Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibliribland View Post
Great to hear, however I'm not fully clear on. The loot.

Personally (-and I'm not bashing your design choices here) I really dislike the whole "gather currency and unlock equipment" since it takes away ALL the feeling of accomplishment and wow factor in getting new equipment.
That's because from the first second you start the game you know what items you will get eventually, instead of finding out on the way and leaving it to luck, ala diablo, sacred, zenonia, inotia etc.

I really hope you keep the random spells aspect, no matter how many urns I crashed I was always excited to see what spell I got .

EDIT: Any release date planned? Or any general release ideas? January? August? 2034?
We're not doing a Diablo loot system (Which is what Zenonia and so on use) for this game. It'll be more like what we did for Mage Gauntlet, where the loot isn't randomly generated. We're mostly doing this because our loot will actually attempt to be different from each other in gameplay, in many cases changing each character's abilities, rather than an endless treadmill of tiny stat upgrades.

Though we'll probably have to do a Diablo-loot-system some day, because it's such a great psychological hook. It really speaks to the same parts of your brain that are involved in gambling. Even if you look at the system and they're really all just, you know, tiny stat upgrades.

Almost all characters retain the "random, one-use inventory" thing from Mage Gauntlet. Many characters have a mix of that mechanic and reusable abilities you can select that use mana or other item drops to replenish.

I don't think I'll guess at a release date until it's like a month away from coming out.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:48 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

This is sounding fantastic! Gunners with twin stick shooter type controls? Dungeons levelling up each time you beat 'em? YES PLEASE
Old 12-30-2011, 07:09 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Really excited for this. Rocketcat are easily my favorite developers, and Mage Gauntlet is my game of the year.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:35 PM

The gamer in me is super excited to see this on the horizon! Mage Gauntlet has been my go to title since it was released! Love it! And Kepa was so responsive to even the smallest problem I might have had (that stuck in the wall thing for instance!) that I look forward to this game even more!

The moderator part of me needs to remind everyone:

Read this section of the rules:

Quote:
- Don't beg/ask for promo codes, beta testing or gifted apps unless invited by developer.
I don't think there is a person on these forums that would NOT want to beta test a Rocketcat Game, so it probably goes without saying Kepa has a big pool to choose from. Let's just keep to the rules. I just had to delete a couple posts, I don't want to have to do anything harsher k?
Old 12-31-2011, 04:37 PM

I think we're mostly going to be using local testers and other game developers from now on, besides any beta testers we already have. Just leads to way more usable feedback. In any case, I don't think we'll be doing a huge call for beta testers or anything.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:41 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

First of all, I'd like to say thank you for Mage Gauntlet. It's one the best games i've played in awhile. And that's saying a lot considering its an iOs game.

Thrilled to hear a spin-off is in the works. But I'm really hoping that the game's feeling doesn't change too much. It sounds awesome that your improving the loot and leveling of the game BUT i hope is still a great fast-paced action-adventure. I love the idea of a fully fledged dungeon crawler, but the truth is, to me the MAIN appeal is it's a GREAT reminiscence of awesome oldies like Castlevania SotN and the Original Ninja Gaidens with a touch of flavour and storytelling of Zeldas and Secret Mana.

It's great that you guys are experimenting the concept with s spin-off, but I hope when MG2 comes it stays the same MG, but even better. Looking forward to see how this game develops
Old 01-02-2012, 01:33 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

This looks awesome, and I can't wait for it.

How does the character rotation work?
Old 01-02-2012, 04:36 PM
iPod Touch (2nd Gen)

first off i have yet to finish mage gauntlet but i will do so in time, the system is phenominal and i really enjoy the uniqueness of the game. adding more characters in time will really help and although i've never really played random generated dungeons this is a definite game i will play. please i beg of you don't make the game (pay to have fun) type deal because it will take away from the company as a whole as gamevil's zenonia 2 did.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:05 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 3.x

Let me just say....

I'd kill for some multiplayer capabilities over wifi/bluetooth/or even internet.

The biggest thing I've been looking for in games is multiplayer capabilities.

I really enjoyed Mage Gauntlet...

Imagine that dungeons leveled up a few times, but that the highest level-up or two of the dungeon could only be beaten co-operatively. That would be really fun!

Probably just a far fetched fantasy....
Old 01-02-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3TAL1AT3 View Post
It's great that you guys are experimenting the concept with s spin-off, but I hope when MG2 comes it stays the same MG, but even better. Looking forward to see how this game develops
MG2 will still be story based, but with less of it shoved right at you. We're going to try to make it so the basic story is really easy to understand, with lots of extra story if you want to find it (books, and towns with characters to talk to). I consider the MG story a bit too wordy, especially in that first chapter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ninja View Post
This looks awesome, and I can't wait for it.

How does the character rotation work?
We're thinking that there will be a character list, and to the left of that list an icon that shows today's free character. You can play as the free character without restrictions (no energy restrictions, no Gameloft keys, no enforced waiting, no paywalls). The next day, the free character changes to a new character. To play the previous character, you either have to unlock it with gems or wait until the "free hero" rotates to that character again. As we add characters, we'll probably either bump it up to two free characters per day or have special days where multiple characters are free.

Anyway, that's what we're thinking so far. It's a system we absolutely did not completely steal from League of Legends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itouchbd View Post
please i beg of you don't make the game (pay to have fun) type deal because it will take away from the company as a whole as gamevil's zenonia 2 did.
I think an important part of making a free game is letting the player unlock everything 100%, without ever paying a cent, as long as they're patient. Temple Run does this, Tiny Tower does this, Team Fortress 2 does this (well, TF2 really makes you work for it but the idea's there). Our get-you-to-pay idea is simply that were will be a lot of classes, so it's easy to unlock one but gets kind of daunting to unlock them all, especially if we keep adding characters.

That said, I think we'll have a single item you can't unlock just by playing. It will be called the "Rocketcat Party Room", it will cost 20 bucks, and it will just be a room that always spawns on the first floor containing Gnomey, who points at you and screams. I am serious about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narziss View Post
Let me just say....

I'd kill for some multiplayer capabilities over wifi/bluetooth/or even internet.

The biggest thing I've been looking for in games is multiplayer capabilities
We'll do a multiplayer game eventually, but honestly it's far off. PC porting is a higher priority, but after that we'll probably do a multiplayer game. There's a lot of added hassle with multiplayer, and I'm not even sure if it leads to more sales on iOS. Though it definitely leads to more sales on PC, hence PC porting being a higher priority before we tackle multiplayer.

Anyway, I hope that explains our thoughts on multiplayer. SOME DAY, but it has to be done in a way that justifies the extra work.

Closed Thread