★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How about an "Indie" section in the App Store?

01-06-2012, 05:47 AM
How about an "Indie" section in the App Store?

As a lot of indie developers are struggling with trying to find a proper audience, how about we get together to ask Apple for an "Indie" section in the App Store? This way, reviewers and users alike could find indie content (similar to how such a category exists in the Stream store for PC games).

For Indie games to be included, they would have to have a team size of equal-below ~3 people (to be defined), and they would probably have to be somewhat original in some way (say, a novel game concept, or a unique type of art concept, or a new take on something existing). Both iPhone and iPad would be OK. Apple could offer a specific queue where we could submit our games.

What do you all think?

See you in Manyland, an infinite 2d sandbox mmo we all draw together!

Last edited by Philipp; 01-06-2012 at 05:50 AM.
01-06-2012, 07:30 AM
- No way how you can track how many people worked on a game
- "Indie" does mean a variety of things for a variety of people
- The AppStore already is one of the indie-friendliest markets you can find
- "Original" is a tough term to define, as well

Not a good idea at all, to be honest.

15 Coins - @Toucharcade

My humble Portfolio: www.acumen-design.de/blog
Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/fabi_smith

01-06-2012, 08:11 AM
I kind of like the idea, although I think it would be difficult to put in to practice.

If you had say 2 charts and you decide which one you want to be in ie Main chart or indie chart for instance, people have to look in two places to find your game. More work as customers have to look in two places / do 2 separate searches.

I'd like to see some extra for indies, but what that is that would benefit all would take some figuring out.

Fantasy Adventure eBook set on a magical writer's desk available for DOWNLOAD @ http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9K3KTW
01-06-2012, 08:57 AM
I don't like the idea. Majority of customers will simply ignore this section.
01-06-2012, 11:55 AM
I like the idea, but not sure how Apple would implement it. Maybe some restriction when you sign up for a developer's membership on the AppStore, during the approval process Apple can determine whether you are a "major" or an "indie" developer.

Additionally, I think that for it to succeed the Indie section would also have to have the same genres as the main store, so that user's can still find the strategy, arcade, action, etc. game they're looking for.

Sounds like a lot of work for Apple, and not sure what their motivation would be. They're making plenty of money as it is, so is it worth any effort on their part to help indie devs, who generally aren't earning them much?

-m
01-06-2012, 02:11 PM
What I'd hope for is a featured indie section, permanently placed next to the 'new and noteworthy' and 'what's hot' tabs in the games section and for each category.

I think it'd be easier for Apple to come up with a 'who's not an indie' list and filter out all of those instead of the other way around. Criteria could be notoriety (ie, if Apple employees say 'who is this?' then you're still indie) and/or sales (since Apple certainly keeps track of that).

Looking for a writer? PM me

Game Designer of:
Family Feud Matches Gaming with a side of Matchmaking!
Family Feud 2 My First Huge Apple Feature!
Pickpawcket
And more!
01-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackharon View Post
What I'd hope for is a featured indie section, permanently placed next to the 'new and noteworthy' and 'what's hot' tabs in the games section and for each category.

I think it'd be easier for Apple to come up with a 'who's not an indie' list and filter out all of those instead of the other way around. Criteria could be notoriety (ie, if Apple employees say 'who is this?' then you're still indie) and/or sales (since Apple certainly keeps track of that).
This....actually might work. Or even just a permanent section anywhere on the featured page. Pick maybe 10 games a week they like and feature 'em. But there'd have to be some boundaries, like it has to have had some sort of update/ come out (and missed N&N in the past month or so...or it could just be a current favorite from apple's selection people...

I don't want a signature.
01-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerBlue016 View Post
This....actually might work.
I have my 'not so crazy' moments

Looking for a writer? PM me

Game Designer of:
Family Feud Matches Gaming with a side of Matchmaking!
Family Feud 2 My First Huge Apple Feature!
Pickpawcket
And more!
01-06-2012, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSpiral View Post
If you had say 2 charts and you decide which one you want to be in ie Main chart or indie chart for instance, people have to look in two places to find your game.
No, I meant it differently: "Indie" would just be another category, just like right now you can choose to put your game in two categories (say "action" and "arcade"). So Indie games would be in the very same charts as other games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRPgames
Majority of customers will simply ignore this section.
I suppose, as it is, the majority of customers already ignores most subsections, except for "main" apps and "games". However, an Indie section might be read by review blogs who want to give those games a chance. And review blogs (like the terrific TouchArcade!) are certainly read by some users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betelnutgames
I think that for it to succeed the Indie section would also have to have the same genres as the main store
Sure! Just like now, you'd be able to choose 2 categories for your app (e.g. before you might have chosen "Action" and "Arcade", and now you'd choose "Action" and "Indie").

Quote:
Sounds like a lot of work for Apple, and not sure what their motivation would be.
What do you think is the motivation for Steam to implement this section? I think it's for players who want to find a certain type of content... to find it.
http://store.steampowered.com/genre/Indie/

I certainly agree that defining what game is "Indie" is a blurred line, but that's true for any other gaming category as well (is my game "arcade" or "puzzle" or "action" or ...). But perfect is the enemy of good. How about a good-enough Indie section -- "good" because it exposes interesting stuff players otherwise wouldn't have found as easily (because there's no submission queue specifically for original small-team content, and we indie developers get mixed up with marketers who have a much bigger campaign budget)?

See you in Manyland, an infinite 2d sandbox mmo we all draw together!
01-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Sounds like that category would get very cluttered...very fast! I really don't think it'll make any difference. From our experience, unless u're in top 100, you won't make much! So unless that category only has about 100 games, as soon as it goes over that, u're back to square one - first 100 make money; others don't.

Twitter: @PeterBabiy
Site: www.strappedtoameteor.com
Games: Go Go Giraffe | DEO | Mr. Dreamer