★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Welcome to Arena Slayer! Are you cunning enough to slip past the avatars of Ackme? Strong enough to break free of the icy grip of the warriors of the North? Crazy enough to think you can survive more than a few seconds against the Battlemasters of the Great Arena? Build your legacy, hone your skills, grow in infamy as you take on a world of adversaries in your attempt to become the Arena Burst Slayer! Dr. Ackme is waiting for you!

This is the world of Arena Slayer, a head-to-head same-turn-based combat game where players select their character teams and positions and compete for global dominance. Select your party members, their slot positions, learn their abilities and head into the Arena to fight against the AI or go online to compete against other human adversaries via Game Center.

Cobalt Plasma's comments:
Hey everyone!

One of the developers of Arena Slayer here (art/design-side, my friend does all the programming/networking) and wanted to spread the love of our little same-turn strategy combat game. This is our second iOS game and we wanted to try something a little different than our first which was an RPG.

The game is a same-turn strategy game where your use the abilities of your 3-member team to defeat the other team to advance through the Arena, calculating the pros and cons of each move you select. Every round has a player choosing an ability he or she would use, factoring in aspects such as the abilities speed, effect, and cost along with guessing what your opponent will do. The pace gives all players are more equal footing in 'fighting' one another and lets combat be less frenetic and more calculating. The last team standing wins and advances to the next match in the Arena.

We have a fun stable of characters to pool from, each with their own set of varying abilities and have plans to patch in 4 more in a few weeks, with another 4 coming within the month after that. We're hoping to always be adding new characters and tweaking the balance on existing ones so players will have an ever-evolving gaming experience.

iTunes Link : http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/arenaslayer/id481166259?mt=8
Our Webpage : http://www.arenaburstslayer.com

Some screenshots:

YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYWu_...layer_embedded

Things we're working on now :
- Universal App : Right now it's for just the iPhone and works only in iOS5
- More characters : In a few weeks we'll be patching another 4 (maybe 8?) characters in to bring the roster up to 20-24, with another 4 coming another month or so after that. We're hoping to always be adding/adjusting characters to the roster
- Versus Friends list : We had one integrated originally but weren't happy with how it was handling. This is something we'll add sooner than later and might just go with the standard Game Center presentation so that folks can play versus their friends.

Thank you very much for taking the time to check this out and we hope to see you out in the Arena!
12-16-2011, 05:28 PM

Youtube link | Pop Up

12-16-2011, 05:32 PM
This looks super cool!!
12-16-2011, 05:35 PM
The other RPG by this developer is Obsidian Rift (Touch Arcade thread).

As an aside these developers should break the silence about Obsidian Rift by posting a gameplay video or elaborating on the gameplay: I've been on the fence about Obsidian Rift forever.

Last edited by undeadcow; 12-16-2011 at 05:46 PM.
12-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
I'm liking the menus graphics on Obsidian Rift!
12-16-2011, 06:32 PM
undeadcow, TC Games, thank you very much for the kind words and support ^_^ It's much appreciated, hehe. We're really excited about Arena Slayer and all of our future upcoming crazy-fun projects hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post

As an aside these developers should break the silence about Obsidian Rift by posting a gameplay video or elaborating on the gameplay: I've been on the fence about Obsidian Rift forever.
I'll get a video of Obsidian Rift this weekend as soon as I have some time We've hit more and more snags with it as the months have gone on and I'm not sure if we'll be able to patch it with more updates though, sadly; my programmer friend informed me a little while back about how he cut a lot of corners to get it to launch and iOS5 shut down a lot that. Personally I still play it lol, there's a few items I know are in the game but I haven't had the random luck to get them to drop yet.

Would it be bad taste to necro the thread, should I make another one, or see if I can edit in the link to the video somewhere? I'll figure something out and get a gameplay video up ASAP (I guess if anything you can keep an eye on my YouTube channel, heh).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Games View Post
I'm liking the menus graphics on Obsidian Rift!
Thanks TC Games ^_^ I was pretty happy lucking out on the menu, we went with I think the second iteration of thumbnails I produced and refined that just a little bit more.

Again, thanks for the support guys
12-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Good luck with your game, you may need it...

The title of the game caught my attention but as I saw the gameplay video, well...
12-16-2011, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDjax View Post
Good luck with your game, you may need it...

The title of the game caught my attention but as I saw the gameplay video, well...
My friend would say "if I need luck, something went wrong!" but I'd err on the side of "it is what it is, all we can do is our best" Was there anything in particular you disliked about the game (or if it's an easier pitch, anything you liked about the game? hehe).

For our own parts we enjoy playing and like testing against each other but some of that enjoyment might have just stemmed from the fact that we enjoy all sorts of versus-style games in general

But yes, I'll take the luck on behalf of our team haha, thanks for posting your thoughts ^_^

@Cobaltplasma : Twitter : Elthinia Updates, Images, etc.
* Elthinia : JRPG - WIP thread
* Obsidian Rift : Fantasy RPG