★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Akzara for Toddlers, winner of Startup Weekend Surabaya (Indonesia) available now!

12-20-2011, 02:25 AM
Akzara for Toddlers, winner of Startup Weekend Surabaya (Indonesia) available now!

Hi guys,

After winning a Startup Weekend event in Surabaya (Indonesia) last October, we're finally able to finalize the iPad app that we create especially for toddlers to play and learn the alphabets.

Akzara offers daily parental reports that parents can use to gain insights on how their toddlers are learning while playing the app.

Here's a video of my 2-yr old son playing Akzara:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Please check the app out, guys!

My latest review: Hearthstone for iPad

Last edited by epramono; 12-20-2011 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Fix the YouTube URL
12-25-2011, 04:02 AM
Short History of the Parent Zone feature

I am a father of two sons Ė the eldest is still 2 years old. Iíve been involved in the software development for a long time, and been focusing on the iOS platform over the past year. When the iPad 2 is released, I bought one for my son. I think itís a wonderful learning media for him. I install a lot of different apps for him to play and learn, but thereís been always this problem thatís itching me.

Each time I come home from work, I know that heís been playing with the iPad, but I donít know how heís been progressing. Is he learning anything new today? What kind of problems is he dealing with today? How should I focus the apps that I install to suit his needs and interests? I find these questions to be very hard to answer. I believe apps should be smart. Not only fun and educational, but also smart. They should be able to provide daily reports to the parents so that they can learn how their children have been progressing throughout the day.

Thatís what we are trying to do with Akzara. Itís an iPad app that helps toddlers to learn the alphabets, while at the same time produces daily insightful reports for the parents. We think this is a good improvement towards a stronger relationship and involvement from the parents towards their toddlersí learning activities.

A Real Example

As you can see in the attached screenshot, thatís what my eldest son, Philip, has been progressing through the app. There are a lot of things that you can learn from this report. Here are some examples:
  • On the 22nd, Philip played for approx. 25 minutes. He seemed to have a long pause (for 9 minutes) on Hippo. Using this report I know that he must have left the iPad to go somewhere else and returned after 9 minutes. (This is something that he usually does).
  • Philip played 10 puzzles (starting from A Ė Ant to J Ė Jellyfish). Akzara remembers the last puzzle that you play that day Ė so that you wonít have to restart from A again, but we reset that to A again at the start of the day.
  • From Dec 17th, there are days where Philip does not play with Akzara. This is normal, because I install a lot of apps on the iPad.
  • Philip is able to solve 3 puzzles perfectly Ė within his first attempt. One of them is Ant. The other two could possibly be Butterfly, Fish, Impala or Jellyfish.

The Future

We are continually working on improving our parental reports, and we appreciate your feedback on how your toddlers are playing Akzara and how you use the Parent Zone to gain insights on your toddlers learning improvement. If you think there are other parents who may benefit from our Parent Zone reports, youíre welcome to share this post with them Ė so that they may have Akzara for their toddlers as well.

Our Latest Demo Video

Please check 'em out and let us know what you think.

Youtube link | Pop Up

My latest review: Hearthstone for iPad