay equation IS a sacrifice to the game's authenticity. That's the whole point. I'm frankly astounded that somebody can type that whole paragraph, come up with two metaphors, and still in no way whatsoever touch on the actual argument being made.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:55 AM
iPad

Quote:
Allowing for IAP to enter the gameplay equation IS a sacrifice to the game's authenticity.
If you just choose not to use the IAP, it's only a sacrifice to the authenticity of someone else's experience, and therefore it doesn't affect you at all. It's like complaining that your authentic Chinese meal is not actually authentic because there is also non-authentic fusion cuisine, on the same menu, that you didn't order. Maybe serving both types of customers, those who want authentic and those who want something different, keeps the restaurant in business.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:59 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

really not bad
Old 01-01-2012, 11:08 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
If you just choose not to use the IAP, it's only a sacrifice to the authenticity of someone else's experience, and therefore it doesn't affect you at all. It's like complaining that your authentic Chinese meal is not actually authentic because there is also non-authentic fusion cuisine, on the same menu, that you didn't order. Maybe serving both types of customers, those who want authentic and those who want something different, keeps the restaurant in business.
Ah, wonderful! In that case I'll take my updated UI, thanks, and those who want to pretend they are playing in DOS can do so! Except no, I can't do that, because the ONLY concession to the 21st century the developer has chosen to make is one where he stands to benefit financially. Which is what I said, ooh, about three posts ago. Now I just feel stupid for getting drawn into an argument with someone who doesn't get that two explanations later. Sorry, I'm done.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:17 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetear View Post
Hello Artfoundry,

transferring the game is possible.
Just take a look at our website / support section and you will find the HowTo.

Regards
Mario
Cool thanks - that worked great.
I was a bit disappointed that the lite version was made easier, not just more limited. Some of the later battles are already somewhat difficult in the lite version - I relied quite heavily on the song of life. Hopefully it won't be too difficult now - we'll see.