GTA 3 Graphics modding guide (must see)!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dan007, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Dan007

Dan007 Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Russia
    #1 Dan007, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
    ENABLING A5 EFFECTS ON A4 DEVICES:
    All us Iphone 4 users (A4 chip) know how many graphical features were removed from GTA 3 in favor of a `performance boost`! These include:
    *No traffic lights
    *Low-res textures
    *No car lights
    *No night lights (including pole lights)
    *Basically no light effects AT ALL, not even the sun effects!
    *No shadows
    *No blood effects
    Did all these (apparently unnecessary) sacrifices give crispy, solid performance? NO!
    The game is still jittery and sometimes reaches unplayable framerates on iphone 4. Well, then why should we deal with much less pretty graphics if there is a way to enjoy this:
    [​IMG]
    By modding the gta3.set file.

INSTRUCTIONS:
    1. Download XVI32 (or any other hex editor you like)
    2. Download iExplorer (a program that lets you browse files on your iphone)
    3. Open iExplorer and connect your iphone 4 (with gta 3 installed) to your PC via USB.
    4. You should see a selection of catalogs of your iphone 4 in iExplorer. Under APPS, find gta3 (a folder with a name starting with com.rockstargames...). in that folder, open the `Documents` folder. There should be a gta3.set file there.
    5. Extract the file and open it with a hex editor (e.g. XVI32)
    6. Find the following registers to enable the effects:
    Register 0x67C is responsible for enabling \ disabling lighting effects (lights, lamps, flashing lights): 00 - off, 02 - on
    Register 0x678 is responsible for enabling \ disabling shadows under objects: 00 - off, 01 - on
    Register 0x676 is responsible for resolution... in Ipad 80 (HiRes), in DHD 19 (LowRes)"
    7. FOR DRAW DISTANCE:
    view distance varies gta3.set at offset 0x568. Here are all the levels are taken from the PC version, since the maximum

"66 66 E6", Maximum drawing distance
    "66 66 DE",
    "66 66 D6",
    "66 66 CE",
    "66 66 C6",
    "66 66 BE",
    "66 66 B6 ",
    " 66 66 AE ", Medium drawing distance (good compromise performance/quality)
    " 66 66 A6 ",
    " 66 66 9E ",
    " 66 66 96 "
    " 66 66 8E ",
    " 66 66 86 ",
    " CC CC 7C ",
    " CC CC 6C ",
    " CC CC 5C ",
    " CD CC 4C ". Minimum drawing disance
    " CC CC A4 " iOS A4 chipset drawing distance (some sort of custom value)
    8. Using the above instructions, edit the gta3.set file, and place it back in the Documents folder in iExplorer (replacing the old file). I found that medium draw distance, no shadows and all other effects enabled actually BOOSTS performance on the iphone 4 AND looks HEAPS better than the default preset Rockstar gave us.
    9. Open GTA 3 on your iphone, and go to options - controls - reset defaults
    10. Enjoy your much better looking and performing GTA 3!

IMPORTANT: you do NOT need to jailbreak or pirate the game in order to get these features!
    PRESET FILES:Preset gta3.set file (no shadows, lights, med. draw distance, better textures, blood etc.):gta3.set
    Another preset with MAX. Graphics settings (blood, shadows, max. draw distance, traffic lights): gta3.set MAX
    First preset file with enabled traffic lights and better blood (best preset so far/no FPS lost): gta3.set BEST
    UPDATE:For some bizarre reason, when shadows are turned off, traffic lights and blood get turned off as well. So if you are willing to sacrifice 2-3 FPS for those, enable shadows

COMING SOON: Custom vehicles guide + enabling Xbox vehicles for A4 devices!

2. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Well done Dan007!

3. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    #3 Madman100, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
    I think u forgot no tire skid marks.. This is partly the reason some people found the controls unresponsive as they hit the E break and ran head on into a wall.

And umm.. I think the game runs fine, just a minor crashing issue when memory gets too heavy. Is this recommended for iPod touch users? I can't help but call bull when u say it actually 'performs better'.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #4 squarezero, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2011
    Are the rules at TA really that hard? This is the the 6th thread I've had to move today, and I have to say that it's getting pretty tedious.

