★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: What an exhausting 2-3 weeks of games

05-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
What an exhausting 2-3 weeks of games

There was like NOTHING that came out earlier this year, and recently we have just been absolutely INUNDATED with awesome, high caliber games. I mean, Assassin's Creed??? Need for Speed??? Terminator??? Myst??? Tiger Woods??? These are legitimate portable console games that are of somewhat similar quality to PSPs and DS's.

And let me say this. I have been buying iphone games since day one, when MonkeyBall came out (which is still awesome to this day and has aged VERY well), and I became somewhat of a gamer/retrogamer. Now I've been burned before (Enigmo, Asphalt) and gotten some great deals (Bounce On, Rebel Assault) but there's one game I want to just talk about for a bit.

Wolfenstein 3d. This is a game that I grew up with as a kid. It was my first PC game and taught me that computer games can be something more interactive and fun compared to Oregon Trail and Carmen Sandiego. As much as I loved Wolf as a kid, I transitioned to Doom and Duke Nuke 'Em as soon when they came out and pretty much forgot about the game.

When Wolf 3d came out for the iphone/touch, I thought to myself, "Oh cool. I remember that game." It was pretty cheap (I think 5 bucks at first?), but I really wasn't all that interested. The lite version came out (I believe after some big update), I picked it up, and man oh man was I hit by nostalgia. This was my f'ing childhood, this was 1992-3 (something like that), where I would come home and play at night instead of watching tv. This was something that meant a lot to me and I had completely forgotten about it for so long. It's like watching an old home movie and just suddenly remembering all those amazing things of your past that you've forgotten. It's actually a sad, bittersweet feeling.

The day after I picked up the lite version, the game dropped to $2. And I picked it up. And it was AMAZING, as the levels are all unlocked and you can play with cheats. I don't play this game everyday like I used to when I was a kid; in fact, I probably don't play it as much as I play other iphone games (still obsessed with Trism, Real Soccer, Chess with Friends, Galaxy on Fire, Crazy Snowboard, and especially the nongame Stanza) but there's something extra about Wolf.

The port is absolutely perfect. The controls, the noises, the texture smoothness, the number of levels... This is the only legitimate 5 star game I've played so far (and I've played a lot), and it is far far far superior to other "modern" games i.e. Assassin's Creed, Hero, Brothers, Fast and Furious, yadda yadda. Why? Because this game is perfect. There is not one improvement I could ever come up with; they should have iphone commercials JUST previewing and playing this game. I want MORE ports like this and with Myst (never a fan), Doom (holy crap), and other rumored games, I can see this amazing few weeks extended indefinitely.
05-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Yeah, it would be nice if all of the big games were a bit more spread out. I have only bought CJS so far of the big games as I am keeping to my £10 a month limit. I will just wait for some of the bigger games to go on sale before I buy them, it also gives me a chance to complete my current games and allows the games I am waiting for be improved through updates (hopefully) before I buy them. Perfect

Apple's sales must be rocketing by now. It would be nice to see their app sale figures for this year.

Hakuna Matata

Last edited by LBG; 05-07-2009 at 04:20 PM.

05-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Yeah, you're 100 % RIGHT.. So many new and amazing REAL games coming for the iPod Touch and iPhone! The Sims 3, Madden NFl 10, NBA Live 10, and Live Fire are coming out tooooo!! lol.. The first 3 are popular CONSOLE games!! The iPod/iPhone is really transitioning into a PSP or DS like handheld gaming device! lol

But I'm just mad because I want all these games (lol) and I have to spend so much money on them! lol... And i lose so much space.. But who cares lol!! I'm deleting a lot of my old games (ehem asphalt 4) .. lol... Cause I don't play them anymore...
05-07-2009, 05:17 PM
I just got an ipod touch last month and I've been amazed at all the activity... it seems like something really interesting comes out every other day - am I being spoiled by this month?

and just a little style advice qasim you might want to ask yourself if you absolutely needed to type "lol" six times in a five-line message
05-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by albtraum View Post
i just got an ipod touch last month and i've been amazed at all the activity... It seems like something really interesting comes out every other day - am i being spoiled by this month?

And just a little style advice qasim you might want to ask yourself if you absolutely needed to type "lol" six times in a five-line message
lol.

First game in progress...
05-07-2009, 05:26 PM
I'm still waiting for a few games to be released, such as iFighter, Stardefense, and Firemint Real Racing.
05-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Just to think that more potentially great games are about to be released...Toki Tori(a must buy), Return to Mysterious Island, Zenonia, Dexter, Sparta, Touch KO, and more. Who isnt gonna go broke?
05-07-2009, 05:32 PM
The appstore wiped out all of my itune credit so yea I'm "broke" in iTunes Credit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomdude View Post
...I vink you fail good sir. I don't vink vat yo get ze jok.
Proud Member of SAB
SAB Intelligence Officer
05-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedog View Post
Just to think that more potentially great games are about to be released...Toki Tori(a must buy), Return to Mysterious Island, Zenonia, Dexter, Sparta, Touch KO, and more. Who isnt gonna go broke?
Apple?

They must be making heaps of money from all of these new games.

Hakuna Matata
05-07-2009, 05:35 PM
They make way more than that. Maybe like a mountain of money is more like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomdude View Post
...I vink you fail good sir. I don't vink vat yo get ze jok.
Proud Member of SAB
SAB Intelligence Officer