★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: The best racing game A.T.M.

View Poll Results: Vote for the best racing game:
Moto Chaser 2 5.56%
Crash Bandicoot 5 13.89%
Raging Thunder 0 0%
Asphalt 4 11 30.56%
Cro Mag 1 2.78%
Fastlane 17 47.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll
11-14-2008, 05:36 AM
The best racing game A.T.M.

Vote for the best racing game at the moment

Choices:
- Moto Chaser
- Crash Bandicoot
- Raging Thunder
- Asphalt 4
- Cro Mag
- Fastlane
- Black Mamba
- GTS World Racing

Give a little comment on your vote too.

And don't say: "Because it is good!"
^^

Please come up with a 2nd Gen iPod Jailbreak!

Last edited by Oma; 11-14-2008 at 06:16 AM.
11-14-2008, 05:50 AM
Here is my current rating:
  1. Fastlane
    Smooth and fast, detailed graphics, no career mode or tuning, no damage system (it seems to be impossible to die)
  2. Raging Thunder
    Car arcade racer, checkpoint racer, cup racing, smooth and later stuttering graphics, muddy sound, some tuning and a little bit career mode
  3. Asphalt 4
    "real" game, much content, smooth graphics, career mode with tuning, drifts automatically, which is annoying. The only racer which has the same amount of content than on the Nintendo DS.
  4. Moto Chaser
    motorcycle checkpoint racer, smooth graphics, over-sensitive controls
  5. Black Mamba
    Classic Top-View-Drift-Racer. Smooth Graphics, really bad sound effects, which sound like these air-to-ground-attack-warning sirens in war.
  6. GTS World Racing
    formula 1 racer, smooth graphics, low sense of speed, strange on-rails-feeling, sound nearly non-existing, boring landscape
  7. Pole Position
    Retro Formula 1 racer. Nice graphics and sound (retro!!), smooth, but you die when you touch something.
  8. Nitro Kart 3D
    Mario Kart clone, unplayable stuttering graphics (would be on position 3, if the graphics were smooth)
  9. Cro Mag Rally
    kart racer, pixelated objects, very free and therefore "unkarty" feeling, only great in submarine mode in Atlantis
  10. Audi
  11. Scroll Driver

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de

Last edited by Oliver; 11-14-2008 at 07:39 AM.

11-14-2008, 06:00 AM
Haha! Funnily Oliver, I agree with each of your comments, and the order you put the games in! However, I can't comment on Black Mamba (didn't like the lite version), PP, Nitro, Audi, or Scroll Driver, as I don't have those.
But otherwise, it's a case of "what he said"
11-14-2008, 06:01 AM
I only have Fastlane, Moto Chaser and Black Mamba Racing.
Fastlane wins outright for technical achievement, level of excitement playing, and very fluid graphics. Drifting part could do with a slight tune-up, but that could also be its own style... not everyone has to follow RR or Daytona type driving, but it does make it more accessible.
Moto Chaser was nice being fast, and due credit for it being the first racer, but its a little empty.
BMR is surprisingly good on the gameplay, i really love it. But since its not on the list, I can't vote, hahaha.
11-14-2008, 06:17 AM
Can anyone add these 2 games to the vote list?
- Black Mamba
- GTS World Racing
I can't do that =(

Please come up with a 2nd Gen iPod Jailbreak!
11-14-2008, 06:22 AM
Definitely Fastlane! I bought it today and I am impressed! Yes, drifting could be improved a bit but once you know how to do it is ok. Graphics and framerate are excellent.
11-14-2008, 06:58 AM
Asphalt and Powerboat ftw

Without a doubt Asphalt. It features tons of real-world cars and upgrades, 9 (i think) cities and 5 racing modes. The graphics are among the best on the iPhone to date. The controls are also top-notch.
I still can't believe this is an iPhone game. It looks more like a DS or PSP game.

Now I haven't played Fastlane but from what I can tell it hasn't even half of the content of Asphalt.

Another great racing game is Powerboat but it's kind of short unless you play through it with every character.

The worst racer I have played (besides Audi) is Motochaser. I bought it when it came out (it was called Moto Racer then) for full price and its like 99 cents now. What a rip-off.
11-14-2008, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiller ONE View Post
Without a doubt Asphalt. It features tons of real-world cars and upgrades, 9 (i think) cities and 5 racing modes. The graphics are among the best on the iPhone to date. The controls are also top-notch.

Now I haven't played Fastlane but from what I can tell it hasn't even half of the content of Asphalt.
I see what you're saying about Asphalt and to some extent I agree. I like the customization and the unlockables etc etc. What I don't like is the accelerometer control method (I refuse to use any other method). I think they need a sensitivity option for one thing. Not only that, when you want to use that method, they stupidly force you to be able to tilt forward to turbo as well as be able to use the turbo button- why??? I ALWAYS end up using turbo when I don't WANT to! It's a shame because I would have liked it even more (because don't get me wrong, I do actually like this game) if they could just add these options.
11-14-2008, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
I see what you're saying about Asphalt and to some extent I agree. I like the customization and the unlockables etc etc. What I don't like is the accelerometer control method (I refuse to use any other method). I think they need a sensitivity option for one thing. Not only that, when you want to use that method, they stupidly force you to be able to tilt forward to turbo as well as be able to use the turbo button- why??? I ALWAYS end up using turbo when I don't WANT to! It's a shame because I would have liked it even more (because don't get me wrong, I do actually like this game) if they could just add these options.
Yeah I have to admit you're right. Its especially annoying if you're are playing in a car or on the train. The turbo activates ALL the time. But I think this is no dealbreaker, Asphalt is still better than 99,9% of all the crap on the appstore that call themself games.

btw: nice blog you got there I immediately suscribed to your rss feed.
11-14-2008, 07:37 AM
I think I would love Asphalt (and I played it on the DS ), when the controls would be right. But they broke it. Defenitely. For me, it's unusable and annoying. Nitro whenever the bus I'm sitting in drives around corners? WTF? I have a nitro button, don't bind nitro on tilting! And the autodrift just annoys me to hell. Autodrift is the cause, I removed Asphalt. And of course that Gameloft just doesn't get the idea of letting US control the sensitivity. Asphalt was over-sensitive, a bit like MotoChaser. MotoChaser fixed this, but in Asphalt they lowered the sensitivity so much, that I now have to tilt my iPhone in such ridiculous amounts, that it just makes no fun at all. I'm really really annoyed by Asphalt because it could be a really great racer. It has the graphics. It has the content. But not the controls. It's nice if someone likes it this way, but many don't. And just because Gameloft does not let US decide how the controls should work, the game is broken . And from the point of no-tilt-controls Pole Position wins. The slider-control works surprisingly good - better than the tilt controls!

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de