★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: SEGA
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 178.0 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: $2.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: The sequel fans have waited for is finally here - Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Episode I!

Featuring enhanced gameplay elements, including the classic Sonic Spin Dash, and the versatile Homing Attack, Sonic 4 picks up right where Sonic and Knuckles left off.

NEW MOVES
All of Sonic's classic moves are available, including the newer Homing Attack which will add a new level of control and excitement.

CLASSIC SONIC STAGES
Race through 4 unique zones containing 4 acts each as well as 7 special stages.

SPECIAL STAGES RETURN
A staple of the Genesis-era games, the special stages return allowing fans to collect the 7 Chaos Emeralds and unlock Super Sonic.

NOW IN HD!!!
Experience Episode I with stunning HD resoultion graphics for your iPad devices!

¬¬
GamePro - this looks and feels like a genuine Sonic game, deserving of the "4" attached to its title.
IGN After an afternoon in its presence it's become seared in our conscience just like the classic levels of the early Sonics and surely that's reason enough to have faith in Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

** CHECK OUT THESE OTHER GREAT GAMES! **
Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing
Samurai Bloodshow
Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2
Sonic The Hedgehog 1 & 2
Football Manager 2011

GIFT THIS APP: Click the Buy App arrow on the iTunes® App Store

Be the first to know! Get inside SEGA info on great deals, plus the latest game updates, tips & more
FOLLOW US: twitter.com/sega
LIKE US: facebook.com/sega
VISIT US: http://blogs.sega.com/

Ghouls'R'us's comments:
First App Store review mentions crippling lag in this one. At least now we can see this game in its proper resolution, even before iPhone owners.

iPad only. This game is NOT Universal.

12-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghouls'R'us View Post
At least now we can see this game in its proper definition, even before iPhone owners.
Euhhh, the iphone had this a loooong time ago like the beginning of this year!
So actually, the ipad version is very far behind the iphone version.

...........................GC: k1llyb1lly.......................

12-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by killy billy View Post
Euhhh, the iphone had this a loooong time ago like the beginning of this year!
So actually, the ipad version is very far behind the iphone version.
Yeah, I meant resolution. Brainfart. AFAIK iPhone version still isn't fully Retina-enabled.
12-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Whatever happened to Episode 2? Not that I really care much. I didn't like episode 1 much even on a console, so I'm not really looking that forward to Episode 2. Just curious if they have abandoned the idea. The release of this maybe means they haven't, but I'm not sure.
12-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Well I grabbed this earlier today and can honestly say that its far better than the awful iPhone version. HD visuals are proper gorgeous! And no lag/framerate issues for me on iPad 2.

With the utterly sublime Sonic CD and now this, I've got my Sonic fix sorted and I'm happy.

Hall of Fame:
1. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP 2. Machinarium 3. Limbo 4. World of Goo 5. Ridiculous Fishing: A Tale of Redemption 6. Home 7. Rayman Jungle Run 8. Space Miner: Space Ore Bust 9. Rage HD 10. 1-Bit Ninja
12-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
Whatever happened to Episode 2? Not that I really care much. I didn't like episode 1 much even on a console, so I'm not really looking that forward to Episode 2. Just curious if they have abandoned the idea. The release of this maybe means they haven't, but I'm not sure.
There's no Episode 2 as yet, but I'm pretty sure it's due in 2012..?!?

Hall of Fame:
1. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP 2. Machinarium 3. Limbo 4. World of Goo 5. Ridiculous Fishing: A Tale of Redemption 6. Home 7. Rayman Jungle Run 8. Space Miner: Space Ore Bust 9. Rage HD 10. 1-Bit Ninja
12-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Goddammit! No flip screen means this game is upside-down on my iPad 1. Sigh. Deleted.
12-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Thankfully, the default orientation, with the speaker in the upper corner, corresponds to my personal preference.

The game looks beautiful and sharp. The problem is, on my first gen iPad, the framerate is barely adequate. It give me serious strain trying to scan the screen and understand what is going on.

The Rush-like physics do piss-off old-time players, but I actually find them suitable once I shift my expectations and stop thinking of it as 16-bit Sonic, despite the throwback graphics.
12-21-2011, 03:39 PM
This really looks spectacular. No lag on the iPad 2. The price is right for a double dip.

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
12-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
This really looks spectacular. No lag on the iPad 2. The price is right for a double dip.
Care to share a full size screencap? If it's not too much trouble. Hard to tell how it's going to look by the 480*360 caps Apple gives us.