★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Gamebook Adventures - all reduced to $2.99 until Jan 4th

12-26-2011, 05:07 AM
Gamebook Adventures - all reduced to $2.99 until Jan 4th

Happy Holidays from the Tin Man crew! Just to remind you that all 7 of our Gamebook Adventures titles are current discounted by 40% until January 4th. They can be played independently of each other, so just choose a story that appeals to you and give it a try! If you like reading epic fantasy novels, enjoy RPGs and adventure games then this could be for you.

For more info check out the Gamebook Adventures site or read our blog.

Follow us on the Tin Man Games blog and check out our latest Gamebook Adventures and Fighting Fantasy sites for links to our GA and FF apps!
12-26-2011, 08:25 AM
Do you have a title that you would prefer for someone new to Gamebooks? I want to gift one of these to a friend, but I cannot decide which one to choose. i want to choose one that is not too hard to get through, but that is also fun and with a compelling story. I am leaning toward An Assassin in Orlandes or Temple of the Spider God but I'm open to another suggestion.

12-26-2011, 02:37 PM
I think I started with book 5.but I think it's the kind Of thing that if you love it, you'll love it. As after reading one book I bought them all and get each new book as soon as they come out.
12-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Strange that the sale before christmas saw 5 of the 7 gamebooks went down to 0.99 cents but not this time.

Assassin in Orlandes is good if your friend likes to read.

Temple of the Spider God has more fights and shorter story.

I bought the others as well but haven't been through them yet as i'm taking my time trying to get all the achievements.
12-27-2011, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbxsat View Post
Strange that the sale before christmas saw 5 of the 7 gamebooks went down to 0.99 cents but not this time.

Assassin in Orlandes is good if your friend likes to read.

Temple of the Spider God has more fights and shorter story.

I bought the others as well but haven't been through them yet as i'm taking my time trying to get all the achievements.
Aussie App Sale was behind those sales.

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
12-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Which are better between these and the Fighting Fantasy series? I have a $15 iTunes card still to spend, so I was thinking of either getting all of the FF series or 5 of the 7 of these.

Of course if you want to give me a code for two of them, I would gladly purchase the other 5 at the current price.
12-28-2011, 01:45 PM
i am not sure which is "better" storywise, but the Gamebook Adventure books have a MUCH better polish/look then the Fighting Fantasy ones.

the only thing Fighting Fantasy has going for it, is that they are based on the Steve Jackson books of old, and he was/is a very prolific tabletop game maker of old.

i would go on itunes and look at the pictures, youtube and look at some video, and then read the descriptions and see which story you might enjoy more.

i just bought all 7 Gamebook Adventures based on the FREE lite they have, plus i enjoy these types of things. as far as i could find, Fighting
Fantasy did not have a lite version to try.
12-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentdante View Post
the only thing Fighting Fantasy has going for it, is that they are based on the Steve Jackson books of old, and he was/is a very prolific tabletop game maker of old.
Actually, tabletop Steve Jackson (American) and the Steve Jackson (British) who created the FF series with Ian Livingstone are two different people. The American SJ did write a couple of books in the series, but not any of the ones available in the app store.

The FF series does have the power of nostalgia on its side, and the books still hold up well, but the GA series is probably more solid overall, particularly because the handful of FF books available in the app store are mostly from early in the series (the 1980s, whereas the GA series came out over quarter of a century later), and the design was still being ironed out during their creation.

The sixth GA book (Wizard of Tarnath Tor) is easily the weakest in that series, but it's not really any worse than the FF books. A couple of GA books do unfortunately include an unfair FF-throwback where if you didn't choose the exact right path through the game, you can't win/progress; that mechanic really shouldn't be around anymore, especially in games that otherwise promote and reward exploration and experimentation.
12-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
Actually, tabletop Steve Jackson (American) and the Steve Jackson (British) who created the FF series with Ian Livingstone are two different people. The American SJ did write a couple of books in the series, but not any of the ones available in the app store.
Oh i had no clue, i guess i should have looked that up before spouting off at the mouth, hahaha.

but i agree, nostalgia for all of the create a character adventure books is huge. i wish someone would remake all the D&D ones i had as a child/teenager, seems like a good market for it.
12-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
Actually, tabletop Steve Jackson (American) and the Steve Jackson (British) who created the FF series with Ian Livingstone are two different people.
Pah! That's just what the illuminati want you to think *runs away*

I liked Assassin in Orlandes. Haven't tried any of the others.