Is your thread about a new game? Put it the iPhone and iPod Touch Game section.

Is it about an existing game? Don't create a new thread; post your comment in the existing thread.

Is your information way too important for the thread? Get over yourself.

Is really, really too important for it to mingle with other folks comments? Create a new thread in the General Game Discussion section.

Can't understand these instructions? DON'T CREATE A NEW THREAD!

I know it happens by accident, but I can't help feeling that some folks don't care because "the mod will fix it." Well, we've got better things to do, like fend off the constant barrage of spam threads.

/Rant

This sounds neat. On the Mac you can access these files also with PhoneView.

5. Dan007

Dan007 Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Russia
    Sorry about that. I actually realized my mistake right after I posted the thread. :(
    This little trick worked flawlessly for me, so why not share it with such great forums with expansive community (and hard-working mods - that thread move was way too fast :D)

6. MKplayer1start

MKplayer1start Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Drywall & Drywall Taping
    Toronto
    I'm sure they were removed for a reason but interesting you found a way to turn the features back on. it has to run slower with the features on though

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Nothing personal -- I actually think the thread has great info. I guess I'm getting a little testy ;).

BTW, two minutes after I finished with this thread, I had to move another one :rolleyes:

8. Xapped

Xapped Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    #8 Xapped, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
    wow.. :eek:

Anyway, you can see that the A4 draw distance is slightly above CC CC 7C. It's different from the normal 66 66 XX - maybe reduced spawn rate or something?

[By the way, I seriously suggest EVERYONE to try it. I don't feel a FPS reduction at all.]

Also, Rockstar should have added AA as settings. We won't be able to run it, but in a few years when we got our iPhone 5Ses, we can come back to old games with better graphics.

9. FeNoMeN

FeNoMeN Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    can you explain better for us who dont know to work with hex editor?i use search but can find symbols that you post in first post...

10. ilStugots

ilStugots Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Cant wait for all the people to do this on their ancient iPod 2's then go write 1 star reviews because the game is unplayable.

11. arce

arce Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2010
    can you upload your files please?

12. Dan007

Dan007 Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Russia
    Check the bottom of the first post.
    To everyone: link to my gta3.set file is at the bottom of the first post. It won't necessarily guarantee you mind-blowing results, but it's the preset I found works best for me.

13. arce

arce Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2010
    ok thanks

14. 12yam

12yam Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Toronto
    #14 12yam, Dec 20, 2011
    Any alternative to iexplorer? I don't want to pay 5 bucks for it...

EDIT: nvm, i feel like an idiot. You weren't talking about the iPod app "iexplorer", were you?

15. Xapped

Xapped Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    No, the PC app.

16. 12yam

12yam Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Toronto
    OMG this works so well on my 4th gen iPod!!!!! THANK YOU!!! Framerate's taken a little hit...but the draw distance and textures make up for that in a HUGE way! BTW, i used the preset, so better textures, shadows, a bit of lighting effects, and better draw distance. but no blood.

I'm just curious though, if an update is released would I have to mod it again?

I'm kind of a noob, so sorry :p

17. Dan007

Dan007 Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Russia
    #17 Dan007, Dec 20, 2011
    Im afraid you would have to mod it again since with the update you would also download the gta3.set file, and all the modded features would be reset
    UPDATE: Another gta3.set file has been uploaded (link at the bottom of first post), which is basically gives you graphics identical to the IP 4S and Ipad 2 versions. Framerate takes a little hit, but the game has even more effects like blood and max draw distance.
    For some bizarre reason, when shadows are turned off, traffic lights and blood get turned off as well. So if you are willing to sacrifice 2-3 FPS for those, enable shadows (instruction at the first post :D)

18. arce

arce Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2010
    working perfect on my iphone 4

19. electroman12

electroman12 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Help! I do not know how to work the hex editor :( I do not see a 0x67C / how do I work this- do I use the 0 on the left column? But then where do I find the 67C? Thanks!

20. 12yam

12yam Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Toronto
    Dan007 did a really good job with his presets. I'd suggest you skip the hex editor and use his.