★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

WARNING: Developer mimicking popular games

12-17-2011, 08:42 AM
WARNING: Developer mimicking popular games

I can't believe there's no easy way to "report" a developer to Apple, but I've seen a bunch of these crop up in the last few days - all from the same developer - Boy Boys Girl Girls. This is pretty common, but these are outright infringing in a number of ways, and I believe could easily confuse the average person doing a search. Does anyone know a way to report a developer? How do these even get approved?

Infinity Blades:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/infinity-blades/id487221996?mt=8

Cut The Rope: Classic:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cut-the-rope-classic/id486380518?mt=8

Fruit Ninja 2D:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fruit-ninja-2d/id486380744?mt=8

Worms 3:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/worms-3/id469002078?mt=8

Minecraft Puzzle:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/minecraft-puzzle/id482023814?mt=8

Forgive me if I didn't post these correctly, but I wanted to pass this along for those who might be confused.
12-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Thanks for this post...I noticed these fake games in appstore too...pay attention guys!

I love this world!

12-18-2011, 11:05 AM
What I can't believe is the idiots that fall for these...

Is it not obvious? They should ask themselves 3 simple questions. Who is the developer? Why have I not hear of this game coming out? and, Why is there no gameplay shots when there usually are some?

If they had read any 1 of those 3 w's then they would not have wasted 99c

I understand that it's good to warn people, but it's not really needed. If someone falls for this guys cons then that serves them right.....

Dropped iPhone 6 on live tv. Became a viral sensation.
App Reviewer and Writer for Pocketfullofapps.com. Got a new game? Want a review? Contact me!
Follow Me On Twitter @Triggywiggy BETA Tested: View Here I can test yours too!
12-18-2011, 11:48 AM
That's pretty annoying. Too bad there's most likely no legal recourse.

Got lost on my way to GameFAQs...
GID: stlredbird
12-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggywiggy View Post
What I can't believe is the idiots that fall for these...

Is it not obvious? They should ask themselves 3 simple questions. Who is the developer? Why have I not hear of this game coming out? and, Why is there no gameplay shots when there usually are some?

If they had read any 1 of those 3 w's then they would not have wasted 99c

I understand that it's good to warn people, but it's not really needed. If someone falls for this guys cons then that serves them right.....
Not one of those questions would be asked by any average user.

Average people only hear of a game, search for it, and download/buy it.

what might be odd to you, as a member of an internet forum dedicated to such games, is not odd to most other people.

Devs like this guy, who are doing nothing but conning people, should be banned.

Playing: Ski Safari, Polara, Girls Like Robots, Dynamite Jack, Monster Flip, Polymer, Super Mole Escape, Dream of Pixels, Radballs
12-18-2011, 01:07 PM
I know what the person means, its like those 419 scams where people fall for an email from Dr Un Bongo offering them a share of 28 million dollars if they give their bank details.

I mean there are some dopey people here (sorry) as i've seen in the past people reply to spam posts not realising theyre fake and asking about the cheap ipods etc.

But the app store is meant to be checked by Apple so you should feel 'safe' but these still get through.
12-18-2011, 04:51 PM
It's funny that they have 2 apps named Moron 4 IQ Test, and Where's My Brain.
12-18-2011, 06:16 PM
The best thing to do when you spot these is contact the developer of the original title, make them aware their work is being stolen and they'll contact Apple. If they think it's worth it.
12-18-2011, 09:07 PM
not exactly on topic but since this caught my attention, i have to admit that it's pretty lame to browse the free apps and stumble upon titles with names like "angry chickens" or "penguin wings"...developers should be ashamed to take a sucsessful game and copy-paste it changing only a couple of textures and half the name:/ and now these games make me wonder even more how the hell can such titles be approved by apple?
12-18-2011, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poizone View Post
not exactly on topic but since this caught my attention, i have to admit that it's pretty lame to browse the free apps and stumble upon titles with names like "angry chickens" or "penguin wings"...developers should be ashamed to take a sucsessful game and copy-paste it changing only a couple of textures and half the name:/ and now these games make me wonder even more how the hell can such titles be approved by apple?
I think when it comes to games like that Apple themselves don't decide if an app breaks copyright rules and remove it unless the original copyright holder complains. Which makes sense but I think in cases like this Apple should themselves should remove the app/game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
I know what the person means, its like those 419 scams where people fall for an email from Dr Un Bongo offering them a share of 28 million dollars if they give their bank details.
It's not really the same thing at all. This isn't some random email from a person youve never met offering you huge sums of money. This is more like if you went to a store bought a bottle that was called "coca colas" and it turned out to be soy sauce instead of Coke.

Also requesting name change to Dr Un Bongo

Playing: Ski Safari, Polara, Girls Like Robots, Dynamite Jack, Monster Flip, Polymer, Super Mole Escape, Dream of Pixels, Radballs

Last edited by Filing Cabinet; 12-18-2011 at 11:39 PM.