Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-26-2011, 10:20 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Baroque FPS

This evidently just came out today (according to iTunes)...or back on May 11th (according to the AppStore).

I assume it is official and it is translated into English, but what it is isn't super clear.

As you folk might know by my icon, I was a huge fan of the PS2 RPG, Baroque. It was a very quirky Roguelike RPG with its main draw being its very weird storyline (even if you played really skillfully all the way to the bottom of the dungeon, you will be killed, all of your items lost, and you'll be forced to make yet another run in the only slightly changed dungeon now with maybe a few more floors then there were last time). As weird as that nonsense was, the actual game mechanics, items, and creatures were pretty cool and original.

This Baroque FPS is clearly based from the same game engine but appears REALLY streamlined to the point of being almost pointless. You don't appear to have any sort of inventory, so any items you find are used right as you pick them up. As far as I can tell these items are only healing items, I have yet to see any new armor, weapons, or other forms of cool equipment that really made the original game so cool. Also, very cheesy in my book, it doesn't even appear you can save your game, which if doing a fully 99 level run you aren't likely to easily do in one sitting. Lastly, to me almost worse than the silliness about not being able to save, is the fact that there are absolutely no stats tracked locally, much less, any sort of GC integration!

With the negatives out of the way, all the wacky creatures appear to be there and it seems to be using the same randomized room layouts of the original game. I also like that this appears to drop all of the silly story crap, so you are just trying to hack and slash your way as deep into the dungeon as you can make.

The base game is free which is just the first 5 levels or so, and if you like it (or are feebly hoping there is more to it), you can pay $1.99 to get access to the full 99 levels.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:48 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

LG, could you clarify a bit? You said that the main draw was the quirky story, but then said that it was a positive that there is no story here. I'm probably going to try it out since its free, but I have no background with the original game, and it looks like you know a lot about it.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:02 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Props to LordGek for being a fan of Baroque. I like the PS2 version as well, but this sounds next to useless. lol

/downloads...
Old 12-26-2011, 11:29 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Saw this yesterday but didn't think much of it... when I first saw it I thought it said Barbecue FPS lol..
Old 12-26-2011, 11:37 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Yeah... saw it in appshopper yesterday and picked it up immediately. The PS2 game was brilliant and amusing ..even if it was diabolically hard.

This rendition of the game however, feels rather empty and souless. I got rid of it quickly. =/
Old 12-26-2011, 12:11 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

same here. after loving the ps2 version, i saw this a couple days ago and picked it up, super excited. even bought the dlc without even trying it out.

i only played it for a min, but the dual stick controls seems to take a lot away from the original, i know its a fps, it says so in the title, but it does seem that a lot was stripped away to make it fit on IOS.

i actually liked all the trapped souls, they were what made me want to explore deeper, to see what other interactions awaited. its a shame that they cut all that out. Also the fighting seems too oversimplified now.

but on the other hand it is baroque portable...
Old 01-31-2012, 06:05 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

Wow, that disappeared off the app store surprisingly quickly.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:13 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Wasnt Baroque the rogue-like-ish PS2 game? If so I loved that game. Too bad I played it when i bought Shadow Of The Colossus which became my favorite adventure game.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:18 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Wasnt Baroque the rogue-like-ish PS2 game? If so I loved that game. Too bad I played it when i bought Shadow Of The Colossus which became my favorite adventure game.
Yup, that's the one (and on Wii, of course). Tried this game, and it is...BROKEN! Terrible, terrible controls and camera.