Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-04-2012, 12:04 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Transformoid (by Unusual Dynamics) [Universal]

Has anybody tried this game yet? It's currently on sale $2.99-->$0.99 until January 14th. I don't know if I need another breakout game. And, the spelling error on one of the app description screens is worrisome. But, it looks nice and it's only a buck, so I might give it a shot...unless someone tells me otherwise.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:50 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

It does look nice. Please TOFTT!
Old 01-04-2012, 06:51 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Despite the lack of interest, I decided to TOFTT on this one anyway. In a few words, I would describe this game as a competent and very nice looking breakout-style game, and is well worth the sale price of $0.99. For a little more info, read on...

Pros:

-Looks great! I love the steam punk meets Wall-E, post-apocalyptic look to the game. I played on my iPad 2, and the graphics are nice and crisp. The background behind the blocks has parallax scrolling, so as you tilt the device to move the paddle the background shifts subtly and adds nice depth. I was worried about the colored blocks, because they didn't appear to match the style of the game from the screenshots. After playing a bit, I'd say it's not as bad as I first thought, but I'd still rather see block colors that fit the look of the game a little better.

-Controls are as good as one would expect. You have "touchs" (relative) and "tilts" options, with "accelerometr" sensitivity adjustment settings. (In case it's not clear, those are typos in the game. ) Both control options work well on the iPad. Normally I would choose the touch option, but I like the look of the parallax scrolling so much, I'll probably stick with tilt for this game.

Cons:

-Spelling errors. There are several of them on various menu and help screens. They aren't too hard to ignore, though.

-It's breakout. It looks nice, but aside from the aesthetics, the game doesn't add a lot to the genre. It's worth the price for the looks alone, but don't expect ground breakingly new gameplay. There are power ups and power downs(?). One power up adds a life. Most of the other power ups don't appear to be positive. One speeds up the ball. One shortens the paddle. One even changes the shape of the paddle, which is kind of cool.

Overall, I would say that this is well worth the sale price of $0.99. If I were a huge breakout fan, it may even be worth the normal price of $2.99. Its Universal. There are a sufficient number of levels...maybe 40. Only 4 levels are open at once, but there's not much to clearing a board to open more levels. There's really no place to get stuck, so the locked levels are a nonissue.

I would hesitate to say "highly" recommended...but it's definitely just plain ol' recommended, especially at this price. And, if you're a fan of the genre, you should check it out for a dollar. I don't regret the purcase. I may even try to clear the available levels before I delete it, so that's saying something... I think.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:50 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Thanks for the in depth review and for doing the TOFTT. I may pick this up and feel like I owe you one!
Old 01-04-2012, 11:49 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Ok, so, I went ahead and bought it. I don't say this to fault you in any way, but there is no way I could recommend this game. Yes, it looks great and some of the special power-ups are very cool, but it can take forever to clear a level. The gameplay is very slow and monotonous (OK, so I was playing Super Crate Box before this, but still). I give it one star. Ouch!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:28 AM

Default Game Impressions

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 01-05-2012, 03:34 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Hmmm i'm torn on this one, i know its dirt cheap so i should just get it anyway. But there just seems something missing, perhaps the ball needs to speed up after a while or the power ups need to change slightly (doesnt seem to be a 'laser' type add on). Love the graphics and the way the screen tilts slightly but just seems something lacking