★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: TC-Helicon
  • Genre: Music
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 17.4 MB
  • Version: 1.0.2
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Host a singing gameshow in your living room! Can you out-sing your friends?

Sing Sports uses advanced vocal technology to analyze and score your singing -- the same technology found in TC-Helicon's range of voice processors, used by professional musicians around the world.

You will need to employ improvisation, listening, memory, and most importantly, the ability to carry a tune in order to become the champion.

Sing Sports can be played by 2 to 10 players using "Pass and Play". Gather your friends and family and have some fun! Kids, adults, teenagers, grandparents -- they'll all love it.

Played like a TV gameshow, your party of singing contestants will be guided through the competition by a colourful announcer. There's nothing to learn, no manual to read, just jump right in and start playing!

"If youre feeling more competitive than collaborative, Sing Sports is an entertaining option." -- New York Times

Details:

The game starts off with one of your party members being randomly selected as the Sing Master. They'll have a few seconds to sing anything they want. It could be a challenging tune, a random melody -- it all comes down to strategy. Each party member will then take turns trying to re-sing the Sing Master's tune as closely as possible. They'll be measured on accuracy of rhythm and pitch, but if the Sing Master botches it, you'll have to botch in the exact same way to score well. Make sure you start singing right after the countdown! When all challengers have made their attempts, the Sing Master gets a chance to sing it again in order to show off, and to gain valuable bonus points.

Once each player has had an opportunity at being the Sing Master, a new and more difficult stage begins where each player will be given double the singing time. You'll each accumulate play-money and at the end the champion will be revealed!

All you need is a 4th generation or newer iPod, an iPhone 3GS or better, or an iPad 1 or better. You'll also need to be running iOS 4.3 or better.

jaunt's comments:
Hi everyone,

I'm the software engineer who designed and created this app.

TC-Helicon is actually a pro-audio music company, but this Christmas I wanted to put some of our technology into a game and here is the result.

Would love your feedback. Obviously we're not a game company and so we have lots to learn. That being said, we've all had a blast playing this with our own families.

Steve

Youtube link | Pop Up

Version 1.0.2

Dare your friends to enter the arena!

Sing Sports is a party game where you try to out-sing your opponents.

You will need to employ improvisation, listening, memory, and most importantly, the ability to carry a tune in order to become the champion.

Sing Sports can be played by 2 to 10 players using "Pass and Play". Gather your friends and family and have some fun! Kids, adults, teenagers, grandparents -- they'll all love it.

Played like a TV gameshow, your party of singing contestants will be guided through the competition by a colourful announcer. There's nothing to learn, no manual to read, just jump right in and start playing!

The game starts off with one of your party members being randomly selected as the Sing Master. They'll have a few seconds to sing anything they want. It could be a challenging tune, a random melody -- it all comes down to strategy. Each party member will then take turns trying to re-sing the Sing Master's tune as closely as possible. They'll be measured on accuracy of rhythm and pitch, but if the Sing Master botches it, you'll have to botch in the exact same way to score well. Make sure you start singing right after the countdown! When all challengers have made their attempts, the Sing Master gets a chance to sing it again in order to show off, and to gain valuable bonus points.

Once each player has had an opportunity at being the Sing Master, a new and more difficult stage begins where each player will be given double the singing time. You'll each accumulate play-money and at the end the champion will be revealed!

Sing Sports uses advanced vocal technology to analyze and score your singing -- the same technology found in TC-Helicon's range of voice processors, used by professional musicians around the world. We've initially designed the scoring to be family-friendly, but look for higher level of difficulty options in future updates.

All you need is a 4th generation or newer iPod, an iPhone 3GS or better, or an iPad 1 or better. You'll also need to be running iOS 4.3 or better.

12-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Splendid gameplay concept! I'm downloading it as we speak, and will be shouting in an unhinged manner at my phone in a few minutes.

Fun to see a nongaming-related company produce an iOS title. I hope Sing Sports sell well enough for you to consider a whole range of iOS products relying on TC-Helion's awesome voice processors

And keep working on those higher difficulty levels, in case 10 years of rock vocals/rock opera should happened to have yielded results

Vocalist of Earthbridge and Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona

12-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Thank you kindly! I hope you enjoy it. It's been a blast working on, especially putting together the game-show announcer's voice-overs :-)

Will do on the difficulty levels. It's challenging making it not too punishing for beginner singers while at the same time allowing skilled singers to compete somewhat seriously. Hopefully we'll get some feedback from users of different calibers.

My head is also filled with many other feature possibilities for this game.

Best,

Steve
12-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to Zendorphin Send a message via Skype™ to Zendorphin
"Some people know how to listen. I'm one of them."
That's you! If you mean physical appearance otherwise you're just doing the VO

Last edited by Zendorphin; 12-23-2011 at 08:50 PM.
12-24-2011, 02:47 AM
:-) You got it! How did you guess?

I feel like a bit of an idiot for not generating some promo-codes before the iTunes developer-portal closed for Christmas holidays today, so I'll have to give you a couple on the 29th to make up for it. My sincere apologies.

Unfortunately that will also have to be the case for anyone else who chimes in. Starting now, 1 code for anyone who gives me a feature idea (10 codes total, to be delivered after the 29th of December when the iTunes developer portal re-opens).

Best regards,

Steve
12-24-2011, 08:51 AM
Would be awesome to be able to import songs from the itunes library to use as a "singing guide" for kids. That way we could either buy karaoke CDs or just turn the volume down on the "template track". Looks awesome, by the way. The 6-year-old in my life has us play her own version of this game in the car where we sing and Mom gets to be the judge. (I always lose, cause i'm not the 6-year-old.) This could even the playing field!

Best of luck with this creative release!

↪ GameCenter : Igoo
12-24-2011, 03:18 PM
That is a good idea. A solo-practice mode would be great. I thought perhaps bundled phrases by teachers or known singers could be fun to compete against. I like your idea of using backing tracks. I'll add the idea to our feature-tracker database.

Anyway, thanks! I'll send you a promo code as soon as I can get back into the developer portal.
12-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Zombies. Every game needs zombies. It's a fact.

Nukes are good too...

How about Zombie Nukes!

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
12-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Zombies! I like it :-)

I just submitted a new version to the app store with several improvements (stability, easier navigation, better scoring), and one cool new feature:

At the end of a round, you can tap "Contestant Choir" to hear everyone's rendition of the Sing Master's challenge simultaneously. It's pretty funny, depending on how good or bad your friends can sing ;-)

PS: I just sent promo codes to everyone who replied.
12-28-2011, 03:55 PM
I'm very interested