Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-07-2012, 04:26 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by eAdvisory View Post
Stupidest comment ive read on this thread so far. ANYWAY

this game looks amazing and can't wait for the US release
That's a tad aggressive mate, the meat and potatoes of my comment is much the same as yours, When is it available in my territory? I fail to see why this is a stupid comment.

Unless it was the the redcoats thingy? In which case I'm sorry your still dealing with our little to do a few hundred years ago.

But back to the subject, how long is the server testing in Canada usually?
Old 01-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by devensega View Post
That's a tad aggressive mate, the meat and potatoes of my comment is much the same as yours, When is it available in my territory? I fail to see why this is a stupid comment.

Unless it was the the redcoats thingy? In which case I'm sorry your still dealing with our little to do a few hundred years ago.

But back to the subject, how long is the server testing in Canada usually?
It just makes me laugh to see what some people say. Could be obsurd or intelligent, i didnt mean to strike a nerve with you.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:18 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by eAdvisory View Post
It just makes me laugh to see what some people say. Could be obsurd or intelligent, i didnt mean to strike a nerve with you.
Heh, nay bother then mate. Do anyone know if this will get a simultaneous worldwide release after the Canada run?

Also, any Canadians out there to give us impressions?
Old 01-11-2012, 02:18 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Default Game Impressions

So it's out worldwide and I think it can be described as a neat game with an absurd amount of in game purchases.

It's a complex game so you are better off watching the trailers for an idea on how it plays but it's a pretty cool mix of turn based tactical combat/chess and getting the units, spells and equipment in your team at random. Sadly there's no single player and online games can take a loooooong time so be ready to wait around for your turn unless you are willing to enter two dozen games or so at the same time.

Worse still there's fullscreen, 5 second ads every single time you submit a turn in combat PLUS banner ads in the game's lobby as well unless you buy the elf team for 99c.

It wouldn't be so bad but when you consider that picking your team color, ingame avatars, buying "taunts" that you actually use up when you activate them and the black elf team all cost from 99c to 4 dollars it just gets a bit ridiculous.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:28 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Send a message via Yahoo to reec0X Send a message via Skype™ to reec0X

Hey guys, its already release! downloaded now...
Old 01-11-2012, 04:37 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detrian View Post
It wouldn't be so bad but when you consider that picking your team color, ingame avatars, buying "taunts" that you actually use up when you activate them and the black elf team all cost from 99c to 4 dollars it just gets a bit ridiculous.
Actually, buying a second team for 99c, and thus getting an asynchronous online game with all the game content for just one dollar, is not at all ridiculous, but very generous.

Furthermore, paying a dollar for five more avatars, or one dollar to be able to customize your team's colors, sounds to me like a nice compromise, one that users who really enjoy the game can afford and that will provide some small additional enjoyment from the personification of your team, but that will also garner the devs some profit from an otherwise nearly free game.

But yeah, some of the customization and taunt IAP are (comparably, iOS-wise) off-the-chart, galopping, batshit insane. If I've understood the purchase options correctly, the Elite pack only contains one portrait, and costs 3 dollars. And to pay for taunts, one-time use items that simply makes your team shout at the enemy? I want these fellas to make money off this title, but those comes across as both desperate and redundant.

Luckily, customization is not required to in any way enjoy the game or access game content and functions, and since buying the Dark Elf Team for one dollar removes all ads, I'd still deem the IAP scheme nearly completely optional, generous content-wise, and a success for both users and devs.

For those looking for impressions on the game itself, I'd summarize it as simple unit-based tactics with randomized elements, and some nice touches (action points determine how much you as a commander can do in one round, special tiles on the board give you advantages when stepped upon, and you can cast spells and have your units equip weapons and armor), pretty graphics and UI, good help functions (you can basically get help on any unit or button on the screen), but like most asynchronous iOS games, sadly no sense of persistence or progression (games are just random matches, with no permanently improved stats, no mechanics that allow you to spend winnings from matches, etc).

All in all, a very accessible and cute asynchronous title, with little depth to compare to async giants such as Starbase Orion or Carcassonne (or even UniWar), but still with plenty of replayability and enough tactical depth to keep games varied, new teams on the way, and with a touch of that indefinable but unmistakeable sensation that just one more turn before bedtime would be a good idea...

Last edited by Ayjona; 01-11-2012 at 04:41 AM..
Old 01-11-2012, 05:51 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
Actually, buying a second team for 99c, and thus getting an asynchronous online game with all the game content for just one dollar, is not at all ridiculous, but very generous.

Furthermore, paying a dollar for five more avatars, or one dollar to be able to customize your team's colors, sounds to me like a nice compromise, one that users who really enjoy the game can afford and that will provide some small additional enjoyment from the personification of your team, but that will also garner the devs some profit from an otherwise nearly free game.

But yeah, some of the customization and taunt IAP are (comparably, iOS-wise) off-the-chart, galopping, batshit insane. If I've understood the purchase options correctly, the Elite pack only contains one portrait, and costs 3 dollars. And to pay for taunts, one-time use items that simply makes your team shout at the enemy? I want these fellas to make money off this title, but those comes across as both desperate and redundant.

Luckily, customization is not required to in any way enjoy the game or access game content and functions, and since buying the Dark Elf Team for one dollar removes all ads, I'd still deem the IAP scheme nearly completely optional, generous content-wise, and a success for both users and devs.

For those looking for impressions on the game itself, I'd summarize it as simple unit-based tactics with randomized elements, and some nice touches (action points determine how much you as a commander can do in one round, special tiles on the board give you advantages when stepped upon, and you can cast spells and have your units equip weapons and armor), pretty graphics and UI, good help functions (you can basically get help on any unit or button on the screen), but like most asynchronous iOS games, sadly no sense of persistence or progression (games are just random matches, with no permanently improved stats, no mechanics that allow you to spend winnings from matches, etc).

All in all, a very accessible and cute asynchronous title, with little depth to compare to async giants such as Starbase Orion or Carcassonne (or even UniWar), but still with plenty of replayability and enough tactical depth to keep games varied, new teams on the way, and with a touch of that indefinable but unmistakeable sensation that just one more turn before bedtime would be a good idea...

THANKS! Finally some useful info.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:11 AM

Default Game Impressions

the round need a time out, atm not funny
Old 01-11-2012, 08:22 AM

so sick of free games with loads of IAPs... better sell the game for 2 bucks without those stupid IAPs...
I just gave it a fast try but it seems there's only 1 map so far?
Will new maps be free or IAPs again... ?
Old 01-11-2012, 08:51 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDjax View Post
so sick of free games with loads of IAPs... better sell the game for 2 bucks without those stupid IAPs...
I just gave it a fast try but it seems there's only 1 map so far?
Will new maps be free or IAPs again... ?
You should have given it a longer try Maps are rotated and randomized, and there are more than one.

To reiterate: there are no caps or limitations on gameplay. The only IAP that gives additional content is the one dollar army purchase that adds another army. All other IAP are for visual customization only.

If you purchase the second army and thus remove the ads, you ARE getting a full game for one dollar. Had the game been ridden with IAP that provides advantages or expands the gameplay, then your argument would have carried weight. But for a game that you CAN purchase for one dollar (or just play for free without limitations), and all other IAP are only for personal customization of colors and portraits, the IAP are of absolutely NO consequence for those not interested in visual customization.

We need to separate harmless IAP from the more intricate and annoying freemium schemes. Hero Academy is essentially a lite version that can be purchased from within the game for one dollar.

The game does a splendid job of not locking gameplay away behind IAP doors or time limitations, unlike the latest Gameloft titles, and follows the principle that IAP only yields visual changes, no in-game advantages (unless you consider the additional army an in-game advantage, but since the two armies are balanced against each other, the IAP only represents more content).

I am glad the game is freemium-based, as it allows me to bring all my cheap friends on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
THANKS! Finally some useful info.
Hopes it brings ya onboard for some casual async fun If Robot Entertainment supports the game well, and provides additional progression and persistence beyond just running random matches (what the devs of Disc Drivin' failed to do), I could well see it become the most popular accessible and simple async title for the platform, far ahead of Poker Pals, Disc Drivin', UniWar and the likes (but never a replacement for Starbase Orion, Carcassonne, and the promise of future titans such as Ravenmark, Neuroshima Hex, the ever-fleeting dream of an asynchronous Civilization IV, etc ).

Last edited by Ayjona; 01-11-2012 at 02:25 PM..