★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Need for Speed - is this "problem" normal?

05-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Need for Speed - is this "problem" normal?

Hiya,

I was wondering if anybody's having this problem with their car. For some reason this never happened before and only happened today (and I've been running the same race and same car for a while).

I'm having difficulty drifting. It's gotten to the point where I have to completely tilt the screen to the side, close or over 90 degrees, and it won't even drift. And you wouldn't think would make me turn and move around the lane very quickly - no. Plus, I can tilt the device sideways (like a real steering wheel) to the point where I'm holding the ipod touch vertically, and it's like I'm not really making a very drastic turn.

Is this normal?

I'm began to have this problem after I played the star throwing mini-game in Ninja Buddy, where it requires me to swing my hand very hard, with the ipod in my hand. So I was wondering if that somehow fouled up the accelerometer or some other positioning device in the ipod touch =/

Thanks!
05-07-2009, 10:11 PM
I think you have to tilt your iPod very quickly, I'm not too sure.

10chars

05-07-2009, 10:16 PM
I guess you are struggling in the Drift mode events. What you hae to do is turn the iPhone very quickly. If you do it slowly the drift will never trigger. Hope this helps

Currently Playing: N.O.V.A, Skater Nation, 33rd Division, 7 Cities, Karnival.
Looking Forward to: GTA: Chinatown Wars, Ravensword (update), 1112 ep 02 and yeah the hangover on 1st
05-07-2009, 10:19 PM
No, sorry =/ I'm actually playing on highway battle.

It played fine and drifted fine before. The controls were normal. Now it's like all of a sudden it's too sensitive (I didn't change it), so if I tilt by a little too much, the screen turns 45 degrees really quickly. It's so drastic that at first I thought it was busted and switching between portrait view and landscape view as I tilted, then I realized that it's not, it's just tilting very fast, but doesn't really have the turn or drift effect.

Thanks for the effort though!

ps. I'm playing the last of the second stage, right after you ousted the first guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinhart_menken View Post

I'm began to have this problem after I played the star throwing mini-game in Ninja Buddy, where it requires me to swing my hand very hard, with the ipod in my hand. So I was wondering if that somehow fouled up the accelerometer or some other positioning device in the ipod touch =/

Thanks!
This is Highly unlikely because the accelerometer is a very simple technology which consists of only a small ball rolling inside your device. If you are still not sure, I read about a app which tests the accuracy of your accelerometer and as far as i remember it was free. Forgot the name though

Currently Playing: N.O.V.A, Skater Nation, 33rd Division, 7 Cities, Karnival.
Looking Forward to: GTA: Chinatown Wars, Ravensword (update), 1112 ep 02 and yeah the hangover on 1st
turn the ipod quickly

this is my signature people get over it...
05-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer_megadeth View Post
This is Highly unlikely because the accelerometer is a very simple technology which consists of only a small ball rolling inside your device. If you are still not sure, I read about a app which tests the accuracy of your accelerometer and as far as i remember it was free. Forgot the name though
Hmm, well at least I can rest assured that my accelerometer isn't broken.

It's just very weird because the game wasn't this sensitive before =/

@nuggetsman28: Thanks, but it's gotten so drastic that I don't even need to tilt it too much and the screen just turns 45 degrees =/ I have to literally almost turn the screen so that it's not facing me (well, unless I contort my body with it) to make it drift.
05-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Yea it's not about how far you tilt the ipod, you have to "nudge" it quickly
05-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootbean View Post
Yea it's not about how far you tilt the ipod, you have to "nudge" it quickly
Thanks I wasn't sure if that's how you drift.

But the screen tilting crazy fast is really bugging me =/ Guess I'll have to live with it. Could it be because my handling's too high?
05-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinhart_menken View Post
Thanks I wasn't sure if that's how you drift.

But the screen tilting crazy fast is really bugging me =/ Guess I'll have to live with it. Could it be because my handling's too high?
Are you holding your device flat while tilting? When I did that the screen tilt thing was always spazzing