★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: USM
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 288.0 MB
  • Version: 2.1
  • Price: $2.99
  • Average User Rating: 4.5 (2)
App description: *** Special price for all USM board game apps ***

The Wars of the Roses for the crown of England have started again: The strategy game classic is available for iPhone and iPad!

England, in the 15th century: The house of York, bearing the white rose in their coat of arms, and the house of Lancaster with the red rose struggle for the kingship. Only the best strategists will emerge victorious from the Wars of the Roses

Play your might cards deliberately to gain control over large, connected areas. The cunning use of your heroes will foil your opponents plans and bring the crown within your reach!

Wars of the Roses rules are simple; a comprehensive guide will get both beginners and board game veterans into the game quickly. The game is exciting at any time, because even the last moves of the game can make the difference between victory and defeat.

Wars of the Roses can be played against computer-controlled opponents, or with friends via hot seat multiplayer, or via Bluetooth or on the internet via Game Center.

Compete with other players through online leaderboards and achievements via Game Center, or replay historic battles in the challenging campaign mode for one player!

Features:

The classic strategy game with high resolution graphics in an atmospheric presentation

Universal app for both iPhone and iPad

Challenging AI opponents in 3 difficulty settings; campaign with a variety of scenarios

Various multiplayer modes: hot seat, Bluetooth, or online via Game Center

Comprehensive introduction to the rules

Leaderboards and achievements accessible via Game Center

(Online multiplayer, leaderboards and achievements require to access the Apple Game Center and therefore will not be available on older devices. If you would like to use these features, please make sure your device and iOS version support Game Center. However, the game is also playable without them, of course.)

Questions or suggestions for improvements:
Mail to ios@usm.de
We are looking forward to your feedback!

Please do not ask your questions in the reviews as we do not have the possibility to respond to you there.

For more information on news and updates:
www.usmgames.com
or visit us on www.facebook.com/UnitedSoftMedia and twitter.com/USM_News

12-19-2011, 09:26 PM
This is the game now known as Richard III, correct? I believe it is only for two players. Probably going to pick it up though...looks pretty excellent and I assume that it has asynchronous multiplayer...

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms

12-20-2011, 10:38 AM
With all of the big releases out, it's not too surprising that this isn't getting any attention. I bought it, and I think it's a lot of fun. It really fits the old cliche of "easy to learn, hard to master". I picked up the rules almost immediately, then proceeded to lose my first two matches against the easy AI. I won my third, but it was still close. This has multiple AI levels, plus a campaign single player mode. I haven't tried the GC multiplayer yet, but it's there. It's a well designed, polished app. Here is the link to the physical game for those interested:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...s-of-the-roses

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
12-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Does it have asyncronous multiplayer (like in Carcassonne)?
12-20-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm really confused. This looks far more abstract than the game at BGG. I really like how this looks! Can somebody help clear the confusion?
12-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
I'm really confused. This looks far more abstract than the game at BGG. I really like how this looks! Can somebody help clear the confusion?
Not having played the physical version, I'm not really able to compare. All I can say is that I wouldn't really call it abstract. It almost compares to checkers believe it or not! Obviously, there is a lot more involved, but I'm serious when I say that the basic rules can be picked up in about 5 minutes. The mechanics are really simple. I'm sure strategy could get quite deep, but that would come with time.

Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
12-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Does it play like checkers? If so, I'm a bit dissapointed. Was kind of intrigued by the looks of this game
12-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractalrock View Post
Does it play like checkers? If so, I'm a bit dissapointed. Was kind of intrigued by the looks of this game
I think you're kind of missing the point...the mechanics are a bit like checkers. Moving pieces forward, backward, diagonal, etc., but the gameplay is more complex.

12-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractalrock View Post
I don't think so. It looks more like Go actually, or Blokus, a territory control game. I have Ingenious and Keltis from the same developer, and both are very good.
12-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Huh, where are Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner?

Just kidding. Might have to read up on this as I'm not familiar with the board game. Like to know what makes it more complicated/interesting than checkers since that's all you really get from the screenshots.