Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-19-2011, 02:12 PM

Default Game Impressions

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 12-19-2011, 02:15 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

I'm really on the edge of getting this, as I'd love to have something to replace the (broken) Tony Hawk 2 (that Activision has no interest in ever fixing, apparently). I found the controls in Mike V: Do or Die to be pretty unwelcoming, however, and so I'd really like to hear some impressions on the controls here.

Also, is it possible to play music from one's own iTunes library rather than the in-game music and at the same time keep the game's sound effects on?
Old 12-19-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medianotzu View Post
I'm really on the edge of getting this, as I'd love to have something to replace the (broken) Tony Hawk 2 (that Activision has no interest in ever fixing, apparently). I found the controls in Mike V: Do or Die to be pretty unwelcoming, however, and so I'd really like to hear some impressions on the controls here.

Also, is it possible to play music from one's own iTunes library rather than the in-game music and at the same time keep the game's sound effects on?
Regarding the controls, this was really a top priority and main focus with this new title. We had many testers, including first time players from all ages in order to make it as user friendly as possible and easy to pick up.

For the music, yes when using your own library you still keep all the game sound fx.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratrodstudio View Post
Regarding the controls, this was really a top priority and main focus with this new title. We had many testers, including first time players from all ages in order to make it as user friendly as possible and easy to pick up.

For the music, yes when using your own library you still keep all the game sound fx.
Okay, okay, I'm inching towards the buy button now...but one more question--how does this run on an iPod Touch 4G with the newest iOS? Been having lots of trouble getting things that won't crash lately, especially things with 3D graphics.

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medianotzu View Post
Okay, okay, I'm inching towards the buy button now...but one more question--how does this run on an iPod Touch 4G with the newest iOS? Been having lots of trouble getting things that won't crash lately, especially things with 3D graphics.

Thanks!
It will run perfectly even in multiplayer. There shouldnt be any problems, we did a lot of testing with all devices and os versions.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratrodstudio View Post
It will run perfectly even in multiplayer. There shouldnt be any problems, we did a lot of testing with all devices and os versions.
I'm out of excuses! Buying now. I will let the board know what I think of it.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:43 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

I'm enjoying this quite a bit. It's like I'm back in HS playing thrasher on PS1. However, the controls feel a little clunky and non responsive. The Ollie button doesn't work half the time. I don't like using the left joy stick for different tricks either. It doesn't feel right. It probably would be fine with those joystick pieces you can buy, but not with a touch screen. I'd definitely prefer a separate directional button for the tricks. Pulling off combos of Grabs and Flips is a pain the arse and not fun at all.

I'm relying on grind combos for large points. Also, I still can't tell how to get the most air off a ramp.. I've tried releasing at the last second and that doesn't work. If anything, it feels somewhat random. Sometimes I'll get big air, sometimes I'll smack into an object. Summed up, I just find it hard getting into a rhythm or a groove like I'd get in Skate or THPS. Half the game is fun while the other half I feel like I'm fighting the control scheme.

For the price, it's a fun game and I'll keep playing most definitely. I'd recommend it for anyone that used to play the Tony Hawk games and wants something similar for the ipad.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:14 PM

I have really had fun in the time I've spent with this so far. I've played 3 of the environments, and all are pretty expansive and solid. I would say they compare pretty favorably to something like Tony Hawk 2 although they don't flow quite as nicely for me somehow. I think some of this has to do with design being slightly weaker, but that is understandable. I also think that it's partially to do with the amount of time I've spent with each game, as in, TH got a lot more playing time from me and I'm still learning with this game. That is how I'm currently evaluating the controls as well, which I generally have a pretty positive impression of.

The graphics are nice, nothing incredible, but the game looks good and more than satisfies me in this regard. I am about 50/50 on the music, some of it is great but some of it is just not my style. Fortunately the music playback feature does pretty well. Lots of fun listening to Bad Religion or The Misfits while playing. There is maybe a bit of a performance hit from this on my device but that's no surprise and in general the game runs great.

There is a lot of customization here, which is really appreciated. I would love to see more environments of course, but there is a fairly good amount of content in the game and enough things to do, such as special tricks (jumping over a mailbox, grinding a swingset, etc.) and secret items/areas to find. I would say the difficulty is set pretty low, especially since you can just chain together grind combos easily for huge scores, but I suppose this is better than the game being too hard to progress in. The online functionality adds a lot of replayability if you want to compete for high scores.

Overall a very good skating game. With TH2 out of commission it is most certainly the best of its kind available for iOS.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:38 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

That's right, Mike V: Skateboard Party is a candidate for TouchArcade's Game of the Week!

If you want it to make the cut, nominate it for voting in this thread.

Note: This poll is for existing TouchArcade members only. Developers may not nominate/vote for their own games, nor bring outsiders in to vote.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:34 AM

Awesome! Please take a minute to vote for us
You guys rock! thanks for your support

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=117844