★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Super Crate Box vs. Muffin Knight

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Super Crate Box 84 55.63%
Muffin Knight 45 29.80%
Both are equal 17 11.26%
Both of them stink 5 3.31%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll
01-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Super Crate Box vs. Muffin Knight

Well we know who came first, SCB was released for Windows in May 2010 and MK came out in Sep 2011, but which one do you like better. Don't vote unless you actually have both games (as if saying that will actually make a difference).

MK has benefited from over 4 months of life on the AppStore and has received frequent updates. MK has more levels, more weapons, more unlockables and online multiplayer. It also has IAPs which are not necessary but some people hate anyway. More weapons and the ability to upgrade them, combined with the added perks and heart upgrades makes MK a much more forgiving game.

SCB has just three levels right now, three game modes, and no mp as of yet. SCB is harder with wicked fast unforgiving gameplay. But man is it satisfying to beat your high scores!

Both have exceptionally high fun/addiction factors. Both have spot-on controls with MK being a little floatier and SCB being slightly faster.

Last edited by squarezero; 01-06-2012 at 12:15 PM.
01-06-2012, 12:18 PM
The main thing I didn't like about MK was the floatyness , SCB feels smoother and more fun for me. Not that I didn't like MK, it was fun, just not better.

01-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin
Originally Posted by RaptorF35 View Post
The main thing I didn't like about MK was the floatyness , SCB feels smoother and more fun for me. Not that I didn't like MK, it was fun, just not better.
Hahah that is how I feel about SCB...the controls feel a lot less fluid, while MK feels smoother.

After hearing all of the hype about SCB, I was really disappointed by it. Muffin Knight has so much more in terms of unlockables, rewards, smoother gameplay, and much more appealing graphics/style. But that's just me.

i'm a pretty kitty cat
01-06-2012, 01:15 PM
The basic platforming in Muffin Knight feels perfect to me. Add to that a ton of content (albiet with a few annoying glitches) and you have an amazing game.

Super Crate Box doesn't feel quite fun to me yet.
01-06-2012, 02:04 PM
I enjoyed both games equally. Each has it's own merit. MK has a lot more to offer but it seams to simplistic and quick to be over. Where as SCB had less polish on the levels and characters but was simply more difficult and more satisfying when you beat a score and unlocked a character or mode.
01-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Voted for SCB. As to why, I will quote my post from the SCB thread:

Originally Posted by ninjackid View Post
Whoa, a lot of posts since I last posted, o_O

But as far as the MK Vs. SCB discussion, I think it really depends on the gaming style of the one playing. Those who (like me) like fast-paced extreme-to-the-point-of-frustration difficultly, retro pixel art, that just-one-more-try appeal and just a quick pick-up-n-play game for when you got a few minutes a day to kill, are probably going to like SCB.

Meanwhile those who like the unique level up system, more modern graphics, quirky style and storyline, the generally easier and more arcade-like experience of MK, are probably going to like MK more.

As for me, like I said a couple pages back, while both are fun, well-polished games, I tend to like SCB for the qualities I mentioned above.

Currently Enjoying: BUG HEROES 2
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Ninny speaks the truth.
01-06-2012, 03:45 PM
For me it's SCB. Not just because it's the original game, but because it's more fast-paced, it has pixel graphics and the jumping is not as floaty as in MK. Both are excellent games and even though MK has more content, I still found SCB more addicting.

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
01-06-2012, 03:53 PM
It's hard to say at this point because both seem like there will be substantial updates so they are a work in progress. SCB only has there stages (they will obviously add more) but Muffin Knight has added a capture the flag mode and multiplayer (with more coming soon). Right now based on mechanics alone I prefer Muffin Mnight. SCB has hit detection that feels slightly off leaning towards death by vague enemy radius and MK is more polished although SCB is amazing and has more frantic enemy pacing and stages that seem more strategic. In the end developer support and content updates cod swing this either way.
01-06-2012, 04:28 PM
To be honest I'm sick to the back teeth of retro graphics, so given the choice between a very playable game with really, really dated graphics and one that is equally playable but has very good graphics there's no competition. Just my opinion.
01-06-2012, 06:53 PM
SCB is pure fun! The fact that you die so much but keep coming back for the butt whoopin is proof of that. All of the added content in Muffin Knight didn't do anything for me. It was a dull, boring game that was skinned with, the ever popular, "Googly Eyes".

I wonder if MK would've gotten 5 million crates, or whatever, as fast as SCB did. There are a lot of googly eyed lovers on iOS so...

All in all, SCB beats MK when it comes to controls, gameplay, and overall action. Muffin Knight is like a sad puppy...but, ya know, in that cute googly eyed way.

Also, I love retro graphics...ya so what. Hell, most of them have more personality than the modern day graphics. Don't get me wrong modern day stuff is cool too (i.e. IB2, Lumi, Glowfish).

Game Center: GoofyJmaster My Twitter; Weekly Game Impressions! Thread; Game Guide 2011
Playing Frederic Resurrection of Music, Jazz: Trump's Journey, Russian Dancing Men, & Cytus