★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Cleaning up the underbelly of the app stores!

01-05-2012, 03:32 AM
Cleaning up the underbelly of the app stores!

Apple is now treating updates and new releases equally now. Most developers including my team never had an ounce of faith that this concept could ever work. We were very wrong.

Surprisingly it has been very positive for iLifeTouch so far. We are putting less emphasis on new builds and we have a more comfortable balance between new builds and updates. Our existing apps are actually being improved.

The extra workload was handled well by Apple and the reviewers even released most apps for Xmas.

So here is the reason for this post.

The underbelly of the store that most of us fall victim to sooner or later in my opinion can be improved and cleaned up.

Here are some clean up ideas that are open for discussion.

1. To remain on the store apps must be updated every 6 months.

2. Paid apps must reach a certain dollar amount every year to remain on the store.

3. Free apps that don't reach a certain download number are eliminated automatically

4. Apps that appear abandoned are removed from the store.

I think this would help everyone in a positive way. The store needs to be pruned to make room for new growth.

STR8TS , STR8TS 6X6 , DOMINO DICE , PUZZLE DICE,
CAVEMAN TEST, 1 TO 25, SUDOKU+STR8TS, ZARTE, ABSORB WATER, YOU, TIME SHEET (PHOTO VERIFIED),Office Alarm, Travel weather, dock clock,

Last edited by Syndicated Puzzles; 01-05-2012 at 04:03 AM.
01-05-2012, 05:40 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to mobile1up
mm.. what happens when the application is complete and doesn't need updating?

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP is a proud indie developer - support us!
developer of Caveman / Caveman HD and GW Series

01-05-2012, 07:15 AM
I agree with some of your points, There are a lot of applications out there that are cluttering up the store.

But there are a few apps out there that have a lot of potential, but havent been marketed correctly so havent recieved the amount of downloads they should have, having a barrier that apps must beat could get rid of a lot of these applications

Allan
01-05-2012, 07:16 AM
whats with devs who flood the appstore with reskinned stuff over and over? who release more than questionable products and call that quality?

the appstore is cleaning itself due to being a subscription based program..

if your app does not well most devs won't prolonge their subscription and therefore their apps get removed from the store..

i don't see any validity in any of the four points.. but a strong one from 1up..

its obvious that the appstore is not about quality nor quantity (which you prefer) but about a simple open playfield anyone can participate for 99$ a year

its openness is the reason the appstore is such a success and putting anymore limitations behind it won't make it better..

also its pretty pointless to scrape off the bottom feeder of the store.. since they do not attract much interest anyway.. so how can the mass amount of scrap down there get in the way of the top notch products you see swimming atop?

angry birds will stay in the top 10 no matter if they are a hundred app out there who make 1$ a day or 100.000.. it does not matter.. except for apple themself.. of course.. having a store with 500k apps in them is alot better press than having one with 50k ... that attracts new customers..
01-05-2012, 07:21 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to mobile1up
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.Ugly View Post
the appstore is cleaning itself due to being a subscription based program..
this is 100% true. if your apps make less than the $99 subscription fee - or you simply cannot be bothered to support/maintain your account.. the applications will go away. i guess, if apple wanted to be nasty they could increase this fee to $9999.99 per year and we'll quickly see a number of people jumping ship. this is kinda the inhibitive pricing system that nintendo/sony do with their handheld consoles..

question is - would you have signed up for apple/ios development if it was not $99 USD/year? seems you like the easy entry point but do not want others to have it so easy as well. the app store is a market place; will always be competition and noise.

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP is a proud indie developer - support us!
developer of Caveman / Caveman HD and GW Series
01-05-2012, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicated Puzzles View Post
Update activity is not necessarily strongly correlated to quality or saleability.

Quote:
1. To remain on the store apps must be updated every 6 months.
We have several games not updated for at least that long that still sell hundreds of copies a day and have high ratings. Should they be pulled down?

We recently had a game not updated for 9 months get into the US Top 10 Paid Overall. Should it have been pulled down instead?

Quote:
4. Apps that appear abandoned are removed from the store.
How could Apple possibly determine without doubt whether an app has been "abandoned"?
01-05-2012, 10:34 AM
All good points. I guess what really comes out of this is the fact that the underbelly is just the place where apps hibernate and disappear out of plain view. The access to an open market is probably the most important point of all. Placing limitations on a free marketplace is probably not such a great idea raising the subscription price to 299,- would probably have a more profound cleansing effect.

STR8TS , STR8TS 6X6 , DOMINO DICE , PUZZLE DICE,
CAVEMAN TEST, 1 TO 25, SUDOKU+STR8TS, ZARTE, ABSORB WATER, YOU, TIME SHEET (PHOTO VERIFIED),Office Alarm, Travel weather, dock clock,
01-05-2012, 06:44 PM
good conversation
the TA forums rule
01-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikPok View Post
Update activity is not necessarily strongly correlated to quality or saleability.

We have several games not updated for at least that long that still sell hundreds of copies a day and have high ratings. Should they be pulled down?

We recently had a game not updated for 9 months get into the US Top 10 Paid Overall. Should it have been pulled down instead?

How could Apple possibly determine without doubt whether an app has been "abandoned"?

How long have you been making games?
01-06-2012, 11:56 PM
I haven't updated Daredevil Dave since July, 2010 It's about #45 in racing as of this moment and hasn't fallen below 50 for more than a few moments at a time since it was released in May, 2010. (Topped out at app store #6 or 8) So no, I'm definitely not for rule #1 in the OP.

I'm not at all crazy about Apple reverting back to the "old days" where updates were on the same list as new releases. Why not make a separate section for updates? With over a half million apps in the store, you know this is going to get abused.

They should at least have a limit to how often an update can be released, with exceptions for emergencies maybe. Otherwise, have fun sorting through the weekly updates for every crap-app in the store.

You may make more money this way for now, but once everyone else gets on board it's going to be a mess.

I do plan on doing a lot of content additions after the initial release of Dave 2. Having said that, I am still against updates sharing the new release list.