★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Is gamesalad game-breaking

01-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Is gamesalad game-breaking

So, I am currently making a app with Gamesalad. I am two weeks into it, and I am confident that I can make a respectible quality game with a fair amount of polish. I have been programming for 2 years now. My question is, will Gamesalads reputation impact the app, and should I program in Cocos2D or somesuch instead?
01-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixlepix View Post
So, I am currently making a app with Gamesalad. I am two weeks into it, and I am confident that I can make a respectible quality game with a fair amount of polish. I have been programming for 2 years now. My question is, will Gamesalads reputation impact the app, and should I program in Cocos2D or somesuch instead?
If you upgrade to Pro, and use a custom splash screen, most people won't know it's GameSalad
...unless you tell them it's GameSalad.

There is a lot of GameSalad hate out there, but some GameSalad games do get respect.

Michael Garofalo - App Developer and author of The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook.

01-09-2012, 11:17 PM
I know of a few great GameSalad games and I think it's an awesome bit of kit. The only major downside for me as a gamer is the load times, but provided you're not looking at a load screen every five seconds it shouldn't be too annoying.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
01-10-2012, 12:22 AM
This is harsh, but you asked for opinions. Honestly, there is so much competition in the App Store, can you afford to take the chance on an inferior game engine?

As for my background, I am strictly a user under IOS, but I made my living from developing software applications on the PC.

Game Center: MarinasideSteve
01-10-2012, 01:17 AM
There are some great GameSalad games, so if you make a good game it will not be an issue for most people.

The sad thing is no matter how good your game is it is extremely hard to not get burried in the onslaught of everyday game releases and updates.
01-10-2012, 02:01 AM
"It won't be an issue for most people" is a big understatement!

Let's say there are 100 000 people playing your game. How many of these people have actually an idea of how a game is being made. And how many of these have ever heard of game salad? I am a professional artist for videogames for years and sometimes I get still asked by friends or family what game I'm currently "programming". I know this is a developer forum but why do you care about your reputation in such a small circle if your goal is to get your game to a much bigger crowd. Truth is people don't give a ...

Do you need a 2d artist?
http://www.hanka-design.com
01-10-2012, 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Hanka View Post
"It won't be an issue for most people" is a big understatement!

Let's say there are 100 000 people playing your game. How many of these people have actually an idea of how a game is being made. And how many of these have ever heard of game salad? I am a professional artist for videogames for years and sometimes I get still asked by friends or family what game I'm currently "programming". I know this is a developer forum but why do you care about your reputation in such a small circle if your goal is to get your game to a much bigger crowd. Truth is people don't give a ...
Well that's not really accurate, all you have to do is read through some threads here and you will find a large number of people that hate GameSalad made games. The main reasons are loading times, no Universal Builds, no online multiplayer and a small group of crap developers that flooded the market with copied templates.

I use GameSalad and it works for me and while I know the average person may not know how I am making the game, they will complain about the lack of features I can offer. Oh and 100,000 people is fantasy land, now days 1000 would be a high mark and I know many people that get less than 100 plays.
01-10-2012, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaTime View Post
Well that's not really accurate, all you have to do is read through some threads here and you will find a large number of people that hate GameSalad made games. The main reasons are loading times, no Universal Builds, no online multiplayer and a small group of crap developers that flooded the market with copied templates.

I use GameSalad and it works for me and while I know the average person may not know how I am making the game, they will complain about the lack of features I can offer. Oh and 100,000 people is fantasy land, now days 1000 would be a high mark and I know many people that get less than 100 plays.
How is 100 000 people fantasy land? I picked this number because I would never aim lower when making a game for this platform. Making games is a fine hobby but when you make a living out of it then 100 to 1000 players doesn't pay the bills.

Do you need a 2d artist?
01-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Markus, just because making a living off 100 to 1000 players doesn't pay the bills, doesn't mean you can arbitrarily pick 100,000...
Before you can GET 100,000 you have to have something people are willing to share. Unless you go free, you have to have something VERY good to nail 100,000 players. Whether or not it can be done with Gamesalad is really beside the point. Getting 100k is going to be tough no matter what.
01-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Racingspider, I agree with you, the game has to be very good and it will be tough.
And that is exactly my point in saying I 'm aiming for that number. You have to set yourself a goal and I like to aim high. I read "1000 players would be a high mark" like this: "I'm satisfied with 1000 players. It can't get better anyway. I don't have to do anything different next time." With such an attitude there is no critical revaluation an therefore no improvement. People here shouldn't drag each other down but encourage each other. Having success with your game isn't impossible and it's not unrealistic. In fact you can make it happen with talent, smart thinking and hard work.

Do you need a 2d artist?