★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Run over clowns! Sparky the Road Clown is an arcade game where you attempt to run over a clown who is mocking you relentlessly. You can also whack him with the large, spinning hammer on top of the car if you so desire.

Scoring is achieved by a unique blend of distance and how many things you knock the clown against in the process. Don't worry, he's tough -- he'll always come back for more!

FEATURES

Sparky is universal play on your iPhone or iPad!
Bonus HD textures exclusively for iPad!
Stylized cartoon clown and car!
Professional voice work for the clown!
Unique gameplay mechanics!
Smash an angry clown in the face with a hammer!
Slow motion (think: Bullet Time) clown impact!
Running over a mocking clown without jailtime!

WORD ON THE STREET?

"Whether you have a deep seated fear of clowns you're trying to get over, or just like a simple and fun game, Sparky the Road clown is an app worth checking out." - Corey from British Columbia

"Sparky is a fantastic pickup experience that has all of the fun of a carnival and the utility of a stress ball. Reminds me of a homerun derby, but with a car and a clown... which obviously makes it much more awesome." - Burton from Atlanta, GA

"The graphics and game play are awesome, it's not everyday that a childhood dream comes true, but with Sparky the Road Clown it does! I love the smell of burnt rubber on a clown in the morning! Buy it! Play it! Love it!" - Jerome from London, England

"Really is good therapy for my coulrophobia, thanks, Sparky!" - Will from Memphis, TN

unseenthings's comments:

Inspired by my son's mistrust of clowns (and who can blame him, really?), I gathered up a couple of talented friends and we made Sparky the Road Clown. I'm the developer, and we're excited to announce and release the game so that anyone and everyone can run over clowns at their leisure. Technically, you can also whack him with the big spinning mallet on top of the car, too, but that's just splitting hairs, really.

Here's a 60 second trailer for the game:

Basic gameplay is this -- you're trying to knock the clown into as many unique things as possible per game (that triggers the multiplier) and you're trying to go for distance beyond that. Distance you knock the clown is multiplied at the end of each round by how many things you've knocked him against (total) in the game.

We've got a lot of big plans including mini-games within the app, a soundboard and game center (which was this close >< but we removed it at the last minute because we hadn't tested it enough) -- GC will be the first update and we'll be sending it to Apple very soon.

Anyway, we had a great time making it and hopefully people will have a great time playing it. It's just a buck for iPad and iPhone, though we did target 3GS (armv7) and up to get within that magic 20mb download size.

I'd love to hear some thoughts and feedback from people regarding the game.

Thanks!
12-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
hmmm... right off the bat, the graphics are great - and it looks like the gameplay is fun enough - but...

The time it takes for the round to end - counting down - seems like it could get annoying. Is there anyway to have it automatically hit 0 if the clown has stopped moving completely, instead of waiting to slowly count down? If so... lessening the break in the gameplay would most likely be a very very good thing to do. I know when there's too many breaks in most games, I'll just go ahead and end up playing something else that has constant action...

12-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
hmmm... right off the bat, the graphics are great - and it looks like the gameplay is fun enough - but...

The time it takes for the round to end - counting down - seems like it could get annoying. Is there anyway to have it automatically hit 0 if the clown has stopped moving completely, instead of waiting to slowly count down? If so... lessening the break in the gameplay would most likely be a very very good thing to do. I know when there's too many breaks in most games, I'll just go ahead and end up playing something else that has constant action...
Yeah, that's a good point. I did it like I did so that the clown would have enough time to stop moving... however, sometimes you miss, but the round still needs to end, and sometimes if you miss, you can still back up and hit him within those last few seconds once the countdown starts. It was originally 5 seconds but lowered to 3 at the request of a couple of people. I may need to go back and re-think that -- I guess I could always do it different if you hit him than if you miss him.

Thanks for the feedback!

Come run over some clowns (universal): Sparky the Road Clown
Santa Hates You! (but he loves me) iOS Prank App
Connect with us on Facebook
12-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post

Well, to me the graphics don't look very good at all, and the game play doesn't do anything for me, either. Pass....
12-15-2011, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrand1 View Post
Well, to me the graphics don't look very good at all, and the game play doesn't do anything for me, either. Pass....
Everyone's got their own preferences, I don't mind that at all. If you don't dislike clowns, there's probably not much here to draw you in. Thankfully, the vast majority of people I've talked to are not fans of clowns (to put it mildly), so I think I might do alright overall after people find out about it.

At least it's not another angry birds/tetris/match 3, right?

12-15-2011, 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseenthings View Post
Everyone's got their own preferences, I don't mind that at all. If you don't dislike clowns, there's probably not much here to draw you in. Thankfully, the vast majority of people I've talked to are not fans of clowns (to put it mildly), so I think I might do alright overall after people find out about it.

At least it's not another angry birds/tetris/match 3, right?
Hmph! I don't have any dislike for clowns. To me, that's a non-issue. The game just doesn't do anything for me. Period.
Most people seriously dislike clowns? Never thought that before. :-\
12-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrand1 View Post
Hmph! I don't have any dislike for clowns. To me, that's a non-issue. The game just doesn't do anything for me. Period.
Most people seriously dislike clowns? Never thought that before. :-\
Yeah, most people seriously dislike clowns. I never really knew that until I started making this game and talking to people about it. The general clown sentiment seems to sway from mild distrust to outright, sheer terror (seriously) -- I think we can blame Stephen King's "It" and Tim Curry's portrayal on the made for tv movie of it as to why so many people are really freaked out by them.

I've met like 3 people who like clowns... everybody else, over the last couple of years while I worked on this off and on... no love for clowns.

12-15-2011, 01:45 PM
I think it's pretty fun and definitely a good stress reliever. The voice modulation when you hit him is pretty funny and a nice touch.

It would be neat to have a side view UI distance thing that shows how far the clown has traveled, Kinda like this, but from a side (orthographic view like an infographic)

Keep up the good work!
12-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonposey View Post
I think it's pretty fun and definitely a good stress reliever. The voice modulation when you hit him is pretty funny and a nice touch.

It would be neat to have a side view UI distance thing that shows how far the clown has traveled, Kinda like this, but from a side (orthographic view like an infographic)

Keep up the good work!
That's a really cool idea, Burton -- or just something that traces where he zips around and bounces off of things.. that would be really cool. Thanks for the feedback, glad you're digging the app.

I should give out a few promo codes, perhaps? Is that appropriate here? <runs off to read the rules>

12-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
yes, giving out codes is alright - and a great way to get some feedback - depending on how you give the codes out...

usually if you just post a bunch, people will take them and not say anything... but if you send them in PMs, you can usually get most of the people to leave impressions.