★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

'Updates' that make games worse?

12-16-2011, 02:58 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
'Updates' that make games worse?

What's with the current trend of 'updates' that make games worse by adding ads or IAP? I know there were a few cases like that in the past as well (Stair Dismount, Across Age), but recently I find a few apps like that and it's annoying as there's no 'Ignore update' button.

C64 removes Bruce Lee and 2 other games.

What if we delete the game (to save space) and wants to play it later?

And does anyone know a trick to ignore these stupid updates?
12-16-2011, 04:15 AM
Wish I did know a trick it's one of the most annoying things about IOS, apart from ads, freemium etc there are often times when updates just break the apps or increase the size hugely with no real benefits.

I think itunes seems to be based on an apt-get packager so it should be easily possible to freeze versions I can only assume it's a case of Apple not wanting us to be able to make our own choices.

If anyone does know a trick to get round this and not be nagged by certain updates I'd love to know myself.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

12-16-2011, 08:23 AM
I always have like over 10 updates on App Store on my iPod. I ignore them, because it may take me more space if I update or I don't have enough space to update. I hate the bug fix updates that don't have anything to do with my device. And of course making apps free with IAP and ads, like GL and HotGen have done...

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
12-16-2011, 09:17 AM
Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLavi View Post
I always have like over 10 updates on App Store on my iPod. I ignore them, because it may take me more space if I update or I don't have enough space to update. I hate the bug fix updates that don't have anything to do with my device. And of course making apps free with IAP and ads, like GL and HotGen have done...
This reminds me of the Oregon Trail update a few months ago....it made the 500mb game 1.1gb :\ so ridiculous.

i'm a pretty kitty cat
12-16-2011, 09:36 AM
It's kind of ironic to see this thread crop up soon after the developers of Ash released an update that replaced every single piece of generic art with lovingly rendered original assets -- all for zero dollars. I know that bitching and moaning is an Internet tradition (especially around these parts), and I can easily list some unfortunate updates -- the Chaos Rings one that doubled the app size to add a Japanese VO track is a prime example. The great majority of updates, however, are for the better. In fact, the kind of updating that you see on iOS (and Android, I guess) is one of the primary advantages of the platform.

You can always back up the ipa/app files on your computer if you want to go back to a previous version. If game data is an issue, get PhoneView or the PC equivalent and back up your app data -- it takes 30 seconds. And you can also ignore the update badge on the App Store app.

Just my $.02 .
12-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Yeah but I think the topic here was to discuss of the minority of the updates that DO make apps worse. Updates are generally nice such as more content or something, but there are still many updates that make customers unsatisfied and it is unfair to bash the devs for trying to get a better living, but if a developer comes here and sees what kind of updates the customers don't like, maybe they'll stop doing so.

I personally would like an ignore button for updates that don't consider my device or that I don't need/want.

Anyway, what's with the just my $.02 thing?

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
12-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
It's kind of ironic to see this thread crop up soon after the developers of Ash released an update that replaced every single piece of generic art with lovingly rendered original assets -- all for zero dollars. I know that bitching and moaning is an Internet tradition (especially around these parts), and I can easily list some unfortunate updates -- the Chaos Rings one that doubled the app size to add a Japanese VO track is a prime example. The great majority of updates, however, are for the better. In fact, the kind of updating that you see on iOS (and Android, I guess) is one of the primary advantages of the platform.

You can always back up the ipa/app files on your computer if you want to go back to a previous version. If game data is an issue, get PhoneView or the PC equivalent and back up your app data -- it takes 30 seconds. And you can also ignore the update badge on the App Store app.

Just my $.02 .
Very true. 99.9% updates are always for the better. Ash got a magnificent update. I am sure it would have taken a huge effort for the devs. Shows how much they care for their product.

Not to mention a lot of generous updates for games like Angry Birds, Cat Physics, League of Evil, Mage Gauntlet, Bike Baron... and a ton of other games.

Of course you will have some publishers who will abuse the right to update. Easy to ignore them.

---------------------------
Mom Says Get Married!!

Last edited by spidey; 12-16-2011 at 10:21 AM.
12-16-2011, 10:25 AM
I'm not against updates if they are content and game play related... and not a means for quality control... Like IB2 which should have never been released with those kinds of bugs.... pretty lame :P
12-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLavi View Post
I personally would like an ignore button for updates that don't consider my device or that I don't need/want.
Killer feature that I would love to have too.

I've seen several 'DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS UPDATE CAUSE IT BREAKS OUR GAME' labelled updates. Zynga poker most recently. This completely wrecks the update all button, and with 10-15 updates per week coming my way, the update all button is the only way to efficiently update... well... all!

Looking for a writer? PM me

Game Designer of:
Family Feud Matches Gaming with a side of Matchmaking!
Family Feud 2 My First Huge Apple Feature!
Pickpawcket
And more!
12-16-2011, 10:44 AM
I've been more careful about updates ever since HotGen hid their plan to introduce ads into games that people paid for by saying something like "minor fixes" in the update description.

With devs changing to freemium/ad-based even for previously paid games, I no longer hit the "Update All" button for fear of things like this.

Ah didn't see LOLavi's post that also mention this. I agree with previous posters as well that it would be great to have an "ignore button" for each update so it goes away if you don't want it.