Mass "What Should I Get?" Thread (2012 - 2015)

View Poll Results: What device to get?
iPod Touch 2 15.38%
iPad 7 53.85%
iPad Mini 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll
04-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 345
Few questions!

Does anything else out there hold a torch to Starfront Collision? I started playing it again the other day, and it's really a fantastic Starcraft clone. I wonder, though, are there any other titles with updated "stuff"?

Also, Cartoon Wars. Yay/nay? And if yay, which version? There are quite a few renditions out there.

Final question! What multi-player options exist between iOS and Android? My brother just got a new S2, but I'm on an iPad and 4S. I want to play something mobile with him, but I'm not sure our options. Any help here?

Device: iPhone 4S (16 gig), iPad 2 (32 gig) Wifi
Game Center and Gameloft: nicoga3000 (Include what game you're adding me for or I won't accept!)
04-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoga3000 View Post
Few questions!

Does anything else out there hold a torch to Starfront Collision? I started playing it again the other day, and it's really a fantastic Starcraft clone. I wonder, though, are there any other titles with updated "stuff"?

Also, Cartoon Wars. Yay/nay? And if yay, which version? There are quite a few renditions out there.

Final question! What multi-player options exist between iOS and Android? My brother just got a new S2, but I'm on an iPad and 4S. I want to play something mobile with him, but I'm not sure our options. Any help here?
If you like RTS you should give Red Conquest! a try. One of the best out there. I learned about it from Backtothis - who, quite frankly, never leads me wrong.

Add me: Sanitymops

04-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanitymops View Post
If you like RTS you should give Red Conquest! a try.
Yeah, I'd probably put RC over Starfront as a better game. I'd rather play Starfront though since there are always people online. Red Alert was amazing when there were a ton of people who were on at any time of the day. Been years now though, sadly. It has a great campaign and multiple single-player modes though. LASW (Land Air Sea Warfare) is another great one. There's only skirmish mode in it though. That's pretty much it for quality RTS games on the iOS.

You'd think there'd be a lot more by now considering how amazing the large iPad touchscreen would be for them.

Amoebattle just came out last week. Really positive impressions so far for that one as well. It's the third game on Apple's featured list for the week. There's only a campaign mode though.

For more mediocre RTS games, The Settlers, Robocalypse, and Red Alert fit the bill.

Twitter: @back2this

Last edited by backtothis; 04-08-2012 at 10:23 PM.
04-08-2012, 10:28 PM
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: The red Skittle
Posts: 5,029
What about Civ Rev? Any good?



Need proofreading, editing or writing done for your game?
Contact me via PM or email and we can talk.
04-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoseven View Post
What about Civ Rev? Any good?
I really like civ rev, unlimited replay value and lots to do.
04-08-2012, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
LASW (Land Air Sea Warfare) is another great one. There's only skirmish mode in it though. That's pretty much it for quality RTS games on the iOS.
LASW is my favorite RTS on the AppStore.

Starfront is like Starcraft, LASW is like AoE, and Red Conquest is a hybrid between the two (more like Starcraft though). Like backtothis said before, those 3 are the best in the AppStore.

Favorite app of all time - Dungeon Raid
04-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ninja View Post
LASW is my favorite RTS on the AppStore.

Starfront is like Starcraft, LASW is like AoE, and Red Conquest is a hybrid between the two (more like Starcraft though). Like backtothis said before, those 3 are the best in the AppStore.
I'm watching the IGN Pro League finals for SC2 that's going on in Vegas right now. Holy crap, I need to get the game ASAP, lol. Reason why I quit PC RTS games is because I couldn't ever stop playing them online constantly, but SC2 looks so freaking sick. I keep putting off buying it since I know I'd never play anything else..

Edit: Ok, wow, resyncing LASW, Starfront, and Red Conquest. Grabbing Starcraft 2 next weekend. I need to play some freaking RTS.

Twitter: @back2this

Last edited by backtothis; 04-09-2012 at 12:44 AM.
04-09-2012, 12:48 AM
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
I'm watching the IGN Pro League finals for SC2 that's going on in Vegas right now. Holy crap, I need to get the game ASAP, lol. Reason why I quit PC RTS games is because I couldn't ever stop playing them online constantly, but SC2 looks so freaking sick. I keep putting off buying it since I know I'd never play anything else..

Edit: Ok, wow, resyncing LASW, Starfront, and Red Conquest. Grabbing Starcraft 2 next weekend. I need to play some freaking RTS.
I'll have to look into LASW and Red Conquest. Thanks for the recs everyone.

As for Starfront, I'm loving it. My brother plays a LOT of SC2, and I considered buying it, but I just don't know if I could ever get that good, haha. Starfront is a nice option for me given my lack of drive to learn SC2 I guess.

Device: iPhone 4S (16 gig), iPad 2 (32 gig) Wifi
Game Center and Gameloft: nicoga3000 (Include what game you're adding me for or I won't accept!)
04-09-2012, 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
I'm watching the IGN Pro League finals for SC2 that's going on in Vegas right now. Holy crap, I need to get the game ASAP, lol. Reason why I quit PC RTS games is because I couldn't ever stop playing them online constantly, but SC2 looks so freaking sick. I keep putting off buying it since I know I'd never play anything else..

Edit: Ok, wow, resyncing LASW, Starfront, and Red Conquest. Grabbing Starcraft 2 next weekend. I need to play some freaking RTS.
Go Squirtle!

How can you be such an RTS fan and not have SC2? It's the only RTS with a worthwhile esports scene and might stay the only one for the next decade.
04-09-2012, 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoga3000 View Post
I'll have to look into LASW and Red Conquest. Thanks for the recs everyone.

As for Starfront, I'm loving it. My brother plays a LOT of SC2, and I considered buying it, but I just don't know if I could ever get that good, haha. Starfront is a nice option for me given my lack of drive to learn SC2 I guess.
Dude, you up for a match sometime? Hell, I'm up for a match of Starfront right now if you want. Done resyncing now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazarath View Post
Go Squirtle!

How can you be such an RTS fan and not have SC2? It's the only RTS with a worthwhile esports scene and might stay the only one for the next decade.
Like I said, I quit PC RTS games years ago.

Definitely played my share of Starcraft, AoE, and Empire Earth when I was younger. Won't take me too long to learn SC2 .

Edit: Squirtle is a freaking boss. Protoss ftw.

Twitter: @back2this

Last edited by backtothis; 04-09-2012 at 01:06 AM.