★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone/Touch 3D perfomance numbers

05-08-2009, 09:16 AM
iPhone/Touch 3D perfomance numbers

I have seached this forum for performance numbers but with no luck.

Can anyone please help me with:

1. Performance numbers; TL poly counts, Fillrate etc.

2. Any special hardware ligthning/shading capabilities

If you have found other threads were this is being discussed, please drop me a link

05-08-2009, 10:18 AM
how many triangles is very different depending on what 3d engine you use(if you use one), the only one I know the specs of is sio2(http://www.sio2interactive.com/HOME/HOME.html). With the current version you can have 15k triangles drawn at 40fps+ on ipod touch 2G, in the next version it's 30k at 30fps+(still on ipod touch 2G), these numbers are with texture and maybe light, but without physics.

How many triangles you can render per FOV depends on lots of things like:
  • texture/multi texture
  • physics
  • light
  • animation
  • how much time everything except the drawing uses(AI etc.)

For your second question: you can use OpenGL lights
05-08-2009, 03:45 PM
You can find iPhone 3D benchmarks here:

It has triangle throughput, fill rate, etc. Also you can compare the iPhone to other mobile devices on that website.
05-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks a for the info guys!

It's seem to be more powerfull than I initially had predicted - I was thinking DS times 1,5

Last edited by MacDaddy; 05-09-2009 at 10:38 AM.
05-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Well theoretically its almost at the Dreamcast level, it based on the same PowerVR chipset that was used in the SEGA Dreamcast, though running on a lower resolution screen.

But since its running with the iPhoneOS and that Apple made some restriction, we are probably loosing a bit performance. But the more people develop for it, the more they will find way to get their code optimized and I am sure Apple will do the same with the iPhoneOS also.

Just take a look at the recent Need for Speed video from EA posted on the site here. It surely shows that it can be quite powerful.