Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-21-2011, 09:32 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Mystery of the Japanese Werewolf

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by strivemind; 12-22-2011 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: New trailer, changed at dev's request
Old 12-21-2011, 09:37 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

That app description...why must I give in to it? Bought...impressions in a bit.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:57 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Alright, someone else please buy this...the controls are...well, we'll discuss them....but someone please, please, please get this. DUDE! THIS IS AWESOME!
Old 12-21-2011, 10:03 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

The video looks alright but I keep looking at the screenshots and just can't figure out how the controls must work. Intriguing.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:11 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Doh ! I love the look of the game, looks great BUT its those controls, why oh why do people try and be clever and do something different ?

"Every platformer on the App Store claims to have the best controls to ever hit a touch screen. "

Well this certainly doesnt seem to. I presume if you press left and then right at the same time you'll jump ? Horrible. Why oh why dont they have the usual left/right next to each other in the corner

If the controls were 'normal' i would buy this in a split second, but i think theyve tried to be too clever and its backfired badly. Why dont people just concentrate on the game/levels and use a trusted approach to controls which has worked in plenty of platform games in the app store. Its like that one platform game (name escapes) which would be great BUT the nav buttons are halfway up the screen instead of the bottom left, just ruins it.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:15 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Doh ! I love the look of the game, looks great BUT its those controls, why oh why do people try and be clever and do something different ?

"Every platformer on the App Store claims to have the best controls to ever hit a touch screen. "

Well this certainly doesnt seem to. I presume if you press left and then right at the same time you'll jump ? Horrible. Why oh why dont they have the usual left/right next to each other in the corner

If the controls were 'normal' i would buy this in a split second, but i think theyve tried to be too clever and its backfired badly. Why dont people just concentrate on the game/levels and use a trusted approach to controls which has worked in plenty of platform games in the app store. Its like that one platform game (name escapes) which would be great BUT the nav buttons are halfway up the screen instead of the bottom left, just ruins it.
Look at all the screenshots. The button arrows change in different ones. So it isn't that simple. Perhaps the game is programmed to read your mind and conveniently places the right button under your thumb? Now that would be something.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:18 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Waiting for gameplay impressions...

Last edited by undeadcow; 12-21-2011 at 10:22 AM..
Old 12-21-2011, 10:20 AM

Despite the rant i thought sod it and bought it as its only 69p (!!)...

Yeah the controls are how i thought they would be. Press one direction eg right, if i then press left at the same time i jump.

Its 'meant' to simulate a NES controller ? A NES controller was basically left/right/up/down all next to each other not a left button on one side of the controller and a right button on the far side !

Graphically i love it as its very NES based, at the begining theres a few unskippable 'cut scenes' which sets the story.

1 bit Ninja was 'similar' when it came to movement(DONT worry there is a left button though . Press the left hand side of the screen to move and then press the right hand side at the same time to jump in 1 bit ninja.

Okay typing this as i'm playing it for the first time. Yep these cutscenes are annoying me, cant zip past them and theres a fair few. Ha ha just found a superb typo.

The name of your character as shes 'talking' it says...

NAMELESS HEROIN: ready for adventure

It should be heroine not spelt like the drug heroin !!!

Right after about 3 minutes of tapping the page to move on through the story about this drug user, i mean heroine , oh god theres more ! I'm now expecting her to meet her friends Ecstasy, Cannabis and MDMA.

Anyway moving on. Theres a funny in game joke where it tells you how to move in the game and even the character says 'wow thats weird' and the 'narrator' says no its easy to use etc. Anyway i'm onto the first real level, yeah you get used to the buttons but theyre not ideal by any stretch.

The game could be great with the right controls, graphically it looks great for retro fans, shame you cant skip all the talking as thats a right pain though

Has promise but its a pain with those cutscenes (Dont want to turn this game off as if i try again i might have to watch all the non-skippable cut scenes again ! Edit - just tried it and it saved my progress when i quit so that was good) and the weird controls its not ideal. If they added standard controls, a way to skip the intros it would be well worth the money. I was getting 'slightly' used to the controls but i kept going backwards the odd time forgetting to press the combination. Has promise but could have been so much better

Last edited by psj3809; 12-21-2011 at 10:30 AM..
Old 12-21-2011, 10:21 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Guys, yeah...if you're walking left, the right button turns into jump and vice versa. It works though. That being said, the game would be better off with traditional left/right + jump buttons and I hope the dev is around somewhere to take note.

All that being said, ****, this may be an even bigger surprise release than Crazy Hedgy was. I urge you to check this out. Seriously!
Old 12-21-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
That's a pretty venomous scathing critique from someone who hasn't even played the game. I'll probably nab this one but am looking forward to impressions from metalcasket, who will post based on actualy gameplay time.
Make sure you attack everyone who moans about IAP's in various games then as lots of people havent even tried those games. Look at all the negativity for Dungeon Hunter III before it was out ? You get an initial impression about a game before you try it, sometimes you're wrong othertimes you're not.

Just wish this had the choice of standard controls. Still dont know why they try and be clever and add different controls which arent ideal.

Last edited by psj3809; 12-21-2011 at 10:28 AM..