Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-20-2011, 02:24 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Send a message via AIM to russiaone

Hmmm, just bought this, but since I'm ofttimes given to extreme bouts of hyperbole I won't say too much for now.

What I will say is that this is, undoubtedly, a SPECTACULAR-looking game. Though I've yet to get my hands on the PS Vita's Little Deviants, this looks a lot like it.

Anyway, besides it being absolutely gorgeous, the music is jazzy (the way I like it), the tilt controls are really, really nice (kind of a throwback to simpler app store times).

From what I gleaned from the tutorial polish is the name of the game here. The main guy is cute and moves nimbly. What I didn't expect was the freedom to move wherever I want. The game is on a set-path, but it's not like you're being pushed forward. There is room for exploration, which is nice.

I haven't done anything more than the tut, but just wanted to share some really early impressions. The game runs mighty fine on my old iPhone 4. It's really pretty impressive.

Oh, the combat is nice. I like that it's dynamic, too, allowing for the use of traps, combos, etc.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:25 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyJmaster. View Post
I thought everything that was scheduled to release will release? Devs just can't submit anything for a week. I mean, I really don't know.
You misquoted me...
Old 12-20-2011, 02:32 PM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Alright, so essentially, this is a ball-roller game...except your ball can jump and fight...as if that's not cool enough, there are so many little things in this game to love. Little nuances such as enemies laughing at their "fallen" buddies when you throw them into each other, they fight and one of them is sent off a cliff. Things like watching a plethora of bad guys essentially turn into pinballs as they hit into spiked poles and start flying around the area, bumping into each other, traps, and setting off TNT barrels.

I can see how the game is 10 hours + as there are no IAPs and the final area needs 80 coins to unlock. I've played for an hour, right? Yep, 6 coins. This is going to take a while. Like squarezero said though, progression will tell if the level design holds up and I have no idea if the game will start feeling repetitive any time soon. The instant I say "Alright, this is dragging on a little bit", the game throws something new at me such as a QTE or evading rolling boulders.

Like I said, no IAPs, solid level design, universal, iCloud, Retina and only 120-something MBs for 2 bucks. I could go on and on, but seriously, I need to play more of this.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlejumper View Post
You misquoted me...
lol sorry

/faceplam
Old 12-20-2011, 02:37 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
Alright, so essentially, this is a ball-roller game...except your ball can jump and fight...as if that's not cool enough, there are so many little things in this game to love. Little nuances such as enemies laughing at their "fallen" buddies when you throw them into each other, they fight and one of them is sent off a cliff. Things like watching a plethora of bad guys essentially turn into pinballs as they hit into spiked poles and start flying around the area, bumping into each other, traps, and setting off TNT barrels.

I can see how the game is 10 hours + as there are no IAPs and the final area needs 80 coins to unlock. I've played for an hour, right? Yep, 6 coins. This is going to take a while. Like squarezero said though, progression will tell if the level design holds up and I have no idea if the game will start feeling repetitive any time soon. The instant I say "Alright, this is dragging on a little bit", the game throws something new at me such as a QTE or evading rolling boulders.

Like I said, no IAPs, solid level design, universal, iCloud, Retina and only 120-something MBs for 2 bucks. I could go on and on, but seriously, I need to play more of this.
Nice! I was far less optimistic until I read the last two impressions. Based on the video I would have thought this was a 3rd-person endless runner with some quick-time mini-games thrown in.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:14 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

This gives me the jAggy Race creeeps... Bought
Old 12-20-2011, 03:30 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Send a message via AIM to russiaone

OK, back with further impressions.

The game keeps throwing new stuff at you, from enemies, to weapons, to TNT crates, to quick time events- it's really quite brilliant. One thing though: I wish the camera panned back a little when I used my bubble gum jump. (Man, a bubble gum jump. How cool is that. And believe me you, it is definitely cool)

This must be said: the tilt-to-move controls in this game are beyond amazing. It calibrates before EVERY level begins. It's so damn intuitive. You roll, you punch, you kick, you stop on a dime. It's BRILLIANT!

I'm getting a REALLY good Rayman Origins/Little Deviants vibe here. This is really and truly a bonafide platformer for the ages on iOS.

Oh, and the graphics are DAMN great.

Sega needs to contact the devs of this game and ask them to implement the tilt controls in Monkey Ball. So damn good they are.

I don't finish many iOS games these days, but this baby will be completed in due time. I applaud these devs for putting out a HIGHLY-polished, UTTERLY-playable, REALLY funny game. I'm in love. TouchArcade, this sucker needs to be front-page pronto.

Last edited by russiaone; 12-20-2011 at 03:39 PM..
Old 12-20-2011, 03:38 PM
iPad mini 2

Default Game Impressions

I really enjoy this one. Normally I stay clear of tilt-based gaming and I dislike Super Monkey Ball. And this one smells of both thing, but is great. The controls are super precise. The enemies are good fun and the graphics look like something pulled out of a Super Mario Galaxy-game (well almost). Clever level design and good variation helps this to stay for a long time on my iPad. Recommended!
Old 12-20-2011, 03:39 PM

Did anybody else get randomly teleported in the first level?

To the dev this game is begging for some GC achievements. Surprised that there weren't any given all the other supported features. Maybe in a future update?

Well, since I agree with pretty much all the previous impressions, I'll do a super quick impression and just focus on my review.

The game is tilt based and done very, very, very well. It's definitely one of the best tilt experiences I've played with. You don't hold the device flat because it's not fully top down; you hold it at an angle and it just feels good/natural.

You will pretty much be trying to get to the end of each level while collecting gems, smashing crates, avoiding traps, going over obstacles, and laying a smack down on some mushroom baddies. Again, everything is fluid because your tilting to move, so you have the whole left side of the screen to attack and the whole right side of the screen to jump.

Overall, the game is hella fun and sorta gives me PS2 flashbacks. I'll definitely need more time with this bad boy.

Definitely worth the buy!

Last edited by GoofyJmaster.; 12-20-2011 at 05:01 PM..
Old 12-20-2011, 04:05 PM

i dont have money anymore!!! D: i wanted to buy this!!! D: