★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Welcome to the world of Onaji: a fun puzzle game that combines color-matching and pachinko with strategy. This versatile game is ideal no matter what your skill level. So easy to play that ANYONE can do it; yet challenging enough to twist the thumbs of the experienced gamer.

Ready for the value?
Onaji is designed with each mobile device in mind. Whether you have an iPod touch, iPad, and/or iPhone 4 each display will be filled with vibrant graphics native to their resolutions without having to purchase them separately!!

Game Features:
Twenty levels
Steadily increasing difficulty
Soothing audio
Seasonal color changes on tiles
Recorded best score/time

Need HELP or want to discuss strategies? Visit our forums: http://www.forums.squishypixels.net/

LordGek's comments:
I'm really liking this game and, despite its similar look, this is NOT a Trism clone!

The core gameplay consists of clicking on same colored groups of triangles, with bigger groups earning more points. If you clear a group that contains at least one solid hexagon you'll earn a Onaji triangle. The only way to finish the level is to create a solid hexagon of these Onaji triangles. While these Onaji triangles are the key to clearing a level, they're obnoxious unclearable little obstacles until you do manage to clear a level and, if not careful, will cause you to fail a level once it becomes filled with these little buggers!

The game is comprised of 20 levels which are unlocked sequentially with each successive level adding further twists to liven play up (like all tiles of a certain color are locked, or all tiles of a certain color are worth double points).

While I appreciate how the game tracks the player's top score and time, I'm not clear if these two stats are being tracked independently (like if I replay a level with a better time but lesser score, I'm not sure if my better time is recorded). It is my hope these two stats are tracked independently and I'd like to add a third stat! I call it the "Efficiency" stat. This would simply be the player's score divided by time of their last run. I really need something like this as, in its current form, I can achieve a seemingly infinite score on any given level if given infinite time. If I really want to get the top score on a level all I need to do is screw around on a level without trying to complete it until I beat my last top score. If their was an Efficiency stat I'd need to really justify and earn my extra time taken as well as being a neat way to factor both time and score together of a run in a meaningful way.

The Dev's Upcoming Thread:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=116034
12-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Game Impressions

OOooooo...Very interesting stat idea, LordGek. We are BIG fans of user input and take it all into consideration for our future updates. I'll run that by the rest of the guys, at our next meeting (likely after the Christmas break) This was a GREAT writeup and I look forward to hearing more input from others that have played the game.

To answer your question on whether or not the best times/scores are independently tracked, the answer is yes. Improve on a previously beaten level and you'll see either stat change for the better the next time you visit the calendar.

What are your feelings on the other stats? love 'em/hate 'em? Would you like to see a 3-star rating system to address the efficiency stat?

We have other gameplay modes that we'll be adding in soon to add spice and even MORE replayability!

Creator of the puzzle game, Onaji. Take if for a spin:

Buy it here!

Last edited by Squishy Pixels; 12-18-2011 at 10:33 AM.

12-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Is there a gameplay video?

>
It should be a standard feature that you can turn on/off in-game music and sound effects separately in all games
!
12-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyhjyh View Post
Is there a gameplay video?
Yes, there is video on our Youtube page showing gameplay and us commenting on the development here

Buy it here!
12-18-2011, 12:17 PM
I'm a Trism fanatic, so I'll pick this up, even if it isn't even a clone. lol Besides, it got a thumbs up from LordGek and he knows his business.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
12-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy Pixels View Post
Yes, there is video on our Youtube page showing gameplay and us commenting on the development here
Thanks - looks like a great game

Youtube link | Pop Up

>
It should be a standard feature that you can turn on/off in-game music and sound effects separately in all games
!
12-18-2011, 04:03 PM
Game Impressions

While still gunning for my Efficiency stat, it dawned on me that the current two stats aren't too shabby if you look at them at two separate variations of play.

Basically one can not play a level in this game to both get a top score and a top time simultaneously as they're practically contradictory goals (playing as efficiently as possible to clear a level in record time will not result in that great of a score). On the other hand, since these two stats are tracked independently for each level, you can decide in any play through if you're going for a top time (just making enough Onaji as quickly as possible to meet the requirements and blow out of this level) or top score (taking all the time you need to score big groupings, and if at all possible, avoid making any Onaji as they'll only limit your space to score big moves).

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
12-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djflippy View Post
I'm a Trism fanatic, so I'll pick this up, even if it isn't even a clone. lol Besides, it got a thumbs up from LordGek and he knows his business.
The stuff you learn as an obsessional game hoarder.

My iTunes Reviews
12-19-2011, 02:09 PM
Lord Gek, since you play Onaji on multiple devices would you say the purchase was a good deal since we've included all three game resolutions in one binary?

Buy it here!
12-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy Pixels View Post
Lord Gek, since you play Onaji on multiple devices would you say the purchase was a good deal since we've included all three game resolutions in one binary?
Sure. When I first got it I assumed it was iPhone/iPod only. So after having a blast with it on my iPod 4G (so nice crisp retina stuff), I put it on my iPad as well where it looks and play beautifully as well. I think I prefer it on the iPad as then there are far less mis-taps.

My iTunes Reviews