Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-14-2011, 12:53 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Right well first impressions are, imagine pong with a little bit of speedball 2. It's just 2 v 2 you've got your virtual stick (like minigore) and one button. You can press the button to tackle the opponent and knock th over to steal the puck and when you've got the puck you press or hold the button to shoot, using the stick to aim and holding the button longer for a stronger shot.
There's 2 characters to choose from for each team and them Santa is IAP for 69p.
The match works on a timer so it's who ever has the most points when the time runs out wins.
That's it simple an fun. I'm a but of a sucker for pong'ish games and for the price (69p) it's a very nice polished game. It really looks like a pick up n play here an there type of game, but who knows with some achievement and leaderboards and possibly gamecentre multi player this could be brilliant.
Well hopefully this gives an idea of what its like.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to JoshCM

My impressions:
Simple, polished, fun.
2 player on iPad is excellent.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:55 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooooomonkey View Post
Thanks for the early release. Downloading now. One thing though, no gamecentre? Is it planned for the future?

Impressions in a little while.
We are looking into it, but there are no definite plans yet. I'd personally be a bit disappointed if we didn't manage to add any GC features in future updates.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:57 PM
im in ur base killin ur d00dz
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Just tried multiplayer with my girlfriend. Really positive impressions so far. I'd like to see customization for it in the future though, like being able to choose how long the game is, and how many ppl are in the game. The goalies work kind of weird though. They're like bouncy blockades instead of people. Not sure what you can do about that though. Not sure if I'd get it just for the single player though. Really well-made game though. Controls and physics are spot on. Would like to see GC in the future. Of course, the game looks really good.

Last edited by backtothis; 12-14-2011 at 01:00 PM..
Old 12-14-2011, 12:59 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooooomonkey View Post
Right well first impressions are, imagine pong with a little bit of speedball 2. It's just 2 v 2 you've got your virtual stick (like minigore) and one button. You can press the button to tackle the opponent and knock th over to steal the puck and when you've got the puck you press or hold the button to shoot, using the stick to aim and holding the button longer for a stronger shot.
There's 2 characters to choose from for each team and them Santa is IAP for 69p.
The match works on a timer so it's who ever has the most points when the time runs out wins.
That's it simple an fun. I'm a but of a sucker for pong'ish games and for the price (69p) it's a very nice polished game. It really looks like a pick up n play here an there type of game, but who knows with some achievement and leaderboards and possibly gamecentre multi player this could be brilliant.
Well hopefully this gives an idea of what its like.
Thanks for the nice description!

Oh btw, if you keep clicking on the first team icon, it chooses a random human player out of the nine possibilities every time you click.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:02 PM
iPhone 3G, OS 4.x

seems nice.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:10 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Here are my quick impressions:

Pros:

-Fun pick-up and play game, especially for two players on one device. I'm playing on an iPad, so I can't really comment on how well it plays on the smaller iPhone. I could imagine that your hands would cover a good portion of the screen. On the iPad, that's not a big deal. The top-down perspective is perfect for multiplayer games. I'm at my desk eating lunch, so I started a multiplayer game and controlled both players at the same time. I assume it's easier when you're actually playing against someone and only in control of one character.

-Great graphics. Crisp, clean images of characters that we're all familiar with. The app icon is awesome. Love the old-school goalie mask.

Cons:

-Limited options...extremely limited. You get a red team and a blue team. Each has two playable characters. There's an additional Santa character available for an IAP of $0.99. Music and sound can be turned off independently. The joypad images can be turned off, if you want. If you select single player, you have to play as the red team, which effectively limits you to two playable characters. In a multiplayer game, the player on the right gets the blue team and the player on theleft gets the red team. Games are a single period of 1:45.

Things to consider:

-Controls are responsive, but quite floaty. As a hockey player myself, I would like to have seen sharper control of the character. It'd be cool to see a hard hockey stop that showered the goalie with snow. As it is now, it's more of a frictionless feel. Real-life hockey players can carve and change directions on a dime. Not so here. It's obviously not a simulation, but more of a fun arcade action game, so the controls are passable (and quite responsive) once you get used to the feel.

-There's one button that doubles as the shoot button when you have the puck and the check/steal button when you don't. I would like to have seen maybe a couple of buttons for different actions, like shoot/pass or stick check/shoulder check.

-Gameplay is limited. Each game consists of one period that is 1:45 long. There's two-vs.-two action against the AI (three difficulty levels from super easy to impossibly hard). And, there's two-vs.-two action against a human opponent. That's it. You can select your character, but that's the only choice you get. Would like to see larger teams on the ice at the same time. Season play would be nice or at the very least a short tournament bracket.

For $0.99 it's a fun multiplayer game on a single device. It's at the right pricepoint. There's just not enough content to justify anything else. I imagine additional characters will be added as IAP. No Game Center. No online multiplayer. No achievements. No leaderboards (as is, there's no point). If you have an iPad and you want a down & dirty multiplayer-single-device game, then definitely check it out. It's also pretty fun if you've got 1:45 to spare and not a second longer. Plus, the devs are cool, so it's worth supporting them, too.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:19 PM

Love everything Mountain Sheep, but not gonna lie a little disappointed. From the pictures it seems it would be like 3 v 3 action, and that there would be actual fighting. Especially with the name Ice Rage.

I was expecting something like NFL Blitz. Especially with more gore. I wanted to be able to actually fight in the game. The game is very shallow. You pick between 4 generic dudes. No attributes to upgrade, no stats saved, no tournaments, no season, no Gamecenter. Not really what I was expected.

But it is a nice little pick up and play for a buck. It feels more like a pong game then hockey. Overall I say it's worth the asking price but honestly don't see myself coming back to it, there's nothing more to do once you've played the 3 difficulty levels. With the easy difficulty being a joke.

Add upgradeable stuff, more fighting, different kinds of hits, more gore, season mode, gamecenter and now we're talking.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:32 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbrokenchain33 View Post
Love everything Mountain Sheep, but not gonna lie a little disappointed. From the pictures it seems it would be like 3 v 3 action, and that there would be actual fighting. Especially with the name Ice Rage.

I was expecting something like NFL Blitz. Especially with more gore. I wanted to be able to actually fight in the game. The game is very shallow. You pick between 4 generic dudes. No attributes to upgrade, no stats saved, no tournaments, no season, no Gamecenter. Not really what I was expected.

But it is a nice little pick up and play for a buck. It feels more like a pong game then hockey. Overall I say it's worth the asking price but honestly don't see myself coming back to it, there's nothing more to do once you've played the 3 difficulty levels. With the easy difficulty being a joke.

Add upgradeable stuff, more fighting, different kinds of hits, more gore, season mode, gamecenter and now we're talking.
Totally agree with all youve put

All i would like is to see more content playable characters is a must next update

But 69p is worth it just for the icon

Last edited by mashead2000; 12-14-2011 at 01:37 PM..
Old 12-14-2011, 01:33 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

I love this and can see it ending up as one of my favorites. I bought the extra characters, was actually surprised how cheap they were.

For me everything is perfect, game length, tied games go to overtime, graphics and controls. Two players one system is the icing on the cake.

The only thing I would like is a bracket system where you could set up a tournament but then again you could just do this on paper.