★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Treasures of Montezuma is on sale for 99 cents!!!

05-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Treasures of Montezuma is on sale for 99 cents!!!

Just saw it, Treasures of Montezuma, a very polished match 3 game, is on sale for 99 cents.

LINK: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=309047464&mt=8
05-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Review (reposted): Treasures of Montezuma's a treasure

The Treasures of Montezuma is unique game that elevates the traditional match-3 game to a new level. The game is a combination of strategy and fast thinking with a touch of planning. The initial objective of the game is to make matches of 3 or more of the same tokens keeping in mind that within certain tokens are gems that you must collect. Basically, each level has a specific numbers of gems that need to be chained together and collected to complete the levels before time runs out. Here is the unique part of Montezuma: the star system. Each time you complete a level, you are awarded a star that can be used to unlock special power ups or totems for use during the game. Doing so unleashes awesome chain reaction effects that allow you to collect the gems in the next level. Also, there are nine trophies that can be unlocked for performing combos, and other various accomplishments.

Montezuma has 14 power ups that can be unlocked with each upgradeable to four stars. The powers that you acquire include extending the timer, increasing the number of gems on screen or destroy specific colored stones. In the early levels, I find the best strategy is to spread these stars around the various power ups to give you a broader range of powers. As you progress, you will need to be strategic in which power ups to upgrade. In addition, whenever there are no more matches to be made, the board is automatically reshuffled. You can also choose to shuffle via the Shuffle button located in the top middle of the screen, but you’ll want to use these only when absolutely necessary since you only have 2 of them. Of course, the game presents obstacles including chains that prevent certain stones from moving (which can be destroyed by making matches), and iron stones that don’t move at all. As you progress through the levels, you’ll discover how to strategically make or not make matches to clear the board. A good way to score bonus points is to create a Scoring Frenzy, which occurs when you fill the entire play area with chain reactions from matches. One of the strategies is to add stars to the Scoring Frenzy power up when possible because it will lengthen the time for a Scoring Frenzy.

The Treasure of Montezuma is an extremely well-presented, high-production value game, and while it’s categorized in the match-3 genre, it really is so much more than that. This is an engaging puzzler that will keep you on your toes.
05-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashzed View Post
Just saw it, Treasures of Montezuma, a very polished match 3 game, is on sale for 99 cents.

LINK: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=309047464&mt=8
Again? The most recent $0.99 sale just ended on Sunday.

GameCenter/OpenFeint/Plus+/Agon/Gameloft Live/Xbox LIVE/PSN ID: VoodooVyper
05-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Visuals look very nice, but how does the gameplay differ from Bejeweled? Is it all that different?

EDIT: Damn, Big Albie, you were quick with that reply... I was actually typing my post in response to the first post...

• Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond YnthParachute PanicChicken Raid
• Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox
05-07-2009, 09:42 AM
hehehe, you put me in my place Albie
05-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Just trigger happy...plus I was at my desk.