Marketing a Word Game

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by TC Games, Dec 14, 2011.

1. TC Games

TC Games Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    iOS developer
    Any ideas on marketing a word game? The best we came up with is talking about it on scrabble forums.

2. I've also done some word games (Stacword) as well. I was thinking about the same things in order to boost the game's profile.

I think areas to look at would be - (target audience)

People who play crosswords.
    People who play words with friends.
    People who like trivia.
    People who read books usually like words and word games.

Would be interested in hearing how you get on.

3. TC Games

Dec 5, 2011
    iOS developer
    I think finding where your audience is, is a huge challenge in making a word game. The people that are really into word games and have iPhones don't really have a place where they go looking for new word games, I don't think anyway.

Also, the correlation between books and word games is clever. I feel like there is potential to turn that into a good marketing strategy.

4. layzerboy

layzerboy Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Outer Space
    yea in coming up with BetterLetter, i was faced with having to research and find next to naught forums dedicated to iPhone users who love word games which brings up an interesting space here that can be used to our advantage. On the other side of things, word gamers are fanatics and look out for the next word game that tantalizes their brain cells so the question remains - where do they hear about the next word game?

my research results reveal -

1. game forums
    2. writing forums
    3. board game forums

so far..

5. Did some marketing yesterday. I've been looking at the book industry, people who like trivia, book clubs and all things to do with writing.

I do think their's quite a potential market out their for people who like more intellectual games. with Stacword, which is free over the holiday season (shameless plug here) I've tried to add different elements to it, to make it more than just a word game and hopefully appeal to a wider audience.

When you think about all the people who read books on the bus, on vacation and in their spare time - these are the people IMO who like to be surrounded by and interact with the written word.

6. jeremy.provost

jeremy.provost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
  7. TC Games

Dec 5, 2011
    iOS developer
    Thanks for sharing! If you don't mind me asking how much of a boost does an update give?

8. jeremy.provost

jeremy.provost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I mentioned this in the article:

http://blog.thinktapwork.com/post/14466606768/developers-rush-to-beat-holiday-shutdown

Here were the increases comparing two days before the update hit to the first main day of the update:

1.0.1 - 635% increase

1.1 - 1,568% increase

1.1.1 - 1,390% increase

1.2 was just released last night (http://bit.ly/cricketwords) and while we don't have the exact download numbers yet it seems like it's going to be similar numbers if not even higher.