Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-20-2011, 04:56 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

I can understand someone being bold coming out with a great new innovative control scheme BUT i would be on the safe side and add some ALT controls to suit most people.

I bought that DRACO yesterday, would be a great shooter but i didnt realise it was tilt controls only (doh!) so a bit of a waste for me as i'm anti-tilt.

But anyway back to this one, looking forward to seeing a gameplay video
Old 12-20-2011, 04:57 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Absolutely gorgeous. I can't wait to see a gameplay video.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:09 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

I don't understand why people hate tilt and swipe controls so much. Tero just had a new update that brought virtual controls and guess what? I'm still using tilt&swipe! There are some platformers like Tero and Art Penguin that work well with swipe and tilt controls and that new platformer LostWinds also looks like it'll do a good job with the controls it has chosen. If the platformer is a speedrunner, of course it needs virtual d-pad, but different platformers work well with tilt and swipe.

Just my $0.02 or whatever.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:15 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Fair enough, its just what you're used to. Back in the day some people loved playing games with joysticks, i always preferred the keyboard.

When it comes to shoot em ups i much prefer on screen buttons rather than tilt. Same for platform games on the whole. I just prefer playing games with buttons rather than tilting my ipod if i'm sat waiting for a bus etc. Yep Air Penguin is 100% a great tilt game, theres a fair few games which dont work well with tilt

For me I prefer buttons when it comes to platformers (or at least the option so it pleases the tilt brigade or the button brigade).
Old 12-20-2011, 09:09 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Send a message via AIM to russiaone

Looks beautiful. I REALLY hope the control scheme is as beautiful as the video, though.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:19 AM

Looks fantastic, eager to learn more!
Old 12-20-2011, 10:55 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Fair enough, its just what you're used to. Back in the day some people loved playing games with joysticks, i always preferred the keyboard.

When it comes to shoot em ups i much prefer on screen buttons rather than tilt. Same for platform games on the whole. I just prefer playing games with buttons rather than tilting my ipod if i'm sat waiting for a bus etc. Yep Air Penguin is 100% a great tilt game, theres a fair few games which dont work well with tilt

For me I prefer buttons when it comes to platformers (or at least the option so it pleases the tilt brigade or the button brigade).
Of course I like buttons more, just pointed out there are games that can work well with tilt or swipe. And by the way, I meant Art Penguin, small gesture game Air Penguin is awesome with tilt though.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLavi View Post
Of course I like buttons more, just pointed out there are games that can work well with tilt or swipe. And by the way, I meant Art Penguin, small gesture game Air Penguin is awesome with tilt though.
Yeah, but Air Penguin is built specifically for tilt. I think at this time, platformers still perform the best with buttons. Again, it does come down to what you're used to.

I will say this, games that have tilt don't need it and games that don't have tilt could benefit from it. But this is subjective to say the least.

Personally, I just want the option to switch from the default controls if needed. And when it comes to shooters, i just want the option to move the buttons around because my gameplay style is super finicky.

Anyways, I hope the style is fine. They definitely have a lot of reference as far as what works and what doesn't. So, hopefully that knowledge is put to good use for a groundbreaking control scheme.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:37 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

That trailer was showing ingame graphics, not concept CG, right?
Old 12-20-2011, 03:45 PM

Thanks everyone for the kind reply's! Really means a lot to us

Controls
About the controls I can say one thing: You don't have to feel nervous about it.

As said before, the game is completely build around its controls and we are extremely picky when it comes down to controls. Especially for games on a touchscreen device - it really makes or breaks a game in our opinion.

Of course it's always tricky when you are doing something new. The question always remains if your idea actually works and even if it's the best control scheme ever, there always will be small bumps on the road for people to adapt, but they'll get used to good controls pretty quick. Being an iOS gamer myself since the beginning, I can say with full confidence that our "Flow Motion Control" control scheme is actually the best way to play our game. It really gives the player so much more freedom and it truly delivers a unique experience we've not seen before on the Appstore.

That doesn't mean we're rejecting input from outside our team. If there's even a slight chance that people are struggling with the controls when we're hitting BETA, we'll be definitely looking for alternatives.

Heroki
One thing we find very important is the credibility of a character and the way he reacts to other characters and objects in the world. Heroki can perform all sorts of different actions and it's really fun to play with him. That's something that we really wanted to integrate in our game. We really want to make Heroki as lively as possible, that's really important to us.

@Arta, The trailer is 100% in-game, captured from an actual iPhone.

We're hoping to update you guys soon in this topic since there will be a lot more to show!

Last edited by Picomy; 01-04-2012 at 06:14 AM..