★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

[WIP] Pixel Art Destruction game concept prototype

12-19-2011, 01:21 AM
#1
[WIP] Pixel Art Destruction game concept prototype

So we are about a month in on development on this project and we've come a long way! Long enough that we feel pretty comfortable showing it off.

Check it out HERE

* It requires the Unity Plugin

Use your mouse to control the bulldozer (akin to a touch screen)

Please keep in mind that this is very early (1 month proof of concept) so we only have the main mechanics featured:
  1. vehicular destruction of the environment
  2. vehicular combat
  3. enemy escalation systems
  4. player and enemy health
  5. Top down Pixel art graphics inc destructio

We are working on bringing this mechanics up to scratch and working out our technical limitations. The type of gameplay we will be exploring is mini objectives that you start the level with rather than one set objective per level/session.

The game will be released on iOS and we are planning to release it as a freemium game with everything full playable for our free players.

Early Screenshots:








If you would like to keep up to date with news and blogs about our game stay tuned to our twitter @AnomalousInt!

So have fun with it and tell us what you think!

www.anomalousinteractive.com

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter 'cuz we're awesome and Australian. That's right, I'm having a beer at work right now.

Last edited by Anomalous Interactive; 12-19-2011 at 08:27 PM.
12-19-2011, 03:26 AM
#2
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,556
Good explosions and smoke effects!

Loving the 'alpha' gameplay already! Driving a bulldozer through houses is (a bit unrealistic but) extremely satisfying! Wait what!?

I understand this is the game in very early development, so some of the stuff I request may already be planned for the completed game:
Flying debris!
Sandbox mode (a.k.a free play)
Scores for destruction? Preferably shown in popping numbers (I love those for some reason), highlight large scores in gold
Projectile weapons

Controls:
Touch, wheel, accelero (tilt) and gyro (more accurate than accelero isn't it?)
-------------------------
Some may call the gameplay shallow but hey, since when did large scale demolition of a peaceful town require brains?

12-19-2011, 03:39 AM
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunxsword View Post
Good explosions and smoke effects!

Loving the 'alpha' gameplay already! Driving a bulldozer through houses is (a bit unrealistic but) extremely satisfying! Wait what!?

I understand this is the game in very early development, so some of the stuff I request may already be planned for the completed game:
Flying debris!
Sandbox mode (a.k.a free play)
Scores for destruction? Preferably shown in popping numbers (I love those for some reason), highlight large scores in gold
Projectile weapons

Controls:
Touch, wheel, accelero (tilt) and gyro (more accurate than accelero isn't it?)
-------------------------
Some may call the gameplay shallow but hey, since when did large scale demolition of a peaceful town require brains?
Hey thanks for the feedback! It IS early in development and we really are just showcasing our awesome core mechanic and gameplay so all requests and reccomendations are completely relevant.

However:

1. Flying Debris: We are working hard on a good solution for this that won't abuse the pixel art style or capabilities of the phone - it WILL be in there though

2. Sandbox Mode: Really interesting idea! We are kind of aiming that the way the levels play out will feel like sandbox mode - similiar to GTA I & II. The player can choose to complete objectives OR just muck around destroying buildings and fighting cops!

3. Scores: ARE a definate! We just havent got around to working on the UI yet hehe.

4. Projectile Weapons: BOTH the player and the Cops will have access to Projectile Weapons - The curent design for the player will involve over the top shotgun blasts, missile launchers and tank cannons - all of which will destroy the environment too! We are also considering having the weapons fire automatically removing a layer of input for the player (please give us your thoughts on this).

5. Controls - We will put a wheel as a control option and hopefully improve swiping input as well.

As far as theme goes - we are building it into the universe of the 3 Little Pigs where you play as the Big Bad Wolf hell bent on venegence (I dunno if you can tell the straw, wood and brick houses yet...)

Please keep the feedback coming!

www.anomalousinteractive.com

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter 'cuz we're awesome and Australian. That's right, I'm having a beer at work right now.
12-19-2011, 06:46 AM
#4
Joined: May 2011
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,366
Don't have unity web player on my ubuntu... Could you post screenshots?

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
12-19-2011, 08:19 PM
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLavi View Post
Don't have unity web player on my ubuntu... Could you post screenshots?
Screenshots have been editted into the OP!

www.anomalousinteractive.com

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter 'cuz we're awesome and Australian. That's right, I'm having a beer at work right now.
12-19-2011, 08:49 PM
#6
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,556
ARGH! The WHEEL! How bout two arrows/buttons as well? I haven't had any pleasant experience with virtual steering wheels.
Btw, I really think the game could work with Tilt to Live style controls

Weapons:
Need a rapid fire weapon - roof mounted chaingun!
If you need more inspirations, get some from Twisted Metal... 'nuff said.

A semi auto firing system could suit the game better. Player tap on enemies to select target, and the weapon fires automatically.
Or you could tilt to fire when using wheel/button options.
12-19-2011, 10:03 PM
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunxsword View Post
ARGH! The WHEEL! How bout two arrows/buttons as well? I haven't had any pleasant experience with virtual steering wheels.
Btw, I really think the game could work with Tilt to Live style controls

Weapons:
Need a rapid fire weapon - roof mounted chaingun!
If you need more inspirations, get some from Twisted Metal... 'nuff said.

A semi auto firing system could suit the game better. Player tap on enemies to select target, and the weapon fires automatically.
Or you could tilt to fire when using wheel/button options.
Awesome, thats some really good feedback, cheers!

www.anomalousinteractive.com

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter 'cuz we're awesome and Australian. That's right, I'm having a beer at work right now.