★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How often do you clear your multitasking bar?

01-02-2012, 10:43 PM
How often do you clear your multitasking bar?

Ever since iOS 4.0, I have been pretty OCD about clearing my multitasking bar all the time. It is kind of a pain, but I have always thought that doing it will save battery and RAM. It might not even be a noticeable difference, so I had this question.

I was just curious, how often/do you ever clear your multitasking bar? Have you noticed a big difference in your device's performance from what you do?
01-02-2012, 10:57 PM
constantly. i clear the multitasking bar at least 4 to 5 times a day. i also hard reboot about every day also.

its crazy how fast you can build up 10-15 apps just using your phone for everyday uses.

01-02-2012, 11:04 PM
it actually might save your battery if you keep things in the multitasking bar. most apps there aren't using any resources, they're just frozen until you need to use them again. keeping them there would save the system from having to restart the entire app again when you want to use it. yes there are some apps that use resources in the background like music players, file downloaders, etc. but it's worth a try to not clear anything for a day (or not as often at least) and see if it makes a difference.

personally i clear mine usually just once near the end of the day or if im seeing noticeable slowdown just to clear some RAM. though i do clear the facebook app every time i quit because i don't like how it keeps me online for chat.

Playing: Chopper 2, Pocket God, Minigore, Battle Bears-1, Doodle Jump, Tilt to Live, SuperMega Worm
Plus+: J3553 | Feint: J3553H | Crystal: J3553 | Gameloft Live: J3553
01-02-2012, 11:25 PM
Interesting. I think I'll experiment with it to see which is best. Do games use up a lot of resources when in the bar, as much as apps like GPS and Facebook?
01-03-2012, 12:28 AM
Before I hard reset my iTouch, I never cleared my multitask bar. It runs the exact same with a lot of stuff in it than without a lot of stuff in it, IMO. It might run a tiny bit slower with a ton of apps in the multitask bar (I didn't really notice) but overall, runs pretty much the same.

List of Games I've Beta Tested
Follow me on Twitter: @Jdragoon19
01-03-2012, 12:58 AM
I clear mine constantly and it does make a difference, at least for memory. I have SBsettings (cydia app) and I can see my memory shoot up from double digits to triple digits after clearing my multitask bar. Yes, apps do and will take up memory as long as they remain in the multitask bar (usually 1-10MB), SBSettings does not lie.

you can also wait for the memory to be automatically freed up but it's not nearly as effective or as quick as manually closing the apps from the multitask bar yourself.

Last edited by Alan88; 01-03-2012 at 01:01 AM.
01-03-2012, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan88 View Post
I clear mine constantly and it does make a difference, at least for memory. I have SBsettings (cydia app) and I can see my memory shoot up from double digits to triple digits after clearing my multitask bar. Yes, apps do and will take up memory as long as they remain in the multitask bar (usually 1-10MB), SBSettings does not lie.
iOS will kill apps for you if it needs more memory. iOS does not lie.
01-03-2012, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1a View Post
iOS will kill apps for you if it needs more memory. iOS does not lie.
Oh I know, but the amount it clears is almost negligible* compared to the amount you can free via the multitask bar.

*--I know because I've tested and monitored both methods with SBSettings, which does not lie.

Last edited by Alan88; 01-03-2012 at 01:12 AM.
01-03-2012, 01:19 AM
If I'm playing anything but casual games, I'll clear it completely. I also clear it completely at the end of day. I only restart my iPod about 1-2 times a week though.

Twitter: @back2this
01-03-2012, 01:29 AM
I clear it every time i'm done with the app. Gotta be pro-active to conserve battery

GCID: Allanon!
Fav's: Clash of Clans, DragonVale, Bastion, Score!, The Walking Dead, Puzzle RPGs
Beta Tested: Flashout 3D
Attention Dev's: Game Center Achievements are very necessary!