★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Clone apps or non-clone - What makes more money?

01-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Clone apps or non-clone - What makes more money?

I'm making a Minecraft clone called Minecrafterz... I wanted to know if I don't make a game That's a clone Will I make more Cash/Money

**No hates comments about me making a Minecraft Clone. Just keep the hate to yourself or discuss your hate with me on Twitter @MCrafterz**
01-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonvalefan View Post
I'm making a Minecraft clone called Minecrafterz... I wanted to know if I don't make a game That's a clone Will I make more Cash/Money

**No hates comments about me making a Minecraft Clone. Just keep the hate to yourself or discuss your hate with me on Twitter @MCrafterz**
It's debatable really. Small example of how this works: the guys who created the original minecraft nine times outta ten make the most money. Then come the clones, from best (and most original and fun since players could already play the original). If you're mostly through development, stick with it, but add some sparks of originality to it. NOBODY likes a pure clone, but They can enjoy a game similar to it.

I don't want a signature.

01-01-2012, 03:40 PM
You'll probably get in trouble for trademark violation with that name. Heads up now that it's probably best to change it.

In terms of clones versus non-clones, I think it just comes down to the quality of the game, its novel features, etc.
01-01-2012, 07:34 PM
A Lot of clones on the store

There are a lot of clones on the store at the moment and a lot of clones in the top 100. You shouldn't set out to directly copy a game though, you will will get compared to other games no matter what you do but try to add some originality to the game to make it a bit better or more interesting.

From my experience straight clones get smashed on the store with bad reviews, if you want to get some good ideas for games maybe look to old classics and flash games that aren't on the app store yet.

The game 'Chicks' is a good example of a clone of Lemmings, but no one on the app store seemed to care. Angry Birds and Tiny Wings are just clones of old flash games.
Check out wavespark to see where Tiny Wings inspriation came from:
http://nmccoy.net/games/game04_waves...let/index.html

The difference is in the quality of the execution and the theme, start with minecraft but make it 10 times more awesome than the original and change the game up to make something new and original and you will have a winner.
01-02-2012, 05:51 AM
Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice
The concept for Minecraft came from Infiniminer, but Minecraft made a lot more money. Many disagree whether Minecraft is a "clone" of Infiniminer, but there is little doubt that it was "heavily influenced" by Infiniminer.

So now you are proposing creating a clone of a clone of sorts. Could suffer from genetic breakdown like real clones.

As was already mentioned, I wouldn't market it with "minecraft" in the name in any way. Notch has millions of dollars to sue you with.
01-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Best way to tell if you should make a clone of something or not is when you need to ask someone whether you should make it or not. Not being sarcastic... just saying at that point you know for a fact that it's at the pinnacle of it's popularity, and if you start now, you'll look silly in 5-6 months or whatever the cycle will be to put it out when everyone has moved on to free runners or bowling games...whatever the next popular thing will be
01-06-2012, 04:25 AM
Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTWGames View Post
Best way to tell if you should make a clone of something or not is when you need to ask someone whether you should make it or not. Not being sarcastic... just saying at that point you know for a fact that it's at the pinnacle of it's popularity, and if you start now, you'll look silly in 5-6 months or whatever the cycle will be to put it out when everyone has moved on to free runners or bowling games...whatever the next popular thing will be
Thanks for the idea. Off to work on a free-running bowling game now!
01-06-2012, 05:00 AM
MindJuice made me laugh ;-)

Game Center: MarinasideSteve
01-13-2012, 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindJuice View Post
Thanks for the idea. Off to work on a free-running bowling game now!
I quite like the Fake Peter Molyneuxs 'cascore' joke ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGZ9PmUlVZw ) - all the overblown emotional joke stuff aside the basic idea of bowling down alien or zombie attacks seems like a bit of a laugh and crazy enough to work. I just get the feeling that people with more time on their hands saw the video and had the same idea, so it'll appear sooner and in a more polished form than I can pull off.

So I'm still looking for my own niche. I want to do something better than other people out there, and it looks to me that the best way is to be the only one doing it and win by default
01-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Personally I would prefer to have a niche in the app that I am making

it provides a differentiating factor and actually gives u more motivation in making it awesome =)