★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Recommend a game similar to Mass Effect

12-29-2011, 02:00 AM
Recommend a game similar to Mass Effect

I've been playing Mass Effect for the 360 and have become a little obsessed with it. Always been a fan of BioWare's games. Are there any games available for the iPhone or iPad thats similar to it? I know there is Mass Effect for iDevices but i've seen it and its very meh. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated it.

Currently playing: Clash of Clans and Boom Beach
12-29-2011, 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meder87 View Post
I've been playing Mass Effect for the 360 and have become a little obsessed with it. Always been a fan of BioWare's games. Are there any games available for the iPhone or iPad thats similar to it? I know there is Mass Effect for iDevices but i've seen it and its very meh. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated it.
Real role playing and immersive RPG experiences are almost impossible to find in the app store.

I would recommend

Dangerous
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=117572

It is not a TPS but it has branching dialogue/romance options and rather complex combat mechanics.

Avadon
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...ghlight=avadon
It is an ipad only port of a rather epic PC rpg where you have to make a lot of moral decisions. The world is rather well realized with enough lore to draw you in, it doesn't happen too often but your companions do banter and exchange viewpoints/harsh words with one another in certain situations. However this game has a turn based combat mechanic and the graphics may put you off.

Others will probably recommend Aralon, but though it is a decent rpg with diverse classes, a relatively huge world to explore and many quests to do...it is the exact opposite of what Bioware stands for;it has minimal lore, plot and character interactions.

Last edited by violentv; 12-29-2011 at 02:47 AM.
12-29-2011, 04:39 AM
There's actually quite a few awesome RPGs that I can recommend, but are you just looking for a good RPG? Or do you want something strictly like Mass Effect?

Keep in mind, I played both 1 & 2 to death, so I know that nothing on the AppStore really compares to ME. However, there are some pretty awesome RPGs on this platform. (hell, ME still reigns supreme in my RPG book ME 1 & 2, followed by Dragon Age, then Skyrim, and finally Fable)

Anyways, if you want a space theme, I'd say go with Dangerous like violentv said, Galaxy on Fire 2, and/or Galactic Phantasy. If you're not a super hardcore RPG player then I'd suggest saving Dangerous for the last game you check out.

Other great RPGs are King of Dragon Pass, The Bard's Tale, Zenonia 4, and Mage Gauntlet.

Pretty much anything from Square Enix is good, especially if you never played on console. I've actually only bought the Chaos Rings series, but I've played the other ones; just not on iOS. I typically don't buy ports I've already played.

Game Center: GoofyJmaster My Twitter; Weekly Game Impressions! Thread; Game Guide 2011
Playing Frederic Resurrection of Music, Jazz: Trump's Journey, Russian Dancing Men, & Cytus

Last edited by GoofyJmaster.; 12-29-2011 at 04:52 AM.
12-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the response guys. I'll check out those games. Yeah I was looking for something similar to Mass Effect in terms of gameplay I guess. Not spot exact. I think Square Enix's RPG's are great but i've never gotten into them. But games like Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect by BioWare have all sucked me in and i've really enjoy playing them.

Currently playing: Clash of Clans and Boom Beach