★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: More app space

11-13-2008, 05:53 PM
More app space

All of us iPhone and iPod touch addicts that have all of the 9 pages of app pages taken up, hate some of the irremovable Apple pre-placed apps(Stocks, weather,etc.). Well they can be erased to free up app space! All you have to do is move those apps to the last spot on the last page, and then from another page bring an app on to the last page, and the unwanted app will disappear! As you probably already know you can only have 9 pages of apps(148 apps including the ones at the bottom). This seems like a lot to be on the device at once, but there are only about 3,000 apps in the store so it is acceptable to have so many. Anyways, doing this will open up a few more spaces for apps, and in the iPhone addict's case, more spaces are desired!
11-13-2008, 05:57 PM
apple should consider custom catagorization, that could, lets say give you 4 main catagories...
work
games
entertainment
and custom..each with 9 pages [148 apps to themselves] for a total of 592 total app spaces

11-13-2008, 06:00 PM
Can you access them if you change your mind?

Let's say I do this and send the Apple unremovable apps off page 9 and onto the invisible and unaccessable "page 10". What if I change my mind and decide I really want to access them again? Can I get them back? Will I have to restore my phone to its default settings (and in the process lose saved data in apps I want to keep using)?
11-13-2008, 06:02 PM
Exactly man I don't know why apple doesn't do that.
Maybe like accelerometer games, touch only games, puzzlers, word games,............................................ ........
It would be so much more organized. Scrolling through 9 pages stinks, it would be so much faster. I think apple will eventually come through with something like this as there are getting to be so many apps in the store, and not having room discourages buyers, and apple isn't trying to do that. Anyways, good thinking.
11-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_mani View Post
Let's say I do this and send the Apple unremovable apps off page 9 and onto the invisible and unaccessable "page 10". What if I change my mind and decide I really want to access them again? Can I get them back? Will I have to restore my phone to its default settings (and in the process lose saved data in apps I want to keep using)?
Lol I actually never thought about that. With the pre-placed apple apps i gues you would have to restore, but with normal apps that you download just go to the applications part of the sync thing, uncheck that app, sync, then check that app and it will be back on your iPhone/Touch as long as you have space for it. But anyways I only did this thing with the ones I know I'll never use like stocks, notes(because I have Younote), and weather(because I have the weather.com app). Hope that paragraph lol answered your question.
11-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAC34 View Post
Exactly man I don't know why apple doesn't do that.
Maybe like accelerometer games, touch only games, puzzlers, word games,............................................ ........
It would be so much more organized. Scrolling through 9 pages stinks, it would be so much faster. I think apple will eventually come through with something like this as there are getting to be so many apps in the store, and not having room discourages buyers, and apple isn't trying to do that. Anyways, good thinking.
i think they will too...they went from one page to 9 pages, probably as a stall solution until they could develop something more promising..or maybe they are implementing this all at a whim, and will improve it as it seems fit...but the thing that matters is that they are doing it
and they must be doing something right, if all these other companies are following suit trying to make their own market places
11-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Send a message via AIM to fpugirl
I think that if Apple came up with a better solution, people would probably buy more apps. The more you can have on your phone, the better. Especially when you have a bunch of games that you don't want to love your progress on, which prohibits you from getting other apps. Just saying....(hint, hint Apple!!)

I'm on twitter: http://twitter.com/fpugirl iTD, 7 Cities, The Creeps, geoDefense (i love TD games!!), Supermarket mania, Stone Loops...current fave games
11-13-2008, 06:36 PM
I think it's safe to say that app support is a work in progress - they didn't plan to have third party apps at all originally. People demanded them and they put something together as fast as they could. The current app screens are a quick and dirty solution. 3.0 will probably give us a real one. In the mean time I don't think will see any big changes to the system and we'll probably be stuck with a flat 9 screens until 3.0.
11-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
I think it's safe to say that app support is a work in progress - they didn't plan to have third party apps at all originally. People demanded them and they put something together as fast as they could. The current app screens are a quick and dirty solution. 3.0 will probably give us a real one. In the mean time I don't think will see any big changes to the system and we'll probably be stuck with a flat 9 screens until 3.0.
and it wont come until june or September most likely since those are the upgrade points for the iphone and ipod....no reason to fix something that is working until you need to sell more devices by adding more features

MMS in 2011...ftw
11-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Am i having deja-vu? It seems like i've seen this kind of thread before, about 3 times before. Use the SEARCH people...And no, the space available right now is ok. U can't tell me u actually use 100+ apps/games regularly...