★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: **************************************
International Snooker returns bigger, better and bursting with features taking all cue gaming to new heights.

Already a smash hit on iPhone and iPad 2012 edition brings more features, enhanced audio and visuals and hundreds of hours of gameplay:

*** New update now features pool modes***
*** Please reboot your device after updating ***

A new Career Mode places you in a full rolling year on year professional snooker career, playing 15 tournaments in 14 locations around the world competing to be world number 1.

Global internet Multiplayer Mode gives you the opportunity to take on the best the world has to offer and earn your bragging rights for real.

Fill your trophy cabinet with 16 trophies from 7 major and 7 minor events, 1 invitational event plus the coveted 147 trophy.

*NEW* Now includes three unlockable Quick Play Pool modes: UK 8-ball, US 8-ball and US 9-Ball.

Back spin, top spin and swerve the cue ball with simulation quality physics.

Earn a 147 maximum break and entry to the exclusive 147 club.

Use Career Mode winnings to upgrade equipment to increase power, swerve, spin and player kudos.

Frame by frame replays with slow-mo and dynamic cameras including pocket cams and the new follow the ball cam.

Referee voiced by Michaela Tabb the worlds favourite referee of snooker and pool competitions.

Stats and Achievements with full Apple Game Centre integration.

All new graphics engine with an even greater level of detail and realism.
12-18-2011, 10:58 AM
No interest in this here it seems, so I won't bother saying too much at this stage. Short version though: big improvement over the original game and strongly recommended. I'll post more in depth impressions if someone asks.

12-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
No interest in this here it seems, so I won't bother saying too much at this stage. Short version though: big improvement over the original game and strongly recommended. I'll post more in depth impressions if someone asks.
Looking forward for your impressions man
12-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Hmmm, tell me more. I like snooker, billiards,...
Any minigames? and how is the fine tuning for aiming?
12-18-2011, 11:33 AM
How's the physics? Not floaty I hope. Might get this based on some impressions. Which might not be very forthcoming around here

---------------------------
Mom Says Get Married!!
12-18-2011, 12:11 PM
12-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Loved the original, so I'm excited for this, particularly since it's Universal.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
12-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Game Impressions

I'm not a fan of the original release of this game. It suffered mainly from unnatural ball movement (it would pull up too fast) and really dire sound (every shot sounded the same) but overall too just felt a bit sloppy. I picked up this version hoping for improvements and as it turns out it really delivers.

The sounds are now varied and appropriate to shot type. The cloth can be adjusted to one of three settings and on "fast" the ball movement is very natural and realistic.

The physics overall really shine. In most snooker games getting better means figuring out how what rules govern that particular game's physics and to what extent. Here, you'll discover that the rules which govern the game's physics are exceptionally close to the ones that apply in real life. I was delighted to discover, for example, that while at 50% power a shot hit in the cue ball's center will happily travel right up the table and off the top cushion, if I attempt to apply deep screw and still hit with power set to 50% it will barely go a meter if that. I'm yet to experiment with adding side.

The graphics too are a big improvement over the first game, and there is now an interesting career mode, as well as online play which I haven't yet tried.

There is some IAP but it appears to be a way to quickly unlock stuff you can purchase with credits. (From career mode I presume.) One oddity is cue upgrades which look like they belong in a 9 Ball pool game (because they do.) A very strange addition considering how authentic the game appears in other respects. Perhaps an attempt to appeal to the US market, but definitely misguided.

It might not be saying much considering the number of snooker games released over time, but this is the second best snooker game I've played on any platform ever. The first is still Archer MacLean's Jimmy White Whirlwind Snooker but that is a different beast entirely that actually made you better at playing the real thing. Virtual Pool, actually, does the same thing on the iOS (and elsewhere) but doesn't have Snooker.

This game won't teach you shot angles the way those games did, but it can actually teach you a little about break building - at least the strategy side if not technique. What it definitely can do is make you feel like you're able to play the game of snooker at top level with only a little practice, and let you have a lot of fun in the process.
12-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
I'm not a fan of the original release of this game. It suffered mainly from unnatural ball movement (it would pull up too fast) and really dire sound (every shot sounded the same) but overall too just felt a bit sloppy. I picked up this version hoping for improvements and as it turns out it really delivers.

The sounds are now varied and appropriate to shot type. The cloth can be adjusted to one of three settings and on "fast" the ball movement is very natural and realistic.

The physics overall really shine. In most snooker games getting better means figuring out how what rules govern that particular game's physics and to what extent. Here, you'll discover that the rules which govern the game's physics are exceptionally close to the ones that apply in real life. I was delighted to discover, for example, that while at 50% power a shot hit in the cue ball's center will happily travel right up the table and off the top cushion, if I attempt to apply deep screw and still hit with power set to 50% it will barely go a meter if that. I'm yet to experiment with adding side.

The graphics too are a big improvement over the first game, and there is now an interesting career mode, as well as online play which I haven't yet tried.

There is some IAP but it appears to be a way to quickly unlock stuff you can purchase with credits. (From career mode I presume.) One oddity is cue upgrades which look like they belong in a 9 Ball pool game (because they do.) A very strange addition considering how authentic the game appears in other respects. Perhaps an attempt to appeal to the US market, but definitely misguided.

It might not be saying much considering the number of snooker games released over time, but this is the second best snooker game I've played on any platform ever. The first is still Archer MacLean's Jimmy White Whirlwind Snooker but that is a different beast entirely that actually made you better at playing the real thing. Virtual Pool, actually, does the same thing on the iOS (and elsewhere) but doesn't have Snooker.

This game won't teach you shot angles the way those games did, but it can actually teach you a little about break building - at least the strategy side if not technique. What it definitely can do is make you feel like you're able to play the game of snooker at top level with only a little practice, and let you have a lot of fun in the process.
will get this one. Haven't bought too many full priced games this month (courtesy sales and a huuuuuge backlog of games) but this one seems to be it. Really liking what I heard from you and saw in the video. Is "Archer MacLean's Jimmy White Whirlwind Snooker " available or PC?

Thanks Gabrien, Toad.

---------------------------
Mom Says Get Married!!
12-18-2011, 03:19 PM
The original captured the feel of the BBC coverage from thirty years ago, which I liked, but had a couple of glaring omissions, lacking the free ball and touching ball rules. I wrote to the devs at the time but never heard back from them.

Does anyone know if the rules have been improved in this version?