★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: [Brag] I am on the top of the world (Jumping in Touch Ski 3D, i.e.)

05-06-2009, 09:47 PM
[Brag] I am on the top of the world (Jumping in Touch Ski 3D, i.e.)

(Note: This post contains heavy personal bragging, please avoid if you find it, well, uneasy :P )

At around 1800 GMT yesterday (May 6), I made a few jumps before I logged off work. Thanks for the Training School included in 2.0, I was able to make a couple of 400+ feet jumps I had never been able to do before. This time I think the mid-air boost made me higher, and I find I have leaped to a distance I have never reached before.

497 feet.

First, I think it is a bug. My jump is a little after the red line and it should not be that far.

Too bad I have totally forgotten the terminal speed and how I make the "V" in mid-air....

Worse, I use another alias other than the one here.... So I had done something great and cannot tell the others. I don't know if Naquatic would verify this.

I quickly made a screen capture of the online score page and showed it to my wife later in the evening. Her initial response: "You have spent too much time gaming!"

So much for being on top of the world (for the time being).

Suggestions:

1. An optional replay feature of your moves would be great.
2. The green "Jump" does not actually boost your distance that much. I am not sure if it is a feature, or it is just me.

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

“Honestly, I was never terribly good at games.” - Finch (PoI S2E16)
05-06-2009, 09:53 PM
We have verified Currymutton's UDID and confirmed that he is in fact "Griffin," aka the best Distance Ski Jumper in the world.

It is quite a success story... Currymutton has been talking Ski Jump technique in the Touch Arcade forums since the very beginning, constantly looking for ways to improve. Now, he is the master. Congrats!

And please, if there are any other Touch Arcade users who have high scores in any game mode that they are excited about, post here!

Michael and Will
Naquatic - Guncrafter | MonsterCrafter | CivCrafter | CivMiner | Staying Together | Polybear | Shooting Showdown | Soccer Showdown | Basketball Showdown | Hockey Showdown | Football Showdown | Football Clicker | ACC Football Challenge | Touch Ski 3D | American Football | American Basketball | American Hockey | Solitaire Zen | Arena | Affliction | Corners

05-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Thank you.

05-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Do you know any tips for getting really far jumps? My record (since I got it yesterday, WOOT) is a pitiful 327.

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.
But life's made better because of iPods.
05-06-2009, 10:20 PM
I am not really an expert on this as I think I was just extraordinarily lucky. Here are a few things that I find (may sound too obvious)

1. Keep the ski pads parallel at all times for best acceleration, if not, better start accelerate a little later than slowing down before you reach the red line. I have once reached 61mph before jump but frankly most of my 400+ jumps are in the realm of 50-something, see below.

2. I think the boost on green line does not help me at all (may be it is just me). Lifting both of your fingers a little after the red line gives you the balance of jump distance with good terminal velocity.

3. Avoid the walls all the time, it slows you down.

4. Make the "V" shape right when you are in mid-air, still climbing. If the speed goes green, you are in the best angle and you will notice a very definite climb in height.

Hope it helps.

05-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by currymutton View Post
I am not really an expert on this as I think I was just extraordinarily lucky. Here are a few things that I find (may sound too obvious)

1. Keep the ski pads parallel at all times for best acceleration, if not, better start accelerate a little later than slowing down before you reach the red line. I have once reached 61mph before jump but frankly most of my 400+ jumps are in the realm of 50-something, see below.

2. I think the boost on green line does not help me at all (may be it is just me). Lifting both of your fingers a little after the red line gives you the balance of jump distance with good terminal velocity.

4. Make the "V" shape right when you are in mid-air, still climbing. If the speed goes green, you are in the best angle and you will notice a very definite climb in height.

Hope it helps.
Thanks for the tips! I was always struggling with the right technique for jumping.

05-06-2009, 11:16 PM
I got 4th highscore in that tight mode or w/e.
05-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Quote:

Hope it helps.
Thanks for the tips man! Can't wait to try!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.
But life's made better because of iPods.
05-10-2009, 01:42 AM
Quote:

Hope it helps.
I assure you, the boost does help . We didn't want it to be so significant that without it your jumps would be useless, but if you want to make the top 100 worldwide you definitely need the boost.

Michael and Will
Naquatic - Guncrafter | MonsterCrafter | CivCrafter | CivMiner | Staying Together | Polybear | Shooting Showdown | Soccer Showdown | Basketball Showdown | Hockey Showdown | Football Showdown | Football Clicker | ACC Football Challenge | Touch Ski 3D | American Football | American Basketball | American Hockey | Solitaire Zen | Arena | Affliction | Corners