★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Planet Buster - Blow up stars and loot precious treasures!

12-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Planet Buster - Blow up stars and loot precious treasures!

Hey everyone, I am part of Exit Strategy Entertainment - a young indie games start-up. We are working on a game series called "Pirates of New Horizons" starring a young space pirate girl named “Annha”. In Planet Buster Annha dreams of distant planets and the precious treasures that they contain, after a long day of stargazing on her ship.

It's a game in the match3 puzzle genre, but it does quite a few things differently to make it more challenging and engaging, so don't brush it off just yet!

Here are the features:

Swap any tiles you want to but keep an eye on your treasure chest as every move costs a (virtual) gold doubloon! Contemplate before each move if it is really worth it!

Travel around the fantastic locations of the Pirates of New Horizons universe on the game's map, visit the alien vendor to replenish your arsenal and beat 48 different stages!

Solve 18 additional, carefully designed "challenge stages" to unlock 6 special weapons that you can use to rack up more loot or to temporarily freeze time!

Enjoy beautiful artworks and effects powered by the Unity3D graphics engine!

Support indie game development: every cent generated by Planet Buster goes straight into the development of our Pirates of New Horizons Action Adventure!

Take this addictive puzzler with you on a long ride home for Christmas or gift the game to a friend through the App Store!

Promo codes are available upon request (please send me a pm or a quick mail to friedrich@exitstrategyentertainment.com)!

The Price: 2.99 $ / 2.39 €

Enjoy!

Last edited by Friedrich; 12-20-2011 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Fixed links
12-16-2011, 12:19 PM
PM sent.

One question, however. While I have no issue with in-game currencies being used to unlock or buy power-ups, I have to admit I get a little nervous. The VAST majority of iOS games using any sort of currency seem to do so as an attempt to layer their coffers with a little IAP cash. I don't even haven an issue with IAPs directly, it's just when advancing through a PAID game practically requires IAP investments to complete. I don't mind them being offered as a shortcut but hope, if in the game, they're not needed.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews

Last edited by LordGek; 12-16-2011 at 12:24 PM.

12-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
PM sent.

One question, however. While I have no issue with in-game currencies being used to unlock or buy power-ups, I have to admit I get a little nervous. The VAST majority of iOS games using any sort of currency seem to do so as an attempt to layer their coffers with a little IAP cash. I don't even haven an issue with IAPs directly, it's just when advancing through a PAID game practically requires IAP investments to complete. I don't mind them being offered as a shortcut but hope, if in the game, they're not needed.
It does not look on the App store that there is IAP?? I was thinking it was more just an in-game mechanism that as you play you would get coins, and then use those to "puchase" power ups... Much like "purchasing" weapons in Sword and Poker - it is just in-game money... I am hoping anyways!

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
12-16-2011, 12:41 PM
I can assure you that all coins spent in the game are strictly VIRTUAL. The game doesn't use IAP, you pay once to purchase the app, that's it! The only thing that happens when you run out of coins is: you lose. But you can try again with a new batch of coins!

Last edited by Friedrich; 12-16-2011 at 12:44 PM.
12-16-2011, 06:00 PM
I am finding this game extremely fun to play.

it is a matching game, but instead of just sliding one block up or down, left or right, you can choose any block and swap it with another.
However, there are 2 things one has to consider - you only have as many moves as you have coins, and there is a clock. The clock starts off very generously, so time initially is not even a consideration, and to a certain extent your move count is not really a problem. As you make combos, more coins are added, and so move count goes up. There are "challenges" that if solved, give you specials such as swapping colors, blowing up a section, freezing the clock, etc. As you move through levels, the clock starts shortening, and I ran out of time at level 7.

Nice graphics, a good UI, and the game play is nice as there is definitely a time element, but it is not frantic - there is time to think -sort of like speed chess - you can think a little, but you can't just ponder while setting up combos. The matching elements work well, and as you have the potential to make some pretty big combos through some appropriate set up swaps, you can clear a lot of the board, and get some nice coinage. The level up system gives you more powers, although less time. However, you can always go back to previous levels if you want to grind through to get some extra coins, and there is a store where items start becoming available...

As noted above NO IAP!!! All the coins are virtual, and just to be used within the game. You have to balance what you are going to purchase though - because remember that each of your moves on the board cost coins...

Very well thought out, and well put together. I think that match 3 fans will have a blast with this... I spent a couple hours on it off and on. It saves state, and there is a resume so even when you "quit" you can return to the last levels. There is a world map - I still have not conquered the first world - but it looks like 4 or 5 other worlds with I would guess 8 or 9 levels each? Anyways, a nice alternative to the usual match 3. I would recommend that people give it a whirl...

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
12-17-2011, 05:35 AM
Thank you so much for the extensive review and the kind words! Very glad that you enjoy it! There are 6 worlds containing 48 stages + 18 challenge levels in total!
12-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Another puzzle game. Are there any other diferences apart from the fact that we can swap the items? It costs 3$ and we can find for sure some other games which are something like this and are cheaper.
12-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomekSzymek View Post
Another puzzle game. Are there any other diferences apart from the fact that we can swap the items? It costs 3$ and we can find for sure some other games which are something like this and are cheaper.
Yeah, the idea that your in-game cash powers your turns. Unless you make big enough moves to make some coins you'll soon run out of moves.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
12-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Received a code. This puzzle game is fantastic. Perfect touch controls, great art and a very cool theme.
12-18-2011, 03:13 PM
PM sent. I like the production values on this and I've really been itching for a new match 3 to play, since Popcap has failed to bring Bejeweled to iPad yet again. I don't normally care for games where any 2 pieces can be swapped, but maybe the coin mechanic helps compensate for that.