Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-15-2011, 11:32 AM

I have a iPhone 4, gonna skip on this cuz of the framerate. Looked at the video and it definitely lags. I did not grow up playing this game so no nostalgia factor for me. The auto aim also sucks, if this werent a port and were a brand new game people would be going crazy saying how bad it is. SKIP.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:44 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebornProphet View Post
That 512mb of RAM in the iPhone 4 comes in very handy in GTA3.

Butter smooth, and I can live without the lighting effects. A full 3D console GTA on my mobile phone. Insane. 10 years ago we were controlling a line pretending to be a snake as it ate dots.
I think you mean 30 years ago. 10 years ago we were playing xbox, dreamcast, gamecube and playstation 2. 10 years before that we were playing genesis and super nintendo. 10 years before that we were playing atari 2600 and colecovision.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:46 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbrokenchain33 View Post
I have a iPhone 4, gonna skip on this cuz of the framerate. Looked at the video and it definitely lags. I did not grow up playing this game so no nostalgia factor for me. The auto aim also sucks, if this werent a port and were a brand new game people would be going crazy saying how bad it is. SKIP.
Granted i'm playing it on the iPhone 4s but its flawless. I couldn't see it being much worse on the 4. Imo its well worth the asking price. But if you don't need GTA on your phone, then by all means buy something else.

No lag what-so-ever on 4s. If the version for iPhone 4 has fewer textures i can't imagine any lag on it as well.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:46 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
It doesn't lag at all on my iPhone 4. It plays and looks far better than I expected. I reckon my insight is more accurate because I've actually played the game rather than determine its quality via a you tube video !
Old 12-15-2011, 11:56 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm2 View Post
I think you mean 30 years ago. 10 years ago we were playing xbox, dreamcast, gamecube and playstation 2. 10 years before that we were playing genesis and super nintendo. 10 years before that we were playing atari 2600 and colecovision.
I think that RebornProphet made it pretty obvious that he was referring to the world of mobile gaming, not console gaming.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:57 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebornProphet View Post
That 512mb of RAM in the iPhone 4 comes in very handy in GTA3.

Butter smooth, and I can live without the lighting effects. A full 3D console GTA on my mobile phone. Insane. 10 years ago we were controlling a line pretending to be a snake as it ate dots.
I was totally playing Snake on my old Nokia 10 years ago! And now there's an app for that
Old 12-15-2011, 12:02 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
I did grow up playing this and I'd probably agree with you there's a lot of nostalgia here for some of us and I can easy look past things like the controls and graphics etc simply because I'm playing a full GTA game that I used to play on my ps2.
Although I'm playing on an iPod 4G 32gig and it runs perfectly fine the only time I get any lag is when notifications pop up from appshopper etc.
For the price though which is incredible for the game your getting, let's not forget this was the first 3D GTA Game which IMO was a huge landmark in gaming history and worth owning for that alone.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:05 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred447uk View Post
It doesn't lag at all on my iPhone 4. It plays and looks far better than I expected. I reckon my insight is more accurate because I've actually played the game rather than determine its quality via a you tube video !
To say it 'lags' is maybe a bit drastic but the game does not run at a smooth 30fps (it's more like 20-25 fps most of the time) on the iPhone 4 AND runs at sub-retina resolution (except for UI and menus) with most of the lighting fx turned off. It's still done very well and the game is very playable, it's clear Rockstar did their best to really get it running decently to the point that most people would not notice the very slight issues. However, if you're sensitive to them, depending on how much you want GTA3 on your phone, you might wanna skip the game.

I'm pretty sensitive to such issues and I gotta say the game runs acceptably on my iPhone, it's in that thin gray area between annoying and smooth, never really falling into the former (thankfully) and occasionally, when you're in some back ally where there's nothing going on, falling into the latter.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:06 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

How do you deal with autoaim? Say you approach a group of thugs armed with bats and start firing. You'll randomly (?) target one of them and shoot untill he dies. Okay, you kill maybe 2 guys. Now the surviving thugs are running at you and getting close. So you try to backpedal and keep shooting. Doesn't work as the only way to move backwards is to turn around. If you turn around you cannot target the enemies.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:08 PM

Anyone experiencing crashing on ipad 1st gen? I'm getting it like crazy!

While normally I would complain, this was never intended to come to older devices anyways so I'll take what I can get. Hopefully they find a way to stabilize it a little better though.