★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Stencyl - iOS Game Creator

12-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Stencyl - iOS Game Creator

Once in a while, someone asks whether there are code-free or visual ways to rapidly make iOS games. Until recently, there's been only one viable choice, but that's changing as alternatives emerge.

Last week, I launched our iOS exporter for Stencyl, a 2D game creation toolset that lets you rapidly create games with or without code. Several games have hit the app store or are in review.

Inevitably, some ask me about the differences between Stencyl and what's out there today. Here are the big ones.

Higher up the power curve
Stencyl's learning curve is somewhat steeper, but deeper games can be made. As the App Store matures and the games get better, players demand more.

Different platform support
Stencyl exports to Flash and plans to close the gap with others by supporting Android and HTML5 next year. Although Flash has become a punching bag, a good game can still reach a million+ players and make thousands off of sponsorships. Several of ours have.

Works on both Mac & Windows
Although you can't directly test the real thing on Windows, through a cloud service that I made, we can spit back an IPA that you can install OTA on your device.

How can I learn more?

Visit our site to learn more. It's free to trial and develop your game out on your own time. Once you're ready to publish to the app store, it's $149/yr (+ 2 extra months for early adopters).

Let me know what you think and whether you've got any questions for me in the software itself or the technical details. About myself... I'm working solo on this at the moment. I used to do quite a bit of Java game development myself before moving last year to Flash games and this year to mobile.

Last edited by Jon914; 12-19-2011 at 12:35 PM.
12-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Looks like a solid tools , I will look deeper into this.

12-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Many would be tempted to discard this platform because of it sitting on top Flash, but there are still many types of games that can work suitably well on it, just as GameSalad can. You wouldn't try an open-world 3D sandbox game on it or a WoW clone, obviously. As for the high volume of low-quality titles bearing the GameSalad engine : don't blame the tool, blame the maker.
12-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghouls'R'us View Post
Many would be tempted to discard this platform because of it sitting on top Flash, but there are still many types of games that can work suitably well on it, just as GameSalad can. You wouldn't try an open-world 3D sandbox game on it or a WoW clone, obviously. As for the high volume of low-quality titles bearing the GameSalad engine : don't blame the tool, blame the maker.
Yep, you've hit the nail on the head with this.

Much like GameSalad, I ran into some challenges early on where the low quality of games led to a negative perception of the toolset - it's an ages old problem for any kind of tool that makes creation easier - whether it be games, video or art. As the game quality rises, so does the stature of the tool. Even Unity at one point, was derided as a toy, as odd as that may now sound.

(To clarify though, the iOS engine doesn't leverage Flash. It's a native Objective-C engine that uses Sparrow and Box2D. I found the Flash -> iOS exporter to be way too slow both in FPS and workflow. Why did I go with Sparrow instead of Cocos2D? I tend to float towards frameworks that are just about as nice as the #1 choice but let me get to work more closely with the project owner.)

Last edited by Jon914; 12-19-2011 at 06:00 PM.
12-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the post, I had not heard of StencylWorks before and looks to fit what I need out of a SDK at this time. And nice to see a Scratch-like programming interface being used, even with experienced programmers, it can get easy to be bogged down in the formalities of syntax and this removes much of that.

Will be trying the lite version very soon and likely register after paying with a bit.
12-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Interesting concept.
But where is the profit potential for the developer in this?

Last edited by Arty Tales; 12-22-2011 at 03:42 PM.
12-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Looks very interesting. Definitely will give it a try.
12-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty Tales View Post
Interesting concept.
But where is the profit potential for the developer in this?
Are you talking about me as in the developer of this or you, as the end-user developer?

For you, you can sell your game on the app store royalty-free and do pretty much anything a regular app can do. The only thing missing as of this moment are In-App Purchases, and I'm adding that in as we speak.
12-24-2011, 05:17 AM
Wow! I know that many coder may look down on tools like this, but for me as an 2d artist this is very exciting (especially in regard to flash games). The only games I could do all by myself up to now were tabletop. I will give stencyl a try.

Do you need a 2d artist?
http://www.hanka-design.com